why do you live here?

latka

Feb 13, 2009
Hello.
I have been reading forum posts here for a couple of days.
I live in the U.S., and am looking for a cultural shake up of my life. I have a couple of degrees, and have been and educator for more than a decade. I want a change of pace from the rat race. I am at the point in life where I question seriously the concept of being caught up in a race to gain the most things before one dies.

In addition, I think it would be a very sad thing to have lived and died knowing only the U.S. culture (or lack thereof, in may respects). I have an eye on Canada, as it seems the culture is more quality of life oriented as opposed to quantity of life oriented. I am also impressed with the fact that, while in Canada, I am not as nearly as hamstrung by racial stereotypes and racist practices as I am in the U.S.
I am not so naive as to assert there is no racism in Canada; I just think it is far more ingrained an pronounced in U.S. society.

My needs are simple: food, clothing, shelter, and a sense of community. The only luxury I'd like to continue to entertain is art related. I'd like to be able to continue to make art: painting, drawing, and black and white photography.

Thank you for patiently indulging my long - windedness thusfar. I am curious, especially with respect to those from the States, why you chose the D.R. as a home.

Last edited:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
why do I live here???

1. Because I laugh every day
2. Because I get up in the morning looking forward to the day
3. Because you forget thinking about yourself and marvel at the unselfishness of Dominicans
4. Because people really care about each other and look out for each other
5. Because you can make a difference
6. Because it is a beautiful country
7. Because all you need in life is food, friends, shelter and you learn to understand that the consumerism of the countries like mine (UK) and yours does not make you happy
8. Because money is not the be all and end all
9. Because there is nowhere else I would rather be

Matilda

latka

Feb 13, 2009
Thank you Matilda. Another weight on the scale in favor of visiting the DR. Sounds like just what I am looking for...

Aug 21, 2007
why do I live here???

3. Because you forget thinking about yourself and marvel at the unselfishness of Dominicans
7. Because all you need in life is food, friends, shelter and you learn to understand that the consumerism of the countries like mine (UK) and yours does not make you happy

Matilda

Matilda, that was so well expressed that if one deletes the references to the DR, it could (and maybe even should) be the foundation of life for all of us.

Do you mind if I tweek your post a bit and forward it on to several friends? It is beautiful. Thanks.

Lindsey

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
why???

maybe because it is south of n.y.c.??? because you can... life is much different here.. you also can do here. might be harder. ex. i made a mistake and didnt bring something i needed and wasted a lot of time looking and calling asking friends to bring etc,. the store right on the corner near a shop i go to all the time has them for 42$. not much art but cultural activities. museams , you can do things you can not do in states. me? i am still loving the driving experience. you have to learn a new routine, settle for some things, learn spanish.. and hopefully meet a nice girl to give all your stuff to.
i also want to start a new branch of the family tree..from my side...if you know what i mean.
life is more enjoyable here. you learn to live with all of the other problems and go back and forth , by then you have some friends and miss your sweety and all the little kids who throw their arms around you when you visit.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Matilda, that was so well expressed that if one deletes the references to the DR, it could (and maybe even should) be the foundation of life for all of us.

Do you mind if I tweek your post a bit and forward it on to several friends? It is beautiful. Thanks.

Lindsey

feel free to tweak linds!!!!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
why do I live here???

Matilda

I have lived in SD for 6 months now and moved here for the same reasons as above except 3 and 8 I have yet to experience in the same manner. Most of the dominicans i have experienced so far (with a few exceptions) are very selfish when it comes to money and will do whatever it takes to make or steal a buck from you right in front of your eyes. Be careful even paradise has some dangers

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
it is also

interesting. i was in pop. one time and see a guy who was the owner of a new restaurant. i looked at him and holy cow. looks similiar to me. evan two tourists agreed who were there drinking. we also had almost the same last names. he s canadian im us. ok so we look alike have similiar european ancestry. we both admit to that. i see him maybe two more times and he has now fallen in lov w/cashier and maybe married or just got the local captain to pronounce.
heres the interesting part. he has an accident with motor car and kills someone and sells all and leaves within a month.. probably had 150k can invested got away with jail time and lost 90% of his money bar and probably new family...
im on the tourist road the other day and see a guy who does not look dominican at all. in fact has same anglo features as me. i stop and call out to him and he does not respond at all. comes back and i am talking w/two others. i ask them if he is family to them?? no response... he comes over and speaks , very short, curt and a little rude. trying to disquise his german austrian accent.
point being. not all is here on a holiday. this is for some a sanctuary. e z to get hidden here. lost. people waqnted by auth. in other countries stay here for years while the time limit runs out.
did they just catch someone here last week? a bigtime guy...

