Just makes you think

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
THis is the latest article in the NY Times on coal. It relates to Duke Energy, but it sheds light on what the DR is facing if the government is ever allowed to build those two coal-fired power plants, one in the south and one in the north.http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/business/15coal.html?th&emc=th

Especially, if these power plants are build by Chinese companies where environmental considerations are not all that high on the list of "things to do."

What really worries me is that when the shyte hits the fan in the First World, it is usually the Second and Third Worlds that pay a price down the line. In other words, since it seems that coal is really falling out of favor in the Great North, it will be shifted to our nations where the excuse of getting electricity to the masses (that do not pay for it) at any price...And certainly here in the Dominican Republic, this is one of the main issues in our lives, in the economic life of the country and the overall image projected by the country to visitors.

So, folks, let's keep a watch on this see where the government spin doctors take us this trip....

HB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The latest Chinese plants have: The turbines were manufactured by GE in New York state. They each have a high-pressure, a medium-pressure and two low-pressure sections. The furnaces are 24m wide, 16m deep and 63.5m high. The boilers are drum type, and have firing systems for semi-anthracite coal. There are 24 low NOx burners set at six levels. The system is designed to be efficient and produce low emissions. Whilst this may partly have been driven by local Chinese concerns, an important factor came from the export credit agencies. Western governments have been increasingly concerned by environmental standards. I'm not a proponent of using coal but is it really going to be much dirtier than the current oil/gas fired burners being used currently in the DR. Hydro involves different environmental costs and Solar is very expensive. Perhaps a combination of all will be the right mix.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Interesting Bobby, and what are we going to do with all the fly ash???? Send it to Haiti for land fill and road repairs??? TVA hasn't done much in the way of taking care of its own fly ash....
This scares me because the government has already committed itself to the scheme...and there are other, more economical and more environmental friendly solutions.

HB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Interesting Bobby, and what are we going to do with all the fly ash???? Send it to Haiti for land fill and road repairs??? TVA hasn't done much in the way of taking care of its own fly ash....
This scares me because the government has already committed itself to the scheme...and there are other, more economical and more environmental friendly solutions.

HB

Greentech Media: Green Light Blog Archive Here Comes the Green Brick

We all know coal is dirty, but it's cheap. So what are the more economical solutions?

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Hi Bob and Hillbilly,
There are actually great oppourtunites for microhydro here that can produce 5 -50 kWatts from a relatively small water flow.
Nobody seems to have considered this in the DR - its such a shame too.

HTH
Olly

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
FYI Olly: Prof Helmut Schorgomeyer, from the PUCMM (Santiago) was doing a lot of work in this area and even built a few of them...Unfortunately, his health failed him...EPD. There are really hundreds of sites located and known to the engineering community...

HB

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Interesting but none have been published. I am an Electrical Engineer - retired now- but have specified some low flow hydro schemes here near Sosua.
None have happened though.
Best Wishes

Olly

Ps PM me if you want more info.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Interesting but none have been published. I am an Electrical Engineer - retired now- but have specified some low flow hydro schemes here near Sosua.
None have happened though.
Best Wishes

Olly

Ps PM me if you want more info.

Arre you talking about run of the river type hydro?