Foreigner drowned in Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Recently a foreigner drowned in Sosua Beach.

Anybody knows his/her nationality?

Thank you!

edm7583

May 29, 2007
From my intermediate Spanish, i see the article says she was with her husband on Playa Sosua snorkeling and he lost his mask and she was drowned (or she lost her mask)?? Unless she was really far out, that water isn't that deep. Is foul play suspected? (It says the homicide division of the Policia Nacional has the case)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the articles do not say that foul play is supected, but a dead has to be investigated until the def cause of deatd is found/sure.
the last article of the links states that they did snorkeling in the water under very unfavorable weather conditions, the husband lost contact with his spouse b/c he lost his snorkel mask, later on she been found dead by defensa civil personel. while the first 2 articles only talk about snorkeling the 3rd link is talking about diving.
Mike

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the article states that due to the bad weather/sea conditions the beaches been under alert/flagged=closed for activities, so if they got their equipment rented by a watersports center/company that company should get caught on that unacceptable business behavior. of course i am not looking for a excuse for people who enter the water for any activity, swimming, snorkeling, diving aso while the specific beach is under alert. like sorrily so often we miss the authorities(Marina de Guerra and in the tourist areas our 'famous' Politur) to do their fu$$ job and make sure that a closed beach area is not used by anybody for any activity, but we all know that during such bad weather/rain aso that Politur prefers to stay under the roof of some street bars and have some fun instead of doing their duty out there in the rain.
this article says Cabarete, the subject said Sosua.
where finally did she die?
Mike

Facility

Sep 3, 2008
Mike, to tell the truth, I'd rather rely on everyone's own wits to comply to the beach flags, rather then hand over to the Politur or any other authorities anny additional power to impose more and more of their own rules.

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
I have seen one person swimming that I remember and it seemed to take him or her 20 minutes to travel about 30 yards.............Didn't look good to me.....

todobien

Jul 20, 2008
how do you lose your mask?

i want to know how you can "lose" your mask and snorkel while snorkeling. why would you take it off while you're still in the water? i'm a diver and it doesn't make sense to me.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
this article says Cabarete, the subject said Sosua.
where finally did she die?
Mike

The only thing that we know for sure is that these monkey newspapers are not accurate. Why the photo?!?! How has that been taken? Is it even her on the photo??? Remember the photos of the Iclandic girl that got murdered in the shower I Cabarete. Why????

Another thing that we know for sure is that it will be a monkey investigation.

Still more pros than cons...

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
The only thing that we know for sure is that these monkey newspapers are not accurate. Why the photo?!?! How has that been taken? Is it even her on the photo??? Remember the photos of the Iclandic girl that got murdered in the shower I Cabarete. Why????

Another thing that we know for sure is that it will be a monkey investigation.

Still more pros than cons...

Strange that you mention that...as soon as I saw the photo the image of that Iclandic woman came to mind.
Guess its called censorship...or not!
Either way, very tragic to say the least.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Is it even her on the photo???

If you're referring to the photos on the links in post 2, no that wasn't her (library pics I imagine). The deceased lady had much shorter hair. There is a photo in El Nuevo Norte of the body after it was rescued. I won't post the link for obvious reasons but those who have a real need to see it can easily find it on that paper's website.

Fishguy

Oct 22, 2006
i want to know how you can "lose" your mask and snorkel while snorkeling. why would you take it off while you're still in the water? i'm a diver and it doesn't make sense to me.

Without wishing to stray farther from the OP, let's just say that a person can easily lose their mask and snorkel in rough seas.

During this past week the swells have been abnormally large. I've lost so many pairs of sunglasses in normal waves, let alone the type of waves we've seen here recently.

Let's not cast doubt on the person's abilities during this time of sorrow for those involved.

BTW - I'm also a diver, and can fully understand how someone can lose their equipment.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
what i dont get is the lack of lifeguards at popular beaches. I have personaly saved two people from drowning in the DR. (yes..i am trained). IT blows my mind that large boats and jet skis are allowed to go thru major swimming areas.

believer

Oct 12, 2005
What I don't get is how anyone in thier right mind will go out into the water in bad weather at all.....Its the freakin ocean! Ya can't see a damned thing under the water in those conditions anyway....I think people need to be responsible for thier own welfare.....God help us we turn into Canada where the government babysits your every move and enables people to depend on outside influences to tell them what to do so they don't need to THINK and use thier own judgement!

You'd think the fact that there is not a soul on the water, all the divers are staying home...would be a clue!

YIKES

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Condolences to the family. During the rains last week I saw a boat out at sea pulling one of the banana floats with four people riding on it. I couldn't believe it because the water was so rough. After watching for a minute all four people fell off and there was one guy inside the boat with rough waves trying to get them in the boat.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
What I don't get is how anyone in thier right mind will go out into the water in bad weather at all.....Its the freakin ocean! Ya can't see a damned thing under the water in those conditions anyway....I think people need to be responsible for thier own welfare.....God help us we turn into Canada where the government babysits your every move and enables people to depend on outside influences to tell them what to do so they don't need to THINK and use thier own judgement!

You'd think the fact that there is not a soul on the water, all the divers are staying home...would be a clue!

YIKES

While these are your opinions, it doesnt change the very sad reality that this family have lost their loved one and dont need to be berated for a very unfortunate accident.

My deepest condolences on their irreparable loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.