Pre-Paid Sim Card Question(s) Please Help

The Traveler

Jun 7, 2008
Hello everyone, I will be traveling to the DR again next month and had a question regarding Pre-Paid sim cards. I used the search function and even google (which brought up some threads/posts) on this subject from a few years back. Anyhow my question is this, I recently got my phone unlocked by my U.S carrier: T Mobile as I used my phone quite a bit while in the DR in December and those roaming charges killed me. To avoid paying those I decided it would be economically to my advantage to get my phone unlocked and use a PP sim card. I was told( by T Mobile) that I could keep my current phone number for use in the DR even when I purchase a pre-paid sim card from Orange, is this true? Also does anyone know the domination breakdowns in terms of phone time/price. I read the activation fee is roughly 350p and I just need to bring my passport.Thanks for any and all information. It is much appreciated.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I very much doubt if you can keep your US number (in fact I'm sure).

One piece of advice is to check that your phone is really unlocked in the US, before you leave (just put someone else's SIM, not T-Mobile, to see if it works).

Orange will give you a new SIM with a new DR number. As you said just take your passport and your phone. Ask them to put the SIM inside for you and test it (it's the best way to ensure everything works as it should, I even get them to call me from their mobile, and I call them before leaving their shop).

Another piece of advice, set your phone AND SIM lock. So if they are stolen they can't use either of them.

I'm not sure of the recent price, but it sounds about right. One thing to remember is that the Orange SIMs used to die after about 3 months if you take it with you and not use it at all (they won't work outside of the country). But you can get another one when you get back to DR (a new number though).

I tried to leave it with someone to top it up and keep it alive - but that was the last time I saw it.... ! Don't give away your SIM - it is registered to your name and passport and in the wrong hand could be an issue....

I love to find a SIM that doesn't die, so I can keep it forever - any feedback on that would be very useful....

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Excellent post Uzin

Uzin's advice is spot on. It couldn't be put any better.
I'm sure there's no such thing as a sim that doesn't die but you know what happens as soon as you say never... or no such thing....
Mack.

kanson

Apr 8, 2006
Very good info from Uzin, I try to keep my SIM from dying by having someone in DR add 50p or 100p to the number every 45 days while I am in the States with the SIM in hands.

The Traveler

Jun 7, 2008
Thanks Uzin, I really appreciate all of the info. I had an inkling that I could not keep my U.S. number when getting a PP sim from Orange, thanks for confirming that for me.