flag help, please!!!!

J

Jessie

i really need to know what all the symbols stand for in the dominican republic flag! i know about the colors, and i know what the symbols are, but i need to know what they stand for by friday! i mean like blue stands for liberty and stuff like that. like peace. the symbols are: bible, cross of gold, 4 DR flags, 2 spears, and 2 branches.

if you have any idea what any of these things stand for or where to find this out, please tell me!!!! i really need to know this!

thanks a lot!!

-jessie

B

bob saunders

the blue stands for peace, the red means blood of our heros, the white stands for purity of mind. This is what my esposa tells me.

K

Keith R

Hmmmm...Wonder if those three colors are supposed to stand for the same things in the French, British, Dutch, US, Norwegian, Icelandian, Russian, Chilean, Paraguayan, Panamanian, Puerto Rican, Costa Rican, Cuban, Antiguan, Belizen, Czech, Croatian, Slovenian, Yugoslav, Slovak & Luxembourg flags???

I think I remember hearing from my kids when they were studying Dominican history in Santo Domingo that the white portion of the flag is in the form of the cross to stand for the "holy cause" of liberation from Haitian rule ("restoration of independence" as it is known) in the 19th century.

K

Keith R

Re: flag help, please!!!! *PIC*

Well, the Flags of the World webpage on the DR flag (not necessarily the final authority by any means) says the following:

>>The government of the Dominican Republic adds the national coat of arms in the center of the cross. This emblem is similar to
the flag design and shows a bible, a cross of gold, 4 Dominican flags and two spears on a pattern from the flag. there are
bracches of olive and palm around the shield and above on a ribbon is the motto "Dios, Patria, Libertad" meaning "God,
Fatherland, Liberty." The blue is said to stand for Liberty, red for the fire and blood of the independence struggle and the white
cross is a symbol of sacrifice. Below the shield is another ribbon bearing the name of the country "Rep?blica Dominicana".<<

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Keith

H

Hillbilly

It happened like this---

In February of 1844, the Dominican patriots that belonged to the "Trinitarios" (a secret society of young men and a few women that was dedicated to the cause of independence-See Moya Pons, "A Manual of Dominican History") were looking for some symbol to be held high when the rebellion came about.
the only flag available was the Haitian flag, Blue on top and red on the bottom (or visa versa) .

The Haitians, in turn, had taken the French tricolor: Red, White and Blue, removed the White (obviously for racial significance)and stayed with the Blue and Red.

If memory serves, it was Juana Saltitopa that sewed a white cross over the Haitian flag for the revolucionaries to use.

Later on, the colors were reversed on one side of the flag to further distinguish it from Haiti. Lt. General Ramiro Matos has written the only book I know of, about the evolution of the flag from those modest beginnings.

So there you have it: The French flag became the Haitian flag, and the Haitian flag became the Dominican flag.

Hope you find this of help.

HB