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
My honeymoon periood is over so I do not have a list of lovely phrases to give you but all is not lost.
Right now I am "cleaning my closet" as you say. This country is full of malagradecidos and abusadores, but I digress......
Right now, at this moment, I am enjoying the fact that my money goes alot further. That I get a full body massage every week for 350RD (approx. $10 US), and not some fake type massage like men try to give you to get you "in the mood", I mean a REAL one, that targets actual muscles and costs $250 US in NYC!!!
My kids and I can take weekend trips to the Capital or to the beach because my rent is not $1400/month (but the house size is the same).
My kids go OUTSIDE to play and I have to beg them to come inside when its dark. Before, in the USA, I couldn't pay them to go outside!
There are a FEW Dominicans that actually care about other people and make you feel like part of their family.
I get depressed at times, especially in the winter in the USA, but here I love the weather...even when it is raining...I love it.
I will not move back to the USA...if I can help it.
SHALENA

donmobay

Say what ! ???
Dec 10, 2005
here

my personal self is freer. i was in a open air cafe and was dancing w/ waitress. shes not supposed to. but their was a wack o dancing and putting on a show for all to see. no one cared. i wanted to buy him a beer but why add gas to the fire?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Ok so not everyone here is fantastic. I know that. But when the chips are down the dominicans will be there for you.

example one: I was shot (not good). 400 (yes four hundred) dominicans visited me in hospital. It wa a long way away for them. Some even went to Higuey to light candles. Would that have happened in the UK. NO.

example two: you break down on the highway. People will stop to change your tyre. Even today taking my mother to the airport the fan belt went on the taxi and people stopped to help. Would that happen in the UK? NO.

Yes there are those who will overcharge you and will ask you for money. I get asked for money all the time. It is the way of the world here. If you do not have you ask. If you can make more money from someone you try to. Just learn the way of the world and work with it.

But I read somewhere to be happy you have to live for the day and not think about the past nor the future. But for life to have meaning you have to learn from the past and think about the future. Simple. You can't have both. So if you want to be happy then come here and live for the day but don't do your head in worrying about people hassling you for money!!!! Because they do that to locals and foreigners alike. My husband who is Dominican gets 50 calls a day asking for money. If they do not have then they will ask and have no qualms about asking. It is the way. Just say no.

But don't let it bug you!! Just have another Brugal and enjoy the sunset!!!

Matilda

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
malagradecidos....abusadores....?

Please explain...

Sorry...
Malagradecidos : Ungrateful, you give them and they want more and more, they never say thank you for what you have done for them...only complain when you don't

Abusadores: Abusors, take advantage of the kindness of other people, abuse their friendships

SHALENA

latka

Feb 13, 2009
Matilda: you were shot?
Hmmm... did I tell you I live in Detroit? Danger is something I live with every day, and I am not even an international man of intrigue. :cheeky:

Where I am from, you can hardly go to a store or a gas station without being hustled for "fitee cent".
And the abusive ingrates... hmmmm..... DR sound like home...

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Ok so not everyone here is fantastic. I know that. But when the chips are down the dominicans will be there for you.

example one: I was shot (not good). 400 (yes four hundred) dominicans visited me in hospital. It wa a long way away for them. Some even went to Higuey to light candles. Would that have happened in the UK. NO.

example two: you break down on the highway. People will stop to change your tyre. Even today taking my mother to the airport the fan belt went on the taxi and people stopped to help. Would that happen in the UK? NO.

Yes there are those who will overcharge you and will ask you for money. I get asked for money all the time. It is the way of the world here. If you do not have you ask. If you can make more money from someone you try to. Just learn the way of the world and work with it.

But I read somewhere to be happy you have to live for the day and not think about the past nor the future. But for life to have meaning you have to learn from the past and think about the future. Simple. You can't have both. So if you want to be happy then come here and live for the day but don't do your head in worrying about people hassling you for money!!!! Because they do that to locals and foreigners alike. My husband who is Dominican gets 50 calls a day asking for money. If they do not have then they will ask and have no qualms about asking. It is the way. Just say no.

But don't let it bug you!! Just have another Brugal and enjoy the sunset!!!

Matilda

Another excellent post Mat! And the great attitude as always.