TAX ON DRINKING WATER!

E

ECH, M.D.

CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG...
But did I just read in the daily paper that there will be a TAX imposed on drinking water. A 5 gallon bottle of drinking water will cost 22.40 Pesos; up from 20 pesos.
Will air be next?

S

sean

Very Common

I think that, in most countries, there is a sales tax charged on bottled water. I can't remember a country in which I haven't paid it. I'm living in the U.S. and we pay it here, and I lived for 6 years in Mexico where tax is charged. Drinking water is not free anywhere (to my knowledge), be it from the tap or store bought. Has water heretofore been tax-free in the DR?

B

BIG DADDY

so what's wrong with the 12% salestax put on the water?looks like that's the price to pay for taxevasion and govermental mismanagement.
taxing air?to complicated.how about impuesto sobre la cabeza?

E

ECH, M.D.

Re: Very Common

Yes, prior to the new law, local potable drinking water was tax free. A 5 gallon container cost 20 pesos...not free but not exhorbitant either. In a country where the only POTABLE water is sold in containers, I do not think it should be taxed. Food (in the super market) and medicine are not taxed because they are considered necessary for life....well, water is the most important essential to life. But then, maybe that is why they tax it. I am not talking about taxing fancy "Perrier" or other "designer" bottled water. I am talking about locally produced potable water. BTW, you don't HAVE to buy bottled water in the USA, tap water is potable. In a country like the DR, you are obliged to buy it. (Or suffer the consequences of ill health)

C

charlyloco

just some years ago I pay 6.50$RD for the 5Gallon water and now 18$RD, so how can any tax scare me?
cu/charly

E

ECH, M.D.

yes, and I remember when I could send a first class letter for just 3 cents and now the same letter will soon cost 35 cents for the same service.

S

sean

Taxation

I hear what you're saying, and sympathize, but locally produced potable bottled (be it large or small) water (not fancy bottled and imported) is taxed in almost every country that I am aware of, be it a poor nation or a wealthy one. I agree with your comment about the necessity/preference to have essentials for life available for purchase on a tax-free basis. Consider yourself lucky that you've been exempt for this long. Of course, the important thing to consider here is whether the people paying the taxes have faith in their government that the taxes are just and put to use to better the lives of the population/country as a whole. I suspect that citizens of the Dominican Republic don't yet have a high level of confidence in the honesty and integrity of the government (no matter which President is in power). I have no personal experience in-country, but am preparing for my first visit to take place sometime in the early part of the new year, so excuse my lack of 'up close and personal' experience. Thanks for your response to my comments.

C

charlyloco

Yes ECH,E.D. thats almost 1100% so how can just 8 or 12% scare us*lol*:)
cu/charly