Don;t park in front of Jolly Rogers

believer

Oct 12, 2005
The cops towed my friends car from the front of jolly rogers yesterday...why.....welll don't cha know the curb is painted yellow!....doesn't matter that the other one over there is green, some blue marks on another and one that says EDUARDO on it.......suddenly they are doing things like normal people and we are all supposed to respond in the ordinary way....its kinda disorienting.

There is no no parking sign and there were plenty other cars there when we arrived...and I wonder why that block and not the next or next?

As it turned out we had to pay $1000 RD for the parking ticket (unlike the little dominican muchacha said on the sidewalk $300 RD) We had to take a bike way up the hill high speed after the car and then they fined her another $1000 RD because she had been in the country longer than 90 days and that means her UK liscence is no longer valid here........can't get a liscence if you do not have residency.....can't apply for residency right now because the office is overloaded and is not taking any applications...only option....return to the UK and come back so the exact same liscence will be valid for another 90 days!

Then they would not let her take her car to go to the bank to pay the fines., she had to go to the bank pay the fines come back show the receipt to be allowed to take the car but there was no way to get there cause the AMET office is too far to walk and no conchos around.....but what luck......a haitian lady with a motor bike hangs out there and if you give her the money and a tip she will go pay it for you...

My friend was so mad I think If I had not been there she would have attempted to just get in the car and leave and ended up in jail. We were at La Vacha having pizza.........the most expensive pizza I had ever had......$2250 RD!

So watch out for those yellow curbs kids.......its real time America comin on!

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
AMET enforces laws when they want to and they are usually hard asses when it comes to giving breaks. For example, there's a helmut law, many people ignore it, but every once in a while AMET will set up a check point and litterally tow up to 30 bikes on their flatbed. I never seen AMET after 5pm, so it'll be safe to park there after that hour.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
AMET enforces laws when they want to and they are usually hard asses when it comes to giving breaks. For example, there's a helmut law, many people ignore it, but every once in a while AMET will set up a check point and litterally tow up to 30 bikes on their flatbed. I never seen AMET after 5pm, so it'll be safe to park there after that hour.

amet buys a tuckload of helmets,then goes on a helmet law binge.Tells bike rider without helmet where to go aroung corner for helmet....then gets bike back..
bob

aross

Nov 15, 2007
About 6 weeks ago my wife parked our car in the same place and took our daughter in law and 2 grandchildren (3 and 1 1/2)to the beach. They came back and the car was gone. They went to the police station and to make a long story short, they tried to charge her a fine but she kept arguing that she was just a tourist and if they did this to all the tourists that parked there all the time they would soon not have any tourists and give the Sosua Police a bad name (of course all this was done in Spanglish with arms and hands flinging all over the place). So while our daughter in law and grandchildren hung around the police station (an interesting experience in itself), a nice policeman drove my wife up the hill to get our car, no fine, no delivery charge to the car lot and storage charge.

The fun part is our 3 year old Granddaughter thought all this was fun and proceeded to tell everyone she saw that "Gramma's car was towed" and the first words out of her mouth now when we skype are "Gramma, has your car been towed again".

If you live in Sosua you know it is illegal to park on the right side of the street in front of jolly Rodgers so you take a chance parking there. It is not only illegal but also not in your best interests when some drunk hits your car on that narrow street. Don't blame the AMET because you parked illegally.

Wear your helmet and you wont have a problem.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
AMET in action! I met this guy and they were towing his dirt bike, while his bike was on the truck, he retrieved a helmut and even tried to slip the AMET guy a little something for his troubles but no go. He even went to Reservas and paid the fine and they still wouldn't take his bike off the truck.

<embed width="440" height="420" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://v5.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=5l8o6c&s=5"><br><font size="1"><a href="http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=5l8o6c&s=5">Original Video</a> - More videos at <a href="http://tinypic.com">TinyPic</a></font>

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
They caught me without a HELMET and I just gave the cop $1000 rd and was on my way.

To the original poster....Did you actually pay $RD2250 for a pizza as that is $64.00 U.S

Mar 2, 2008
Mike, he was referring to the price of the pizza, plus all the fees and fines and aggravation from the parking episode.

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
police wave at us

and i dont think they wood touch evan one of our machines. too much trouble for them, sorry to hear about the expensive pie. but if you were in n.y. fancy pizza lunch 25$+tip towing 125 and up. fine 85-125. a cheap lunch priceless..