Caribbean vs expats. Are we safe here?

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
After twelve days of escalation the Guadeloupe anti-expat uprising spreads into Martinique.

Are we 100% safe here? Are local Dominicans happy with growing prices and more and more rich expats taking best lands on the island?
Anyone is closely familiar with safety and security situation in this country please?

Clashes exacerbate strike in French Caribbean

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Forget it, no problem. In addition the the expats there are numerous Dominican expats as well, all pumping their precious dollars into the economy.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
After twelve days of escalation the Guadeloupe anti-expat uprising spreads into Martinique.

Are we 100% safe here? Are local Dominicans happy with growing prices and more and more rich expats taking best lands on the island?
Anyone is closely familiar with safety and security situation in this country please?

Apples and oranges, man.

Geez, do you have to combine your usual bad information with unfounded alarmism?

Maybe it's time for you to "swim in ocean, get cheap foods and enjoy freedoms of sex without prosecution" a bit more....:tired::tired::tired:

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Thanks for the heads up on a business opportunity!

Time to direct some marketing of the DR in the Lesser Antilles, eh?

Let's see, what would be a good phrase:

Do you want paradise but paradise doesn't want you? No problem in Dominican Republic!

-NALs;)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Are we 100% safe here?

I doubt if you are, after a post like that. So I'd keep checking over your shoulder, buddy :cheeky:. Valentine's Day not a rip-roaring success, huh? Or have car imports changed to weaponry imports? We already had one of those people on here, trying to drum up business by scare tactics & they weren't wonderfully successful either.

IF we ever have a revolution here (big IF) it won't be the expats they're gunning for.

Might I suggest that if enough people agree, we ask the Mod to alter the thread title. It's misleading. Anyone else think so?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I doubt if you are, after a post like that. So I'd keep checking over your shoulder, buddy :cheeky:. Valentine's Day not a rip-roaring success, huh? Or have car imports changed to weaponry imports? We already had one of those people on here, trying to drum up business by scare tactics & they weren't wonderfully successful either.

IF we ever have a revolution here (big IF) it won't be the expats they're gunning for.

Might I suggest that if enough people agree, we ask the Mod to alter the thread title. It's misleading. Anyone else think so?

Yes, I agree that the thread title is misleading and also not actually that relevant to the DR at all but that is IMHO.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Being a Gold Member I honestly believed that human lives and its protection is paramaunt and we have a wholesome fruitful and beneficial discussion on how to be prepared.

And expected safety and security professionals to participate and teach us on self protection measures in our local field context.

But if indeed RE value considerations are so high and painful I have no objections against closing the thread if Robert and Anna also think likewise.

I tried to facilitate protection of human people here if from Martinique and Guadalupe it moves closer to this island.

If it is not needed, I feel very sad and upset but at least having tried to do something for community...

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There is a difference between a beneficial discussion & helpful hints like
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/56534-how-safer-dr-compilation-tips-dr1-members.html

and scaring people witless inaccurately. There is no 'anti-expat' surge of aggression here, you live here so you know that. There are plenty of strong feelings against corrupt politicos, the narco industry etc etc but NOT against expats.

It has nothing to do with RE prices as far as I'm concerned. I'm not in the business & I'm not selling my home. I couldn't personally give a toss about what happens to RE prices here. If you want to do 'something for the community' then be responsible & report accurately. Yes there is crime here, yes it has increased in the last 7 years but it is NOT, repeat NOT targetted at expats. It is equal opportunity expat & Dominican alike. More Dominicans live here than expats, ergo, they are victims more often.

It isn't the topic I'm against discussing, AK74, it is false representations of it.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
The protests in Martinique and Guadeloupe are not directed at expats they are directed at the 1% white elite population of the islands.

Eso tipo hay tornillos flojos. :tired:

b.batista

Feb 21, 2008
over the edge

What do the Vichey in Martinique have to do with expats in the DR?
Nothing ! He should pay attention to the feedback he gets from his posts.

Why do you make so many moronic posts?

WHAT are you talking about?

Why don't you post actual facts instead of generalizing with grossly exaggerated gibberish?

but Mr AK74 still hopes for some stupid sucker who will pm him and ask for help.

Your words get more and more insane.

we know you are totally full of it, once again, talking out of your a$$.

