Cabarete ProCab Incident?

Islander777

Sep 19, 2008
The rumor mill has it that a European man and his wife were attacked in ProCab, Cabarete at 4 a.m. Sunday morning. Supposedly the man was killed and the woman badly injured. Anybody know what actually happened and why?

wendyj

Jul 24, 2006
That would explain all the noise and activity at that time of the morning then!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
He was killed, she was sexually molested and injured but survives. The deceased was Dutch, his wife German. Laptop, camera & cellphone stolen but assailants were apparently looking for documents pertaining to a Court case the victims had over the hotel/restaurant El Castillo. Both victims were allegedly tortured, presumably to extract info about the documents. Sounds brutal & nasty.
ASESINAN INVERSIONISTA HOLANDES Y VIOLAN A SU ESPOSA

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
I am totally shocked. I heard about this on Sunday morning and it was clear to me immediately that this was not just an ordenary robbery gone wrong.
The court case about the Hotel was about to be determined any day or maybe it already was.
This was a "hit" as far as I am concerned and the fact that some stuff was taken was just a front to make it look like a robbery...or a bonus for the hitmen.
We have known Jan and Therese for many years. I hope that Therese gets through this ok. Does anyone know how she is and if she can receive visitors?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
We have known Jan and Therese for many years. I hope that Therese gets through this ok. Does anyone know how she is and if she can receive visitors?

Profound condolences, snowbird44. First reports said Therese was in a private clinic in Sosua, later ones say Puerto Plata. I would guess that both Dutch & German Embassies would know the latest information. It's in just about every paper: here are a few:
Desconocidos matan a palos a un holand?s y violan esposa en norte dominicano :: CLAVE digital

Desconocidos matan a palos a un holand?s y violan esposa - DiarioLibre.com

Desconocidos matan a palos a un holand?s y violan esposa en norte dominicano
Be advised that on link below is a link to You Tube to a very graphic video, showing interview with police pathologist on site & others. I won't put the You Tube link up for reasons of taste but if you click on it be advised it leaves nothing to the imagination.
El Nuevo Norte > Inicio

Puerto Plata Digital

PN investiga muerte de turista alem?n en Puerto Plata

Sosua Online

La Rep?blica - Encapuchados matan inversionista holand?s y violan aesposa

Matan turista holand?s - ElNacional.com.do

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The more press the better. I hope this Fidel gets whats coming to him sooner rather that later - it is only inevitable.

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Thanks, Lambada, for all the info.
I can't say that we were close friends with them, but we knew them well enough and talked to them frequently.
My stomach just turns when I think about this. Poor Therese, she is such a sweetheart and to have suffered through that ordeal, adding insult to injury.
I hope she gets well soon, physically and mentally.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Yes, they were.

Not that I would feel any less upset by this tragedy if it were different people, but I met Jan and Teresa a few times and they truly were nice, generous, very interesting people. I spent a couple of great evenings with them in their restaurant having wonderful conversations. They made me feel incredibly welcomed in their "home". This is just...horrible...and so, so sad :(

wakefrank

Jan 28, 2008
Hi, does anyone know the youtube thread? I don't want to seem like a vulture, but I like to have complete info on my countrymens death.
We'll be in Cabarete in 4 weeks
thanks
frank

wakefrank

Jan 28, 2008
if it is in the post #6... is it in the article where the link leads to?

whoops to viloent.. I'll pass then anyway..

thanks!

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
I saw the YouTube video last night. It showed the injuries sustained by Jan and it was a gruesome sight. I didn't think the video would show close-ups but it did.

My heart goes out to the widow and their remaining family.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
You Tube pulled it for TOS violation

Thank goodness. The injuries would have been very distressing for relatives and the pathologist was not the most respectful when handling the body.

I'm sure I don't need to say this, but just in case I do, I will. Please don't post the location of Therese, anyone who knows it. (I don't & I'm deliberately not asking). Until all the assailants are captured it is better not to have this information on a public board - even the papers had the sense to fudge it yesterday. I don't know how far the police have got with this. Unfortunately the north coast police are tied up with the arrest of some of their own members, that investigation, the replacing of the General, the visit of the National Chief etc & I don't know how much police work is actually getting done.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Thank goodness. The injuries would have been very distressing for relatives and the pathologist was not the most respectful when handling the body.

I'm sure I don't need to say this, but just in case I do, I will. Please don't post the location of Therese, anyone who knows it. (I don't & I'm deliberately not asking). Until all the assailants are captured it is better not to have this information on a public board - even the papers had the sense to fudge it yesterday. I don't know how far the police have got with this. Unfortunately the north coast police are tied up with the arrest of some of their own members, that investigation, the replacing of the General, the visit of the National Chief etc & I don't know how much police work is actually getting done.

As always, VERY sound advice. I hope all will take heed.

Islander777

Sep 19, 2008
Lambada: thank you for all the links. You are wonderful.

Its in the international press now. Here's a link to an article in the International Herald Tribune:

Police: Thieves kill Dutch man, rape wife in DR - International Herald Tribune

Those of us in Cabarete can expect our friends to start calling and writing worried concern about our well-being! This crime looks like a nasty revenge killing and torture resulting from a personal or financial dispute. You could call it a hate crime, I suppose. It was no random robbery!