travel kit???

rugby.1

Feb 11, 2009
hopefully coming down in the next month for the first time. been reading a lot of posts, learning. very nice. i don't see a category for health. I know not to drink the water, but is there anything i can do to prep my body so i avoid those unpleasentries??? what would be a good kit to bring along??? also, money. should i just bring it, wire it down??? want to be ready for whatever i run into. i'm what i guess you'd call an eco tourist. do all the nature stuff i can fit in. i'm old but healthy-rugby.1

maurmcgee

Dec 9, 2005
I always pack the following: Immodium or some type of anti-diahhreah meds, polysporin or other antibiotic ointment, bug spray, after-bite, benadryl lotion and tablets (allergy), tylenol or ibuprofen, bandaids, some type of cold meds, sunscreen (lots...it is very expensive in the touristy areas). That is my standard little pack. As for money, I bring US $ and then use ATM if I need more. However last time Banco Popular would not take my card, but another one did.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I also pack a small bottle of hydrogen peroxide and Qtips for cleaning up any infections, and Alka Seltzer, multi vitamins, and B multiples. Also something for the sunburn AFTER should you forget just one spot or two. Desitin - which is the baby diaper ointment- is basically zinc oxide and will do to protect your nose, etc. and is also a great protector for bites and any cuts going into salt water. Small swim googles to protect your eyes if you are really a swimmer. Sun visors with just a headband - the baseball caps make the head all sweaty but the visors are great.

And here I never travel without a small pack of Kleenex and waterless soap - indespensible for women on the road in the developing world. But if you are just in the resort - no worries.

For the DR- i would recommend EAR PLUGS- it takes years to get used to the volume here.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Wet naps to wash hands, purse pack tissue for facilities that don't supply their own, rain poncho and/or umbrella, high number sunblock, aspirin, white clothing and white hat to deflect the sun.

rugby.1

Feb 11, 2009
rugby.1

thanks for the replys- saw a few things i wouldn't have thought to bring-rugby.1

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You might want to bring your canteen and some water purification tablets...JIC.

I second everything put up so far....always good to have something for the tummy-Pepto or something similar.

Can't over emphasize bug spray and sun screen...

Lots of socks in plastic baggies for walking. Good walking boots or hikers.

A light jacket if you go up to any altitude and for the nights in the more desert like places. And a good sweater if you are thinking of going to Constanza.

I think you'll be just fine...

HB