Roads to Santiago

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2007
I need to go to Santiago tomorrow. Living between Sosua and Cabarete, any of the three roads would suffice. Has anyone here traveled these roads since the recent rains. I would like to know which is most passable and user friendly.

Thanks-
Lindsey

Caz

May 15, 2004
Hi Lindsey

Last Sunday we took the Sabaneta - Moca road going via Licey not Tamboril and it was fine, although the bridge outside Sabaneta was looking dicey. Coming back via Navarette and Puerto Plata was not too bad either. Bad spots in the usual places! Hope this helps.

Aug 21, 2007
Hi Lindsey

Last Sunday we took the Sabaneta - Moca road going via Licey not Tamboril and it was fine, although the bridge outside Sabaneta was looking dicey. Coming back via Navarette and Puerto Plata was not too bad either. Bad spots in the usual places! Hope this helps.

Thanks, Caz. The word on the street was that last week the bridge outside of Sabaneta (near Los Brazos) was washed out. Don't know if that meant it had water over the top, or if the dicey part became dicier. If it is no worse than before, then I am game for that route.

BUT- would also appreciate a report on the other options.

Lindsey

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
I have it from a good source just today that the mountain road (touristica sp?) between POP and Santiago is OK. Just keep your speed safe as there are several places closer to POP that have been marked where the mud slides occurred!

Aug 21, 2007
Road Report

So, I went to Santiago today the Sabaneta - Licey way.

The bridge outside of Sabanete and before Los Brazos, where it attaches to land, apparently was what washed out. Previously, only one side was patched. Today, it was patched all the way across.

The road beyond that was washed out in a few places. These spots were "clearly" marked with a piece of cloth tied to a stick which was sitting in a paint can of rocks. Considerate of the locals to give us warning.

The riskiest part is after La Cumbre. The road is considerably more buckled. GO SLOWLY or you will either wipe out the bottom of your car or destroy your shocks.

All in all, the trip felt safe, and as usual, I enjoyed seeing and experiencing a bit of the countryside.

Lindsey

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Great report and I was also on that road yesterday... As Lindsey stated all is well except for that part north of La Cumbre...that probably won't be fully repaired anytime soon. Overall the road is quite a bit worse than it was only a year ago, but all in all not that bad.

This report is exactly the type of post I think should be included in a "Travel Conditions" forums...

Status
Not open for further replies.