Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default why do you live here?

Hello.
    I have been reading forum posts here for a couple of days.
    I live in the U.S., and am looking for a cultural shake up of my life. I have a couple of degrees, and have been and educator for more than a decade. I want a change of pace from the rat race. I am at the point in life where I question seriously the concept of being caught up in a race to gain the most things before one dies.

In addition, I think it would be a very sad thing to have lived and died knowing only the U.S. culture (or lack thereof, in may respects). I have an eye on Canada, as it seems the culture is more quality of life oriented as opposed to quantity of life oriented. I am also impressed with the fact that, while in Canada, I am not as nearly as hamstrung by racial stereotypes and racist practices as I am in the U.S.
    I am not so naive as to assert there is no racism in Canada; I just think it is far more ingrained an pronounced in U.S. society.

My needs are simple: food, clothing, shelter, and a sense of community. The only luxury I'd like to continue to entertain is art related. I'd like to be able to continue to make art: painting, drawing, and black and white photography.

Thank you for patiently indulging my long - windedness thusfar. I am curious, especially with respect to those from the States, why you chose the D.R. as a home.
    Last edited by latka; 02-15-2009 at 06:07 PM.

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

why do I live here???

1. Because I laugh every day
    2. Because I get up in the morning looking forward to the day
    3. Because you forget thinking about yourself and marvel at the unselfishness of Dominicans
    4. Because people really care about each other and look out for each other
    5. Because you can make a difference
    6. Because it is a beautiful country
    7. Because all you need in life is food, friends, shelter and you learn to understand that the consumerism of the countries like mine (UK) and yours does not make you happy
    8. Because money is not the be all and end all
    9. Because there is nowhere else I would rather be

Matilda

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Matilda. Another weight on the scale in favor of visiting the DR. Sounds like just what I am looking for...

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    why do I live here???

3. Because you forget thinking about yourself and marvel at the unselfishness of Dominicans
    7. Because all you need in life is food, friends, shelter and you learn to understand that the consumerism of the countries like mine (UK) and yours does not make you happy

Matilda
    Matilda, that was so well expressed that if one deletes the references to the DR, it could (and maybe even should) be the foundation of life for all of us.

Do you mind if I tweek your post a bit and forward it on to several friends? It is beautiful. Thanks.

Lindsey

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

10.being tweeked

Say what ! ???
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking why???

maybe because it is south of n.y.c.??? because you can... life is much different here.. you also can do here. might be harder. ex. i made a mistake and didnt bring something i needed and wasted a lot of time looking and calling asking friends to bring etc,. the store right on the corner near a shop i go to all the time has them for 42$. not much art but cultural activities. museams , you can do things you can not do in states. me? i am still loving the driving experience. you have to learn a new routine, settle for some things, learn spanish.. and hopefully meet a nice girl to give all your stuff to.
    i also want to start a new branch of the family tree..from my side...if you know what i mean.
    life is more enjoyable here. you learn to live with all of the other problems and go back and forth , by then you have some friends and miss your sweety and all the little kids who throw their arms around you when you visit.

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyKaufman View Post
    Matilda, that was so well expressed that if one deletes the references to the DR, it could (and maybe even should) be the foundation of life for all of us.

Do you mind if I tweek your post a bit and forward it on to several friends? It is beautiful. Thanks.

Lindsey
    feel free to tweak linds!!!!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    why do I live here???

Matilda
    I have lived in SD for 6 months now and moved here for the same reasons as above except 3 and 8 I have yet to experience in the same manner. Most of the dominicans i have experienced so far (with a few exceptions) are very selfish when it comes to money and will do whatever it takes to make or steal a buck from you right in front of your eyes. Be careful even paradise has some dangers

Say what ! ???
    Post Thanks / Like

Question it is also

interesting. i was in pop. one time and see a guy who was the owner of a new restaurant. i looked at him and holy cow. looks similiar to me. evan two tourists agreed who were there drinking. we also had almost the same last names. he s canadian im us. ok so we look alike have similiar european ancestry. we both admit to that. i see him maybe two more times and he has now fallen in lov w/cashier and maybe married or just got the local captain to pronounce.
    heres the interesting part. he has an accident with motor car and kills someone and sells all and leaves within a month.. probably had 150k can invested got away with jail time and lost 90% of his money bar and probably new family...
    im on the tourist road the other day and see a guy who does not look dominican at all. in fact has same anglo features as me. i stop and call out to him and he does not respond at all. comes back and i am talking w/two others. i ask them if he is family to them?? no response... he comes over and speaks , very short, curt and a little rude. trying to disquise his german austrian accent.
    point being. not all is here on a holiday. this is for some a sanctuary. e z to get hidden here. lost. people waqnted by auth. in other countries stay here for years while the time limit runs out.
    did they just catch someone here last week? a bigtime guy...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

What does "pop." mean?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast