Drivers license info

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
just a info note for all who switch their drivers license or completely make a new one.
i did so in La Romana yesterday.
their service been surprisingly good, no overlong waiting times, friendly staff, lately i've been for different paperwork at different gubmin offices and i have to mention that i been at each positively surprised about provided services compared to such a short while back.
their office in la romana is open from 8AM til 4:30PM,
but be aware that you have to present your complete paperwork includung the receipts for the paid taxes before 12:30PM, otherwise you have to come back an other day.
i've been late myself b/c did not know about the other tax i had to pay at the Banco Reservas, but a bit of wining from the Gringito who came all that long way from punta cana/bavaro to La Romana to get that plastic and they invited me to join the game with a smile, and surprise, the guy who signs the "Chara", the certificate which states that your papers are complete, did not even ask for some "extra" to do so.
the practice test is done at the "Toro's' baseball stadium parking area and is completely easy stuff, parking a car between some metal poles(lots of space to do so) and then a 3 minutes 'test ride' with that professor at your side on the public street in front of the stadium. while you get not advised by anybody prior to the lil exercise make sure you fasten your seatbelt before the profesor climbs on the seat aside you and do not answer your cellphone while testriding.
i saw one guy who has to come back for the same procedure again in 16 days because he did not use the seatbelt and an other one took his ringing cellphone, ha ha.
for the test you can rent one of the numerous present 'chicharras', ole daihatsu pick ups, manual shifters, mine did not even have a real break, heck, but to rent them costs only 300 pesos for the whole procedure, so no prob. mine did not have direction lights neither, so when turning make sure to use the ole typical dominican handsign, ha ha, we really had fun over there.
you can also bring your own car and do the testride with that, make sure you have your renewed car insurance card and the copy of the cars matricula with you, they ask for it.
with the paperwork you also need a police record certificate(certificado de buena conducta), be aware that those papers are always valid only for 90 days from the day you get them.
happy Valentine's weekend
Mike

Last edited:

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I just did my licence in Puerto Plata...everything went without a hitch and just a couple of thousand pesos in tips...lol.
On the first visit I had to do the 20 question theory test which was a breeze as you can pay a guy 500 pesos to stand behind you and he just tells you what to answer. I speak fluent Spanish so I actually did not need him although I would have got a couple of questions wrong, but would have had at least 85% right by myself, but of course I did not know what the questions were going in, so for 500 pesos I got 100%!! If you do not listen to the questions clearly then it is easy to make mistakes...basically the video showed a driver doing certain things and the questions were "would the driver receive a fine for this?", "should the police officer stop the driver" etc. So if you are not listening carefully then it is easy to answer incorrectly. Then you take the blood test, the medic decides that you have blood in you as opposed to rum, and one would hope, give you your correct blood type. I knew mine but I was curious to see if he got it right. There were two of us having our blood tested at the same time, on the same sample slide...that is a little scary. He then adds three different liquids to the samples and swirls it around with a modern medical tool called a toothpick and checks for the colors of each sample...amazingly he got my blood type correct. The other person was not sure of his own blood type and it turned out to be the same as mine...so either the medic is very good or he just decides that everyone has A+ bloodtype!!
So I get issued my provisional licence and then returned after 45 days to get my full licence. This time round I paid 1500 pesos in tips which included the certificado de buena conducta, (which was processed during the 45 days wait for the full licence) and also just to speed up the licence issuing guy so that I did not have to wait all morning in line....it took 30 minutes in total.
And in case your wondering, I did not even have to go anywhere near a vehicle for a "driving test"! Which is fine for me as I have been driving for 20 years, but it really is no suprise why so many people on the road here can't drive for sxxt!
All in all a plesent experience.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
ha ha
you did not miss much for getting around the driving test.
i drive myself with license 27 years now, been funny to watch some of the other guys trying to park that lil car in the really huuge space between the poles.
important is that the plastic is registered in the system, the rest is out of interest.
so, somebody else with experineces on other spots around the isle?

Mike

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Tee, what documents did you have to provide officially, (cedula, passport, oversees license etc..)?
Is the blood test done after you have completed the test, and do you need to make an appointment in POP, or just tip someone also for that?
Thanks!

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
My son recently obtained his Learner's permit (Carnet de aprendizaje), the process was simple, fast, efficient and cost effective. The total cost for the service at 'Secretar?a de Estado de Obras P?blicas' in SD was RD$1380 payable at Banco de Reservas located in the same building. The process was very simple. Get on line at Banco de Reservas as soon as you get there and pay the service fee. Next you'll take an eye exam and have your blood type determined by a simple blood test. You then take the written (computerized) test (Examen Te?rico). And if you pass you'll be able to have your picture taken and an Leaner's Permit ID card (Carnet de aprendizaje) issued to you. All you require to obtain a DR Learner's permit is a valid cedula, pay the fee and pass both the written and eye tests.

Anytime after 45 days and before your learner's permit expires, you can schedule an appointment to take the actual driving test. You'll need:

• Cedula
  • Learner's permit
  • Payment for RD$990
  • Good conduct certificate (Certificado de Buena Conducta)
  • Receipt of driving seminar (Comprobante de asistencia a la charla de Educaci?n Vial)

You'll need to have a vehicle to take the driving test in. Make sure that all the paper work for the car is in order and in the car the day of the driving test. If you pass the test (good luck!) you'll get your DR Driver's license. If you fail the driving test you'll need to reschedule.

