Beach Trip to the SW

elimoore

Feb 12, 2009
Hello DR1 enthusiasts.

I have really enjoyed exploring all of the coasts of the DR through this forum, trying to figure out exactly where to vacation. I looked through the North, East and South, and I have just fallen in love with the idea of visiting the SW of the Dominican.

I like that it's not built up with resorts, and of course the beautiful Caribbean beaches.
Well. I was wondering if anyone had hotel recommendations. We have 4 days/ 3 nights in early May, hope not to rent a car, we'll take the bus from the airport, so it'd be nice to be next to a good beach, and walkable to a few restaurants, etc. I know that there is a lot of adventuring to do in the area, and we might be up for an adventure one day, but really we want to lay on the beach, play cards, read, drink some rum, and eat good sea food.

I'm hoping to find a hotel for about $30 a night. "luxury" is not that important to us, just that it is clean, have a/c, and close to a nice beach.

Any ideas??

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Maybe

First some questions. Is this your first trip the Dominican Republic? (not " The Dominican") Do you speak any spanish? What bus from what airport? Will you have a cell phone that works in the Dominican Republic? The southwest is remote and lacks a lot of services that many tourists expect. You will not be able to make a trip there without at least some "adventure". That being said it can be done without a car, with a little effort, and a little understanding of the country. If you are looking for a stress free, easy vacation then other more touristy areas may suit you better, at least for your first trip here.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
If you want to come to the SW please do it with an open mind. You will not find nice beach restaurants in the way you might find it in the north or east, but you will find great home cooked meals (seafood included) at the beach shacks in the San Rafael and Los Patos beaches, these beaches are not calm beaches with white sand as you find in Punta Cana, these are rough beaches with pebbles that are sometimes closed for bathers due to rough surf. The pebbles are so white and unique that they are sold by the natives in piles for landscaping and decoration.

What the SW west offers to make up for these limitations is drop-dead, gorgeous, jaw-dropping sceneries and opportunity to have a unique vacation that you will never forget. I have brought many skeptic friends to Barahona who have not believed the beauty and allure of the place, many keep coming back whenever they can.

As for hotels, there's plenty of nice family hotels within that price range in Barahona, but a taxi ride from the airport would be expensive since Barahona is about 3 1/2 hours from Santo domingo and I don't know if the Barahona airoport is open for business yet.

My suggestion: come to the SW and come with an open mind because is definitely not Punta Cana or Puerto Plata, but we have so much more that they don't have, the clean sparkling rivers flowing into the ocean, the Bahoruco mountain range rising right out of the Caribbean sea, the Lago Enriquillo, the largest salt lake in the Caribbean, you can visit the border with Haiti and buy cheap liquor and perfumes, Bahia de Las Aguilas, the most beautiful beach of the DR, if not the Caribbean, still undeveloped and accessible only by boat or 4-wheel drive vehicle, Hoyo de Pelempito, Los Patos, San Rafael... actually, I think three days will not be enough, you will definitely come back for more.

Reactions: cobraboy

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If you want to come to the SW please do it with an open mind. You will not find nice beach restaurants in the way you might find it in the north or east, but you will find great home cooked meals (seafood included) at the beach shacks in the San Rafael and Los Patos beaches, these beaches are not calm beaches with white sand as you find in Punta Cana, these are rough beaches with pebbles that are sometimes closed for bathers due to rough surf. The pebbles are so white and unique that they are sold by the natives in piles for landscaping and decoration.

What the SW west offers to make up for these limitations is drop-dead, gorgeous, jaw-dropping sceneries and opportunity to have a unique vacation that you will never forget. I have brought many skeptic friends to Barahona who have not believed the beauty and allure of the place, many keep coming back whenever they can.

As for hotels, there's plenty of nice family hotels within that price range in Barahona, but a taxi ride from the airport would be expensive since Barahona is about 3 1/2 hours from Santo domingo and I don't know if the Barahona airoport is open for business yet.

My suggestion: come to the SW and come with an open mind because is definitely not Punta Cana or Puerto Plata, but we have so much more that they don't have, the clean sparkling rivers flowing into the ocean, the Bahoruco mountain range rising right out of the Caribbean sea, the Lago Enriquillo, the largest salt lake in the Caribbean, you can visit the border with Haiti and buy cheap liquor and perfumes, Bahia de Las Aguilas, the most beautiful beach of the DR, if not the Caribbean, still undeveloped and accessible only by boat or 4-wheel drive vehicle, Hoyo de Pelempito, Los Patos, San Rafael... actually, I think three days will not be enough, you will definitely come back for more.
Very well said.

The SW Coast is unique and beautiful, but not for everyone.

AB80

Jun 8, 2008
Well. I was wondering if anyone had hotel recommendations. We have 4 days/ 3 nights in early May, hope not to rent a car, we'll take the bus from the airport, so it'd be nice to be next to a good beach, and walkable to a few restaurants, etc.

If you are coming for only 4 days I would really recommend you to rent a car. With no car, from the Las Americas Airport you will have to get to the bus terminal in Santo Domingo (Caribe Tours for example) and get a bus to Barahona. Check the timetable on Caribe tours website. Then in Barahona you will have to get a taxi or a local bus to your hotel place. This will take you the entire day!

Then once on the spot you will only be able to stay in your Hotel and use the restaurant in the hotel. All the others places are at a few kilometers around.

My recomendation would be: Arrive in Santo Domingo Airport (Las Americas), rent a car, go to Barahona, find a hotel a few kilometers after Barahona and use the car to enjoy the cost between Barahona and Pedernales.

Then for the Hotels: ECO Tour Barahona, our hotels network for ecotourism in Dominican Republic
In your range of prices the Playa Azul would be a good bet. They have a pool and a small beach.

Enjoy your trip!

elimoore

Feb 12, 2009
Thanks guys, this is all very helpful.
- yes I do speak Spanish fairly well
- I think a good point has been made about a car, I just got scared by all of the "extra suggested insurance"
- I do realize that the SW of the Dominican Republic is not like a Corona commercial, but I think that it's beauty and calm compared to the rest of the country make a little bit of 'roughness' well worth while.

Thanks again for the advice and guidance. I am very much looking forward to our trip to visit.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
I do realize that the SW of the Dominican Republic is not like a Corona commercial, but I think that it's beauty and calm compared to the rest of the country make a little bit of 'roughness' well worth while.
Well said, that's the right attitude to visit the SW, you will not regret it