Looking for hotel for 1 night stay near Dreams Resort in Punta Cana

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
I have friends staying there for a week. Would love to find a not so pricey hotel so I can crash for one night there. I live in Santo Domingo, and will be taking a bus up there I guess. From what I can read it seems there is NOTHING nearby?? Does that literally mean nothing or just nothing to do for tourists. I want to be able to spend the afternoon and part of the evening with them, then find a hotel close by and sleep, before leaving the next morning. Any help will be appreciated.

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
There is a small hotel that my friends from out of town stay at when I'm in Bavaro. I don't remember the name but I will text message my Dominican friend and ask him to send me the name or number.

Maryanne

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
There are 2 Dreams properties in the PC area. One is in Cabezza de Toro, the other across from Secrets farther up past Bavaro and Cortecieto. Either way, Cortecieto Inn is $50 with a nice pool, clean basic rooms w/ac right next to the Beach. Small Dominican town, used to be low-keyed but now getting a little touristy. Also some nice spots to eat, shop or wet you whistle. About a 10-15 min. cab ride.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
like Joe said, there are 2 dreams properties in punta cana.
one is named dreams punta cana, that's the north of PC located one, secluded area.
the other one is named dreams palm beach(formerly Allegro resort) and located in Cabeza de Toro, here you have no prob to get a room for the night right aside, you may even consider to just book a room for 1 night at the resort with your friends, considering cabby fares to go around, meeting for some non AI drinks off the resort/dinner aso may be more comfo to just stay a night with them and all costs are hassle free covered.
Mike

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
Dreams bought out the old Sunscape properties other than the one in LR. Allegro is still next door. Sunscape Punta Cana Grande now Palms, and Sunscape the Beach now Dreams Punta Cana. Basicly Cortecieto is roughly in the middle, and only 15 minutes or so away. This town would also make for a good meeting spot, as well as a good day trip outing.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hi Joe,
dreams did not buy any sunscape property, they are the same company, selling their properties under different names with different service levels.
from my knowledge sunscape is the basic and when they uograde thei8r rooms/services/property aso they name it dreams.
the allegro is not anymore, the dreams palm beach is exactly what been former the allegro resort, that company bought/rented? the property.
what been former named the sunscape punta cana is now named oasis grand punta cana, with their newest section oasis grand bavaro right aside.
what been sunscape the beach in uvero alto is what is now named(since a year and still many rooms not "Transitioned", lol) dreams punta cana.
Mike

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
Mike, close but no cigar. Dreams and Sunscape are not the same properties owned by the same people. Just talked to Carin deVires a good friend in charge of room asignments at the old Sunscape in Cabezza de Toro. They have expanded their property on some vacant land which borders Allegro. Allegro is still where it was, and under the same name. Playa Hotels and Resorts is a Spanish company that goes by Dreams. They have aquired, bought the Sunscape chain of hotels that was owned and run by AM Resorts, totally different company. AM Resorts will continue to run the Dreams properties at this point.
http://www.playahr.com/news/press18_eng.pdf

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
Well Cigarjoe...hate to inform you, but Playa Resorts bought into the Amresorts branding. a few years back..they did not purchase it outright. Sunscape, Dreams and Secrets are all part of the AmResorts marketing group. Playa is also involved in the Barcelo group.

The decision to rebrand Sunscape in the Dominican, was a decision made prior to any internal involvement by Playa Resorts.

Alegro has not existed for sometime now. Mikefisher lives within a 1/4 mile of the resorts and if anyone should know what is there...and what is not...it would be him.

As for visiting your friends in Uvero Alto, you might want to coonsider a night's stay next door at Colony Bay. They have some attractive "locals" rates and the resort is within walking distance.

Cheers

PuntaCana Mike

Reactions: MikeFisher

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Joe,
PCMike told it exactly right.
since a long while we do not have anymore any Allegro Resort in Cabeza de Toro, nor at any other spot in the wide Punta Cana area.
as a matter of fact i live right on that beach a few hundred yards aside the former Allegro Resort, i have my sportfishing boats based at the Sportfishing Club right there.
what been former named Allegro Resort is now named Dreams Palm Beach, newly opened few weeks ago after they fully refurbished the ole prior Allegro. what company owns or runs the resorts is not much of my interest or knowledge, but as fact here we do not have any Allegro Resort, the prior named Allegro is now named Dreams Palm Beach.
happy Valentine's weekend
Mike

drgolfer

Aug 16, 2005
Just to clarify, because info given although appreciated, is all over the place. My friends ARE staying at Dreams resort at Punta Cana. Is there NO inexpensive hotel nearby to crash for 1 night? I am talking less than 50 bucks. I am not looking for a 30 minute cab ride either. Thanks for the help

