can the bamboo save dom rep.?

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
i do think it can. massive planting projects with students and dept of agric. teaching and learning... erosion control. i havent seen the mountain eroding where the bamboo is planted. can bamboo be sold as an export?? yes... =jobs can furniture be made out of it yes = jobs and exports...the d.r. taxes imports and exports... more $$$ taxes...construction and building ... yes very popular in other parts of the world... houses built faster and cheaper. jobs taxes skills... putting some empty wharehouses to work... making furniture.. oh people lov bamboo furniture.... planting bamboo is good for all... good for greenhouse gas exchange $$$ program. building, erosion, farming teaching factories. i have seen wood houses here that are very old... no need for concrete boxes..

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
i do think it can. massive planting projects with students and dept of agric. teaching and learning... erosion control. i havent seen the mountain eroding where the bamboo is planted. can bamboo be sold as an export?? yes... =jobs can furniture be made out of it yes = jobs and exports...the d.r. taxes imports and exports... more $$$ taxes...construction and building ... yes very popular in other parts of the world... houses built faster and cheaper. jobs taxes skills... putting some empty wharehouses to work... making furniture.. oh people lov bamboo furniture.... planting bamboo is good for all... good for greenhouse gas exchange $$$ program. building, erosion, farming teaching factories. i have seen wood houses here that are very old... no need for concrete boxes..

From what I've been told is, and I'm no expert, that the bamboo growing in this part of the world doesn't have the quality that the bamboo has from the Far-East therefore as a commercial product it's not suited.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
The main Bamboo product I have seen hereis the one that is used to hold bottlesof Presidente Beer to keep it cold.
Howsomeever, such a product would sure go over great in the Stateside Bars and Lounges, one introduced.
Some investor should look into that for an export item while growing theirown bamboo for asustainable supply.

Texas Bill

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
The Taiwanese grow Bamboo and have a furniture factory right here in Haiti.
They make bamboo furniture export work just fine.
In fact it is just down the road from "Morne Bamboo" - or Bamboo mountain as it has been known since anyone can remember.
I thought it grew here anyways - I wondered about whether it was an indigenous or imported tree/grass.

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
There are different types of bamboo, but my understanding is that the one from Central America and the Caribbean is of inferior quality than the one grown in S.E. Asia. My concern is that even though it's a grass, is that it might constitute monoculture of one species. Keith, give me a hand here, will ya??

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I'm not an expert on bamboo, Jon, but I can check into it. I know a couple of my neighbors here in Virginia have one variety in their yards that grows tall and in thick groves, and makes a great natural noise barrier. But beyond that.... well, I'll read up on it.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Bamboo is a MUST for the DR - Just think of all the yolas you could build with it!! You could also then build sides & partial roof to the yolas so as to protect the 'passengers' from the intense heat of the sun whilst making the crossing!! :pirate: ;) :ermm: ~ Grahame.

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
remember the mobay part...

the bamboo or wood was huge in jamaica. It is a very cheap alternative to board lumber. Is it going to last forever? Not in this place. Good for bisness, yes if you know what i mean...They have bamboo avenue... a huge ancient growth on both sides of the highway. the stalks fall together and the noise is wonderful. a tourist attraction. People like eco tourism.. See how and where it grows, etc,.
I stayed in a bamboo shack on the beach in Negril.. Years ago but the room was cheap. Low crime. no closets ,just nails. It was erected in two or three days at minimal cost. It provided alot of income to the owners.
In fact when they moved , i lit the match... Bigest fire ive been a witness to.
Thailand ....lots of bamboo lots of industry. wHAT a good idea. Could you imagine sosua full of latin chicks looking for guys with bamboo$$$. Guys with the big bamm boo$$$ ...they wood find a place to put it..
It wood go full circle...Put it in take it out...
Im not finished with my putting , now im waiting for the taking out part.. Think ill use my big wood for a city construction bisness... Build my own scaffolding right from my own plantings. or else sell it to furniture makers.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Thanks for the business idea Bamboo Bernie!
Stop by for a discount.

bamboorista

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are a lot of bamboo wind breaks around the banana growing areas...they grow so much that many are considered to be nuisances.

I would image that something like "curing" might have something to do with the wood...

It could be used in some ares for erosion controls...Hope Jaime David pick up onit..

HB

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
My plantings......

Where are the banana growing areas, I have noticed the on the tourist road there is no erosion near the bamboo growth areas. Is there something to this. It is growing on steep mountain sides and there is no erosion in that area.
I have planted mine on a curve and have found out that the road is to be fixed and my crop uprooted. Well thats how it is here.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Where are the banana growing areas, I have noticed the on the tourist road there is no erosion near the bamboo growth areas. Is there something to this. It is growing on steep mountain sides and there is no erosion in that area.
I have planted mine on a curve and have found out that the road is to be fixed and my crop uprooted. Well thats how it is here.

Don, interesting and informative topic, however, I find your English to be somewhat diffiult to understand at times, could you try to explain things a little more clearly/fully?

Feb 15, 2005

Yes please explain what you mean by "crop uprooted".

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
i think

being up-rooted is self explanitory, no????
So, i bought the plants here, paid to have them installed. and now have been informed that the road is going to be widened,(sp. ok?) Have you ever had anything up rooted??? Maybe misplanted??? Didn't take fruit??? cut short.. etc. P.s. when the grader goes thru it will probably destroy my planting..

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
being up-rooted is self explanitory, no????
So, i bought the plants here, paid to have them installed. and now have been informed that the road is going to be widened,(sp. ok?) Have you ever had anything up rooted??? Maybe misplanted??? Didn't take fruit??? cut short.. etc. P.s. when the grader goes thru it will probably destroy my planting..

The phrases or idiomatic expressions you use sometimes don't seem to match with the context of the sentences. This causes confusion because the reader doesn't know if you have used these type of phrases incorrectly. I highly recommend that you quit using such phrases and or idiomatic expressions first because they cause your post not to be understood and second is that their improper use will get you labeled by native speakers as unable to communicate in English. I also recommend that you quit the habit of forming incomplete sentences without a proper subject and also capitalize as needed.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Chip: What you mean you no understand? Can bamboo hold Presidente? Yes = jobs. Can bamboo hold Brahma? Yes = more jobs. How about bamboo for cabana bed? big Yes = lots of jobs for Cabana be makers. Bamboo good. Bamboo for police stick? Yes, of course, but then bamboo not good.

Bamboo makes my head hurt = jobs for doctors / psychologists.

Sorry, couldn't help it...The devil made me do it.