Las Terrenas--Underground Dangers

terrenero

Mar 25, 2006
Most streets in Las Terrenas look brand new after Secretary for Tourism, Lic. Francisco Javier Garcia, promised and delivered their repair. The top looks great but what lies beneath remains d-a-n-g-e-r-o-u-s. After a 230 million investment from CEIZTUR funds under previous Secretary "Felucho," the new sanitary sewage is still under construction. Recent overflows of the river Las Terrenas caused by heavy rains find many street outlets of the sewage system overflowing with water. The concern is that technical flaws in the system may cause raw sewage to run down the streets toward our wonderful beaches. If that were to occur it might signal the beginning of awful economic, social and sanitary consequences for everyone, including expensive investments in the area. To that effect I have filed a complaint/request with the Secretary of Tourism to look into the technical aspects of the project, and into the management aspects as well, as many people wonder what happened to the more than 6 million dollars invested in the project. Information about the complain (in Spanish) appear at TerrAcci?n: Solucitud/Denuncia Ante Secretario de Estado de Turismo.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
raw sewage to run down the streets toward our wonderful beaches. If that were to occur it might signal the beginning of awful economic, social and sanitary consequences for everyone, including expensive investments in the area. .

In Sosua there is no sewage system and it happens all the time for many years. So what? We are still alive somehow... Even have courage to swim in Sosua Bay. :paranoid:

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I believe Terrenero has a valid point... I agree the project should be re-evaluated, and the usage of the funds should be scrutinized.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Is this true?

In Sosua there is no sewage system and it happens all the time for many years. So what? We are still alive somehow... Even have courage to swim in Sosua Bay. :paranoid:

No sewage system in Sosua? I find that hard to believe.

Are we talking raw sewage running on the streets? Or what? There must be some system - or does everyone use septic tanks? If so, and if you are still showering in that water -- well -- perhaps your water table is better/less porous than Las Terrenas, which had a lot of wetlands.

Jose & Squat & whomever - I hope you jump in here as I don't live there anymore and only know parts of the story from visiting so am not sure that I have it right.

The development there was so haphazard and everyone built septic systems next to wells so that much of the water supply is contaminated. One of the main doctors in town, Dr. Polanco, told me that he has seen all sorts of skin conditions which he believes comes from the contaminated water, in which people shower.

Everyone was really pleased then, when the gov't said that they were going to build a sewage system. Particularly since there are lot of sort of hap hazaard dwellings that have gone up in town, in the barrios, which probably did not have even a septic system. But then there was a sudden rush to finish it and get the road paved - because - well - i am sure that other towns have had this happen "The President is coming on Thursday" ..So a paved main street it was.

Then there is an issue with the design of the system. Bringing in the sewer line down the main street to the lowest point in town (logical) but that unfortunately was also right on the town beach - next to the cemetery. Then these big concrete tanks are placed right in the sand. They were placed there, not really actually "buried" there. You could just imagine what would happen, if say, just for instance, there was a huge rainfall or some sort of thing where water got into the sewage system and the tanks overflowed and sewage started seeping out.

Then, as I understood it- there was supposed to be a system to pump the sewage out of those tanks, down across the length of Playa Bonita to a holding pond at Playas Ballenas. Do I have this right?

So I am not clear here if there was actually a leak of sewage or if the flooding river could enter the sewage pipe or what.....

But for the sake of the future of Las Terrenas - which has millions and millions of dollars (foreign and domestic) invested in it up til now-- I think it would be wise to listen to Dr. Bourget's concerns on this issue.