For the most current fees and up to date information on DR Driver's license have a look at:

Secretaria de Estado de Obras P?blicas y Comunicaciones

NotLurking

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
If by any chance someone wishing to acquire a DR driver's license has a verifiable license from another country, that license can be exchanged for a DR license easily. I exchanged my US NYS Driver's license for a DR license and the process was painless and quick.

The Process
Go to the embassy of the license issuing country and get your license certified. Take the certification to Canciller?a and have the certification legalized (about RD$700). Go to 'Secretar?a de Estado de Obras P?blicas' pay RD$950 at Banco de Reservas, take an eye exam, have your blood type determined by a simple blood test, and have your picture taken for your DR driver's license. Your done, drive safely!

If the license issuing country does not have an embassy in DR the process is a bit more difficult and much more expensive you should just opt to start the process from scratch. But the license exchange can still be done. Here is how: In the issuing country, get a certification that you are a license driver from the appropriate agency. Have it certified in a Dominican consulate in the issuing country. If the license certification is in a language other than Spanish have it translated by a court recognized translator. Take it to Cansilleria and have the consulate signature legalized. Then go to the Procuradur?a general to have the official translator's signature legalize. Go to 'Secretar?a de Estado de Obras P?blicas' and proceed and noted above.

NotLurking

Edit: you'll aslo need a Good conduct certificate.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the good and complete info, great.
from now on there should not be too much threads started asking about the license, he he.
wanted to add:
the learning permit(aprendizaje) has to be used min 45 days and is valid for 1 year from the day it been issued. it allows only to drive with a driver at your side who holds a definitive and renewed drivers license(just wanted to mention that b/c in case of an accident aso the insurance would not cover damage by a lerner who drove alone).
the definitive drivers license is valid for 4 years and independent of the day you received it that plastic expires 4 years later on your birthday, like the cedulas always expire on your birthday. so in my case(birthday in september) i got my plastic valid for 4years plus 7 months.
happy Valentine
Mike

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
I just get my learner driver license

I have done in santo domingo. You just pay the fee in the bank inside the building. You make a copy your cedular, fillingout the application form (very simple), get your application stemp, get vision test, blood test and receive the driver manual. You suppose to study for the manual for 15 days and take the theorical test. You really do not need to study that book instead, you go outside and buy a small booklet for preparing the examination ( around 100 peso), and study that book. a lot people outside the door offer you test assistence from 500 peso to 1500 peso. They basicly offer you telephone supoort during test but no one speak any English and it is worthless. I decide to try myself first. if one fail test, you can repeat in !5 days. Before examination, identification is verified by fingerprint. You watch video on the computer and then one question was asked by audio, then you answer si or no. The question normally is the driver in video is correct or not or the driver in the video should get infraction or not. I feel it is pretty easy. I can speak basic spanish only and get 80 point( 75 poimt pass ). Then you take photo and get your card. Next time, I will take the road test.

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
The theoretical test is too easy and simple (if you know Spanish). 20 audio/video based ?s on a crt touch screen in individual, enclosed, numbered booths (cell phones must be off).

You get to watch 3d simulation of vehicles in maneuvers and answer yes, no or skip on the touch screen to the audio question of whether the action was correct or not. I believe you get to repeat the skipped ?s twice at the end of the test. IMO, the test needs to include at minimum alcohol consumption/effect and general CIVILITY.

I walked in unprepared one day last month around 11:30 a.m. and walked out around 1:45 p.m. with a carnet de aprendizaje.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i did that test in may 2008, been even just 10 questions to answer on the screen, been myself not prepared, i did not even know that i have to do that test within the procedures of that day, been very easy.
want to admit that my spanish is fluent, so listen to the Q's carefully to not answer exactly the opposite way you wanted to.
Mike

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Test

Tee, what documents did you have to provide officially, (cedula, passport, oversees license etc..)?
Is the blood test done after you have completed the test, and do you need to make an appointment in POP, or just tip someone also for that?
Thanks!

Just take a copy of your cedula and make sure you have gone to Banco Reservas to pay the taxes prior to going to take the test, bring the receipts with you. The blood test is one of the first things you will have done...very simple, just a little prick on the finger tip. No appointment necessary but best to go in the morning. No doubt somebody will approach you straight away asking if you want any "help".

Best of luck!

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Mike,

I have to say that gov services has seen a vast improvement since 1999 when I first started fooling around in the DR.

Now if I could just rent a Porsche for my driving test that would speak volumes, lol.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
ha ha ha
they really improved at many spots in case of gubmin services, including with the procedures for the drivers licenses.
the practice test can be done in your own car(make sure you have matricula, insurance, placa and revista up to date in the car) and you also can rent for 300 pesos(that been the rate in la romana) one of the always present Daihatsu chicharas.
Mike

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
My jeepeta is up to date on everything and than some, but it is an automatic. That would make my license "restricted" if I use it for the driving test. I should procure a manual vehicle to take the test and get an "unrestricted" license.

I have to check around SD with the driving schools to see what they have to rent with a stick shift.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
at the spot where i did the test, in La Romana, at the parking place of the Baseball Stadium, they had 4 or 5 of those chicharras present to rent, all stick shifting. while waiting there we had several chats about this and that, there's no real "problem" to do the test in a automatic without the 'restricted' remark in the papers. don't know about st dgo of course.
Mike