Saman? - first visit in three years

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Just got back from four days with my visiting family in Saman?, taking in all the main highlights: Playa Rinc?n, Salto El Lim?n and the whales. It was my first visit in three years to an area that I used to visit as often as once a month when my son was a baby and toddler and we weren't so constrained by his academic schedule. :)

Getting there on the new road
We used the new toll road and although the route and the scenery are great, I couldn't help noticing that as a mere two-lane highway it hardly merits the title 'autopista', and certainly does not justify ANY peaje charges. Mr C speculated that in good old Latin American tradition it was originally meant to be a proper four-lane highway "pero se robaron los cuartos". There is a short stretch in the hilly, windy section after you enter Los Haitises National Park where there is an extra lane for overtaking but that's it. There are also long stretches without any painted lines or cats-eyes. This may or may not still be in progress though.

The real shocker though was when you rejoin the Nagua - Saman? road. It has deteriorated beyond belief, to the point that there are patches where the road has crumbled away completely. So what was the point of that new highway when the rest of the route is almost impassible? Airline passengers landing at the spanking new El Catey international airport also have to endure about 70kms of this before they finally get to Saman?. Once you get beyond Saman? city and head on towards Las Galeras it is even worse. This stretch was never great, but now it is sheer torture.

I know that people in the Punta Cana/B?varo area are always complaining about the state of the roads considering that it is the country's main tourist area that generates huge amounts of revenue for the government, but I can safely say that the folks of Saman? have far more to complain about. What are the the people in government thinking of, apart from which model to choose for their next jeepeta? Are all those influential tourist empresarios asleep or just not influential enough??? If I had invested as much as Gran Bah?a Principe and other tourist businesses in the area I would be positively screeching it from the rooftops, threatening to pull out of the country and sending the government ministers concerned poos in the post (if the postal system worked, that is) sneaking into their offices and sewing sardines into the hems of their curtains RIGHT NOW.

Seriously, had I known just how bad the road was, I wouldn't have taken my visitors there. My group included one elderly person and one toddler who isn't a patient traveller at the best of times. I would - with a heavy heart - discourage anyone who isn't a youngish, fit and seasoned traveller or anyone travelling with small children from visiting this part of the country until the situation improves.

Saman? is - for my money - the most beautiful part of the DR and still has a reasonably good balance between tourist development and local colour, but for many visitors the experience will be seriously altered by the agony they have to suffer travelling along those bumpy roads, and local businesses must be suffering the consequences too. I am aware that a better road may tip the balance towards over-development but it is not just the comfort of the tourists that is an issue but the safety and comfort of local people using those so-called roads on a daily basis.

Highlights
The attractions are as wonderful as ever - there were more people than I've ever seen at the beach to top all beaches in the DR, Playa Rinc?n but that was to be expected, and happily there is still no sign of the threatened Cap Cana style residential/tourist development there.

I didn't go to Salto El Lim?n myself but most of the other members of my party did and had a wonderful time despite all the mud from the recent rains, and were very pleased with the guides and food provided by Do?a Nega.

We went on a whale watching trip with Kim Beddall and were all very impressed by her and her colleagues - it was a most rewarding experience that more than met our expectations, even though our youngest member chose to projectile vomit the moment we finally got to see a whale breaching and I would like to apologise once more on behalf of my niece to the tourist who got caught in the crossfire.:ermm:

We stayed at Hotel Las Ballenas Escondidas between Saman? and Las Galeras - overall an exceptionally lovely place and highly recommended on many counts. Idyllic setting on a steep slope that descends to a small private beach, well maintained, spotless and nicely decorated rooms and cabins, gorgeous gardens (lots of steep steps so not entirely suitable for people with mobility problems), fantastic views, smallish infinity pool fed by cool spring water, free wi-fi, pleasant staff, delectable French cuisine: as in many establishments in Saman? the owners are French but the lady speaks excellent English.

On the downside - no credit cards accepted which is a problem especially if you are in a large party staying for several days - one is hardly going to be travelling around with such large sums in cash. IMO the prices were just a little too high for what you get - usually one expects a little more than just soap and cheap toilet paper in the bathrooms (no shampoo, shower gel) and not very nice sliced bread for breakfast. Maybe they thought that as Brits we would be happy with white sliced and save the good stuff for the continentals?:cheeky:

We also made a lightning visit to our beloved Las Galeras and it seems to have grown quite a bit, in a typically haphazard way. It was good to see some of the old faces there.

Saman? city is looking good, the new hotels and cruise ship traffic have served to boost it a little and the new constructions are mainly in harmony with the surroundings. The Malec?n, which was imaginatively refurbished a few years ago, was looking a little sorry and neglected, unfortunately.

Reactions: Celt202 and Berzin

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
What a lovely...and enlightening, as always...trip report. It makes me yearn to get back there.

I am pleased that despite the problems you encountered, you and you group got to enjoy a beautiful place.

I concur fully that this is by far the most spectacular part of the country and should not be missed.

fabiola34

Feb 17, 2009
Samana most be the next Port for those who look for real tourism. I am from a small town close by, but I live in spain, every time a go to the dom rep I visit samana as it has the most beutiful beaches ever!!!

Fabiola

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I would say the roads are the biggest minus against tourists travelling to a wider selection of places - they go on one trip from the all inclusive and decide all that shaking isnt for them- by the way I was impressed by most of the roads in jarabacoa(did they get all the tarmac)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Not so much a 4WD as any sturdy vehicle with good shock absorbers that is not too low-slung - you can probably even do it in a normal car but with great discomfort for both car and passengers.

Some people even made it to Playa Rinc?n in small hire cars, we were in a minivan that did OK, but a high jeep/SUV/pickup is the ideal choice.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Not so much a 4WD as any sturdy vehicle with good shock absorbers that is not too low-slung - you can probably even do it in a normal car but with great discomfort for both car and passengers.

Some people even made it to Playa Rinc?n in small hire cars, we were in a minivan that did OK, but a high jeep/SUV/pickup is the ideal choice.

I can totally relate...certainly an interesting drive in a minivan as we went with that option too.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The DR has taken to heavily advertising Samana recently.
- and Saman? is more than worthy of any promotion it receives, as it is exceptionally beautiful and has a lot to offer the visitor. Shame about the access though. It is a major strategic blunder to persuade people to visit a place that is all but inaccessible.

cocoleka

Sep 7, 2007
I too went to playa rincon in jan 09 and it was like driving on the moon. The beach was beautiful but my memory of the trip is dominated by the bone-shaking road. Would like to parachute in next time...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
MotoCaribe travels to Samana twice a month for several days. Beautiful place, indeed.

We cannot wait for the roads torn to absolute rubble by the aquaduct to be complete. And every trip we see a little more done.

From what we've been told by several folks, the roads cannot be resurfaced, proper drainage installed (the #1 problem there), etc., until the entire project has been pressure tested. And this includes the really horrible roads to Playa Rincon thet will feed the massive resort going in there (we saw survey crews there last week on the beach itself). When that's done, the road goes in.

Getting into Samana from Sanchez isn't nearly as bad as it once was from the end of the water project. That side has made great progress. But from the road to El Limon/Las Terranas all the way to Playa Rincon (but not to Las Galeras) just purely sucks!

Gotta say, though: it's a LOT better on a V-Strom than any vehicle. Cars take a beating there.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Bad news about the Rinc?n resort.

In all the trips I made to Saman? between 1996 and 2005 the paving on the Nagua-S?nchez-Saman? stretch was much, much better than it is now. Some parts of the Saman?-Las Galeras stretch were always poor, but now it is far worse.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I vaguely recall a Cap Cana connection, which is why it is surprising if it is indeed proceeding. You'd think they'd have other fish to fry.

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
Great shots of the ballenas!
Many thanks to your husband for sharing them with us.

Years ago, Guillermo and I tried to see the whales and we went out but we didn't see any. I now know what I missed. Beautiful!!

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
Just came back from the D.R. a week ago. We travelled down to the Samana peninsula from Sosua on this trip as we wanted to see all the beautiful beaches and countryside we have seen in so many pictures. All comments about attrocious roads are completely justified and we were very glad to be in a nice sturdy SUV. Don't think a car would have survived the trip, especially on the way back at night. Las Terrenas was everything we hoped for and the rest of the countryside as well. Samanan town was pretty once we managed to make it down the road from the mountains and the view from the Malecon over the bay was magnificent. However when we got close enough to the edge to look downwards we were apalled at the incredible amount of garbage alone the entire shore of the bay. We walked along the entire Malecon and I never once saw even the smallest fish. I'm sure the collosal amount of garbage has killed or driven off most life in the bay. Labour is cheap in the D.R. You would think the local government would do something to clean it up to impress all the tourists coming through these days. Other than that big downer it was a great trip though. Next time we will stay down there for a few days and visit Los Galleras, Sanchez etc.