Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Any Regrets living in DR?

I have visited the DR twice. I came very close to buying my retirement home there. I have lived in Antigua and Dominica for about seven years.

My question is: Would anyone be helpful enough to tell me if they have "buyers remorse" in the sense of finding out there is too much crime, or lack of reliable power, or other issues they have found make living in the DR less than desirable? Thanks for being candid. I'm 66, so those issues can make a big difference to me.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

crime and power are not a problem for me. crime is everywhere and in DR at least you will not have maniacs shooting random people in the mall. that may be bacuse malls are scarce in here...
    power - even less of an issue if you have an inversor.

i don't regret moving to DR, i have a husband here and i have love.
    i am only sorry that i have no friends and no books. those two hit me the worst. it's hard to keep friendships going just by calls and emails, i am happy when we have visitors.
    as for books - one day i will bring my collection but over 1000 us dollars for transport is kinda high...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stanleyr View Post
    I have visited the DR twice. I came very close to buying my retirement home there. I have lived in Antigua and Dominica for about seven years.

My question is: Would anyone be helpful enough to tell me if they have "buyers remorse" in the sense of finding out there is too much crime, or lack of reliable power, or other issues they have found make living in the DR less than desirable? Thanks for being candid. I'm 66, so those issues can make a big difference to me.

My only real regret would be not having done it years ago!! There are solutions to the power issue and, if you find the right location, I don't believe the crime is any worse here than it is in the rest of the world. In light of current experience, the only thing I would seriously question is healthcare and medical expertise.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stanleyr View Post

I'm nearly 66 and have been living here 16+ years. No regrets whatsoever . But stanleyr, you came close to buying a retirement home here after 2 visits? With respect you need to live (& rent) here for about 6 months before you'll know if the country is right for you. We don't know you, so difficult for us to comment on whether the country is right for you. If you're of timorous ilk, expecting good infrastructure, provision of services by the State, things getting done on time etc etc then it won't be right for you. But, hey, you've had 7 years in other Caribbean islands so you have to be accustomed to some of the differences with the first world, yes? The main difference I think you would notice with Antigua & Dominica apart from size & language, is the much smaller historical British influence here. Much greater emphasis on things American than things British.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

my regret is not taking spanish lessons at school .........maybe it wouldnt have helped I did French and cant speak that either Marie-claude es dans la cuisine

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The biggest regret is not having the close friends we left behind. We're making new friends here, but we have found, it takes time to find out if your new friends are really your friends. The upside is, with all the different cultures, we look at thing in a different light.

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    crime and power are not a problem for me. crime is everywhere and in DR at least you will not have maniacs shooting random people in the mall. that may be bacuse malls are scarce in here...
    With half the population living within minutes of a shopping mall (SDQ area & Santiago area); let's just leave it at maniacs of that type don't exist in the DR and it should stay that way.

Hey, when was the last time the DR had a school shooting? I don't remember one of those either.

-NALs

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm 73 and am now completey retired here for 4 years. I visited every winter for three years spending 6 months here each time, The more I came the more I liked it. So the decision was made. I regret nothing . Of course there are things I miss like the Sunday Papers, Radio 4, easy supplies of Bovril and Beef stock cubes and proper Yorkshire Tea Bags but the occasional visitor helps. The most important thing to realise is that you are a stranger in a strange land, the land is the Dominican Republic and you must adapt to it not expect them to adapt to you. After that its pretty plain sailing. For goodness sake keep away from the ex-pat roundabout otherwise you will never be happy here. Good luck, enjoy yourself.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

My regret is that the clubs are not like the Hispanic clubs in the US. I also have not met any friends like I had in the US.
    Every friday/saturday me and my girls (Boricuas and Dominicanas) and about 8 Dominican guy friends went to the club. We always had such a great time and we danced salsa, bachata, and reggaeton...not like here where they play one damn type of music all night. We danced all night and then went to someone's house to eat tostones and salami.
    I miss my boyzzzzzzzz, they took care of me
    SHALENA

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I met some of them

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast