Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: El Metro

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a degree of bias in the article. Just like any other city with a train system, I am sure there are certain hours of the day when some stations are not going to be busy. There were deceptions about the studies and it was opened a year later, but the damn thing is finished and so far working. That being said I still wished the money was spent on education and health care.

Post Thanks / Like

De Leon is right. However, the change from the old way to the new way will take some time. There is no "subway culture" here..it will take years to develop.
    Yes, this is a major boondoggle, very pretty, very modern and extremely costly. So costly that we will never, ever see just how much it will cost by December 2009...
    Has anyone ever put numbers to paper and worked out how many per hour in order to get 200,000 per day (12 hour day more or less)???? i don't think it works out...
    HB

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

how many paying customers are actually riding the metro?
    is that number published somewhere?
    Mike

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

"the change from the old way to the new way will take some time." It will take time because unless you want to go from Villa Mella to somewhere south it isn't a great deal of use.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFisher View Post
    how many paying customers are actually riding the metro?
    is that number published somewhere?
    Mike
    Buddy take a guess who will come back with an epic answer.

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Hm, something doesn't add up.

Osiris de León says that on the 9th of Feb the Metro was deserted, and yet on Diario Libre on that same day this was published:

Usuarios del metro dejan de pasar penurias en "voladoras"

And this was published on the 4th of Feb:

Apertura del Metro reduce ingresos choferes del concho

Who to believe?

Osiris once said the tunnels would flood every time it rains due to shoddy construction. A religious person would swear it was an act of God, because not long after he made that comment a couple of tropical storms dumped so much water on Santo Domingo that the streets became lakes and rivers but the Metro was dry as a bone. He said the tunnels would collapse but he forgot that the Metro tunnels are not the first tunnels ever built in the DR. T the Luperon highway between Santiago and Puerto Plata has a tunnel that is probably the oldest one on the island and its still holding, despite hurricanes, earthquakes, heat waves, and who knows what else! If that old thing still stands, so too will tunnels built with modern engineering techniques and design. He said the elevated part was badly done (not!), and a host of other things that was more hot air than anything else.

On a side note, look how much money the government wasted last year on the electricity deficit:

...en el año 2008 el Gobierno tuvo que destinar más de US$740 millones sólo para cubrir el déficit de las empresas distribuidoras...
    Wow. How much did the Metro cost?

Aha, exactly!

At least the Metro is a solution to a problem, the subsidies to the electricity monopoly is NOT! Its best if the people who oppose the Metro due to its cost would rather take all that energy and oppose the energy subsidies. They have costs Dominicans a fortune that could had been invested in other more pressing problems and demand for everyone to pay their electric bills!

Read the full story here: SUPERINTENDENTE ELECTRICIDAD ASEGURA INICIO APLICACIÓN DE LEY 186-07 QUE PENALIZA FRAUDE ELECTRICO.

-NALs
    Last edited by NALs; 02-13-2009 at 09:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ever hear of "plumíferos?"

HB

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A.Hidalgo View Post
    Buddy take a guess who will come back with an epic answer.
    Bingo? You thought it was going to be the other epic strategist, didn't you?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lambada View Post
    Bingo? You thought it was going to be the other epic strategist, didn't you?
    i guess you are right by assuming the he assumed I would guess ...
    ha ha
    Louis,
    what the heck is a 'plumifero'???

and btw,
    my Q about the numbers of paying customers riding the Metro been anyways not meant in anyway offensive against the Metro NAL's, i just til today did not find any article about it and i would like to know how the reality ranges about the 'expected' 200.000 paid rides per day.
    and i do not repeat my maths from the other posts which show very clear that the 200.000 PAYING daily customers would not pay even half of what's needed to run that lil train.
    i just would be interested in a bit of knowledge about the "trend".
    a top of the line fully computerized running toy should spit out such a number/stat any moment the admin of that toy wanna know about it.
    don't they wanna know or don't they wanna let US know???
    Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast