trip delayed

D

Dano

I'm stuck here in Ottawa because of snow. I'd rather be in DR anytime.My flight was schedule to leave at 6:00 am but was delayed so therefore I must wait till 1:25am, I hope I d'ont get short changed on my holidays. If I leave late do I return later also. If anybody out there with the same problem as I and has any other info, let me know I'm kind of upset because of the weather. unhappy gilmor.......

T

Tom

Dont expect to get out today if it connects ANYPLACE in Eastern US, or Chicago

C

Cindy

Sorry to hear that you were leaving today of all days... we live 15 minutes from the Ottawa airport and understand why nothing is moving right now. At least when you get on the plane it's a direct flight from Ottawa! According to the weather forecast from Environment Canada the worst of the storm should pass later today. You can keep an eye on their reports at the link below (click on the red "WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT" for further details).

Good Luck and have a wonderful trip.

P.S. Where are you going in the DR?

C

Cindy

Ottawa Weather Link Correction

Sorry the correct link is below:

T

Tom

Re: trip delayed - attn. - Tom/Yes Charlie

I'm glad you figured that out for me, no one else would have.I never would have known that a DIRECT flight from Ottawa didn't have to go to Newwark. (I thoght all aircraft went through NYC)

IF you watched the weather, or knew how to interpret an Aeronauthical Chart, you probably would have figure that might be a "general" announcemnet for anyone flying

Tom

T

Tom

Re: trip delayed/Thank you Charlie

Dano

Let me clarify this for "Charlies" entertainment.

I trust you assumed I was aware a DIRECT Flight from Ottawa does for whatever re4ason, not stop in the US -:), but unless they have some very long and expensive routing, they WILL pass through Chicago and or Detroint Center IArspace. This space was close to anything flying under 70k, and unless you were fling your own personal Military Aircraft, I doubt you got out early or most likely, are still having the misfortune of being told "delayed" when the aiirline should be telling you "Maybe by Noon when we get a day and a half of traffic out)

Thank you Charlie

Tom

V

Vic

Bad news Dano, if you loose time on your trip there is no provision for an extension. You may qualify for a limited refund based on the amount of lost time but from what I've read in my package it's worth almost nothing. You assume most of the risk when it comes to weather delays. Bummer. I leave on Wednesday and am watching the weather closely on both ends.

Hope you enjoy when you get there>

Good Luck

C

Charlie

Re: trip delayed - attn. - Tom

Tom - flights from Ottawa or Toronto to the DR are direct flights and don't stop in the States.

J

Julia

Hey...I'll take that delayed trip to DR!! I'd rather be in the loop for going to the DR than stuck where I am here on Cape Cod freezing my proverbial narga off!~!! LOLOLOLOLO Hope you get there soon ya lucky bugger!

Best, Julila

P

Patrick

Tom,

Actually any flight leaving from Ottawa or Toronto flies on a direct route to the Carolina's coast line and then flies over the Atlantic until they reach the DR

T

Tom

So they cross Chicago Center's airspace (It extends to over 120 miles at 45k

Tom

P

Patrick

Tom,

That could be....but as the crow flies, Buffalo is 457 miles (736 km) (397 nautical miles) from Chicago and the 15 times we have flown to the DR we always fly east of Buffalo...........

T

Tom

Patrick;

Take out a ruler and draw a "Straight line" from Toronto or Attawa to S'C and see if you can make it curve East of Buffalo

Your point of not actually going near Chicago is well understood, but Chicago center will "Work" that flight until it is handed off to Probably Philadelphia. Contrary to belief, Commercial Airlines and Mil Aircraft enroute do not fly "Direct" to anywhere, they must follow Victor Airways that jink them all over the sky. There was severe rime icing in all of Chicagos space, especially to the East.

Now that you say you go East of Buffalo, you are most likely flying:

Toronto Clearance Deliver Toronto Ground Toronto Tower Toronto Departure Chicago Center NY Center Atlanta Center Miami Center Santo Domingo Approach Santo Domingo Tower Santo Domingo Ground

I don't have a chart in my hand, but that would be the likely ATC that your flight has to deal with, receiving permission to enter any of that airspace as it is all class "Bravo" meaning it is positively controlled airspace.

Now someone can pick this apart that actually flies this route, but I belive it has provided MORE than any of you want to know about ATC

Tom

T

Tom

Re: trip delayed/My error

In that routing, you propably would have escaped Chicago Center, picking up New York Center directly, which was having even worse icing North

Tom