Skype - help please!

MDWsur

Dec 26, 2008
Hello...

I would like to know if I have a Dominican (809) Skype number, can I buy the regular Skype subscription and have local calls to the Dominican number forwarded to my US cell phone at no extra charge?

The website is a little vague on this. I would like to have my family in the DR be able to call a local DR number and reach me here in the US

Thanks

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Hello...

I would like to know if I have a Dominican (809) Skype number, can I buy the regular Skype subscription and have local calls to the Dominican number forwarded to my US cell phone at no extra charge?

The website is a little vague on this. I would like to have my family in the DR be able to call a local DR number and reach me here in the US

Thanks

You would need to buy a Dominican 809 Skype-In number. There is a yearly cost to that which is lower when you first buy their monthly premium or pro (what ever they call it) service... then, after buying the number with the discounted rate, you can cancel the premium or pro service.
Any calls to that personal 809 Skype-In number will automatically be routed to your skype account (only) at no extra cost. You can then set your skype account to forward calls received your US cell phone, should you not be on-line or not answer on your computer for a set delay time... the cost then is the skype-to-US (about 2cents/min).

Skype-In numbers are valid for 1 year and need to be renewed yearly not to loose the number.

I have a US Skype-In number and it works beautifully.
I HAD a DR Skype-In number and it acted rather capricious... I did not renew.

... J-D.

MDWsur

Dec 26, 2008
Thanks! Very Helpful.

Maybe I'll give the DR Skype-In # a try and see if they've gotten any better.

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
I'm having some issues calling 829 numbers on Skype as they're not recognized in the DR drop down menu. I fooled the system by selecting the US and then dialing 829-xxx-xxxx but they seem to have caught on and instead of adding 829 to the DR menu, they just deactivated or something. Any help?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I'm having some issues calling 829 numbers on Skype as they're not recognized in the DR drop down menu. I fooled the system by selecting the US and then dialing 829-xxx-xxxx but they seem to have caught on and instead of adding 829 to the DR menu, they just deactivated or something. Any help?

I am currently facing the same problem calling 829's from Florida on skype... plain out tells me that ain't a correct number. A year or two ago, the mistook'em for US area codes... and calling 829 DR cells was like calling within the States...

I think we'll just have to give it some time...

... J-D.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Not sure if it would help you folks but download and install Skype 4.0. I can tell you it has improved voice and webcam connections from the DR to the states for me. Can't address the Skype-in number or call forwarding issue. But if you are not on 4.0 upgrade and give it a try. A different look and feel.

Feb 7, 2007
Had 4.0 went back to 3.x

The new version is rather confusing and when you are on skype call, and the person sends you a text chat message, you won't know about it unless you look into the chat window. the 3.x version of skype opened up a new window and the status bar was falshing

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I also had issues with Skype trying to call Claro cellphones. It would tell me that the number doesn't exist.

I contacted Skype customer service who looked into it and told me that certain Claro numbers reject calls when the number is withheld. I had to enable caller ID with my Skype account.

I did and it worked.