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Just to clarify, because info given although appreciated, is all over the place. My friends ARE staying at Dreams resort at Punta Cana. Is there NO inexpensive hotel nearby to crash for 1 night? I am talking less than 50 bucks. I am not looking for a 30 minute cab ride either. Thanks for the help

that's what PCMike and myself tried to figure out to be clear where you will stay, because like i think we mentioned above, AT Punta Cana, in this wide area, we have 2!!! Dreams Resort.
on Dreams Resort in Punta Cana is simply named "Dreams Punta Cana", the other Dreams Resort in Punta Cana is named "Dreams Palm Beach", both are 45-50 driving minutes away from each others, so we would need to know at which one you stay to recommend lodging nearby.
if your friends stay at the Dreams PC you will not find any cheap non AI lodging nearby which would not make a cabby ride neccessary, and our cabbies over here are sorrily anything but cheap. in that case a room with AI together with your friends at the Dreams PC would be the better solution.
if they stay at the Dreams PB you will find a room right in town, Cabeza de Toro, no problem, but we are talking PC, don't expect any cheap, in addition to that you would need to pay your food and drinks when meeting your friends, who would not have AI at your meeting place neither.
to pay a 'cheap' room nearby and then a daypass to visit your friends at the resort for an afternoon would in my opinion finally add up to the same than to take a room there for a night and enjoy that AI together with your friends the whole day and night long. you always find $15-$20.- bucks caba?a rooms up in Veron and thouout the whole bavaro area(nothing near the Dreams Punta Cana), but cabby fares and extra food/drinks when meeting the friends would add up easily to what a room with AI there would cost you.
happy Valentine's weekend
Mike

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
Mike, I just found a website that explains why we had differences of opinion here. Playa Resorts bought BOTH the old Sunscape and Allegro, combined the two after renovations to the new Dreams Palm Beach. I have been going there for the past 12 years or so, last in 07.
So you must live in the Batey? from what you describe....and across from the Marine Police? Before he moved to LMR Santana was a close friend of mine.
However.... the properties were bought by Playa Resorts from AM Resorts, and being run by AM.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Sorry cigarjoe you still don't quite have it right...

The former Sunscape resort at Cabeza de Toro was taken over by Globalia Hotels which operates two resorts there; Hotel Grand Oasis Punta Cana and Hotel Grand Oasis Bavaro. As I understand it they added to the former resort and split it in two.

The former Allegro property (in the same general area) was purchased by Playa resorts (primarily but not exclusively funded by Barcelo Hotels) and was turned over to AMResorts under a management contract. It was operated for a while as a Sunscape property but then was upgraded and renamed Dreams Palm Beach.

The resort closer to Uvero Alto, which was originally built as Sunscape the Beach, was recently upgraded and renamed Dreams Punta Cana.

This, as I understand it is the story of the three resorts which have been discussed.

If the OP is looking for accommodations near Dreams Palm Beach, he has been given several alternatives BUT if he is looking for accommodations near Dreams Punta Cana, there simply are none and taxi fares are going to be a necessity, no matter how little this option appeals to you.

Gregg

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
Greg, read this link of Playa Resorts. They just bought the Sunscape the beach property from AM Resorts, it's not a newly named facelift. Globalia has been out of the picture for a while.
http://www.playahr.com/news/press18_eng.pdf Let me know if we're not reading this the same, or I'm missing something here.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Joe,
it is exactly like Gregg wrote it.
there been no 'fusion/putting together' of 2 properties.
here in the cabeza de toro bay we had since ever from north to south, ;located side by side without any free inch of free space between them, the hotels/resorts which been named Natura Park, Allegro Resort and Sunscape Punta Cana.
then that sunscape punta cana been named Globalia, now it is named Oasis Grand Punta Cana and has since a couple months an additional complex(off the beach, behind the Punta Cana section) named Oasis Grand Bavaro. the resort which been named Allegro Resort is now named Dreams Palm Beach. those resorts did not trade any square inch of property/land, what exactly been the landmarks of the former allegro are today exactly the marks of the dreams palm beach.
the only one which expanded it's space is the Oasis Grand, they constructed for their Oasis Punta Cana a new section where before been the Marine station, that Marine station is since then located a bit aside, became a brand new building even with a basketball area in the backyard, ha ha, and the newly constructed Oasis Grand Bavaro which is located right behind the Oais Grand Punta Cana, off the beach, behind the oasis pc along the main road of Cabeza de Toro.
but it brought us far off topic.
the thread is about the lodging possibilities near the dreams (pc or pb?) for a get together with friends who stay there for their vaca.
happy Valentine's weekend everybody
Mike

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
Just curious, the Marine station you mention, Marine Police? and is it the Batey you live in? I can't think of any other private housing in the area other than the "picnic table house"down the beach toward Bavaro with a Dominican family.
Thanks for the update. The 20 or so websites I looked at all must have incorrect information, even the most recent.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Greg, read this link of Playa Resorts. They just bought the Sunscape the beach property from AM Resorts, it's not a newly named facelift. Globalia has been out of the picture for a while.
http://www.playahr.com/news/press18_eng.pdf Let me know if we're not reading this the same, or I'm missing something here.

Four of the five resorts mentioned are in Mexico - I don't follow what you are talking about, at all.

Gregg

P.S. - As I understand it even when AMResorts managed Sunscape Punta Cana (not to be confused with Sunscape the beach) it was owned by Globalia. It was Globalia which cancelled AMResorts management contract and then bought most of the Coral properties and joined them all together as Oasis, a brand that Globalia had elsewhere. Globalia is definitely not out of the picture, the operate/own all of the Oasis and Grand Oasis properties.