What are you talking about?

This is funny - you can't close the thread - but I'd suggest Anna might want to - LOL

Get some help with your addiction!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Guadeloupe and Martinique are part of France. Some would term them "colonies" - and indeed. IMHO, that is really what these "uprisings" are - a colonial revolt against French rule. Those islands are not self sufficient in food ( a problem in most of the Caribbean)taxes are high and the underlying racial tensions are severe.

Don't see that any of those apply here. Taxes are not imposed on the poor - not on low incomes, not on low priced real estate, not on fresh food --- and there are lots of government subsidies. Agreed- no comparison.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
on the up side - they do have nice roads there- a taxi driver there (Guadeloupe) appologised to me for the state of the road- I thought it was a good one lol

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Being a Gold Member I honestly believed that human lives and its protection is paramaunt and we have a wholesome fruitful and beneficial discussion on how to be prepared.

All being a "gold" member means is you've put up over 500 posts. Clearly, it has no bearing whatsoever on the quality of the information in them.

If we were to distill the few good postings out of the heap of misleading statements you've made, I'd be surprised if we'd be left with a baker's dozen.

Seriously man, I don't know you and have nothing personal against you. I appreciate good information as much as the next person. However, these kinds of specious comments (such as "are expats in DR safe due to an internal struggle in another country") with no basis in relevant fact do not add to your reputation around here. Quite the opposite, really.

I would ask that you consider the strong opposition virtually all your substantive posts receive and wonder whether that's because, increasingly, people see your name attached to a post and either 1) ignore it, or 2) read it solely for entertainment value, as anything else in it is worthless.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
But the most pernicious thing about AK74's post IMHO is that it feeds to the rumour mill which thrives at some expat watering holes: those uninformed expats who don't read the papers, listen to the radio or watch TV & get their 'news' from the other expats who prop up the bar most of the day. Then they start promoting that there's 'anti-expat feeling' here and as a result every incident (like the tragedy in ProCab) is interpreted in that light. As a result some expats, consciously or unconsciously, alter their behaviour towards the locals, becoming over suspicious, unfriendly etc. And guess what? One day there WILL be a reaction to such altered behaviour. Thus ultimately achieving 'anti-expat' feeling. Talk about Loose Lips Sink Ships! :ermm:

You can rightly be critical of a lot of things in this country but locals vs. expats isn't one of them. Unless of course, AK74, that is your ultimate goal?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Very Well Said!

But the most pernicious thing about AK74's post IMHO is that it feeds to the rumour mill which thrives at some expat watering holes: those uninformed expats who don't read the papers, listen to the radio or watch TV & get their 'news' from the other expats who prop up the bar most of the day. Then they start promoting that there's 'anti-expat feeling' here and as a result every incident (like the tragedy in ProCab) is interpreted in that light. As a result some expats, consciously or unconsciously, alter their behaviour towards the locals, becoming over suspicious, unfriendly etc. And guess what? One day there WILL be a reaction to such altered behaviour. Thus ultimately achieving 'anti-expat' feeling. Talk about Loose Lips Sink Ships! :ermm:

You can rightly be critical of a lot of things in this country but locals vs. expats isn't one of them. Unless of course, AK74, that is your ultimate goal?

Great observation, as usual, Lambada, and so very true. Look there is every reason for lots and lots of Dominicans to dislike Expats. Lots of us are creeps. Lots of the men come down for predatory sexual behavior. Lots of the people in real estate are just speculators. Lots of the people who live here never bother to learn Spanish, never figure out how they can contribute. Lots of expats pay the locals poorly. ETC ETC ETC ETC....

So it is up to the few of us who really care about the quality of our lives here and the quality of the lives of the Dominicans to make an extra effort- to help assure that we and other expats behave so that we are a welcomed and treasured asset to the country.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008

Don't worry AK74, Guadeloupe and Martinique are two tiny islands compare with the DR that most be like twenty times bigger than those 2 islands combine, so we Dominicans don't need to fight expats for land (we have plenty) or food as we harvest our own food in the fertile Cibao Valley.

Expats don't have the best land on the island, who told you that? just because expats prefered to live in coastal area doesn't mean that you have the best land of the island, in case you have not notice we Dominican don't like to live in the coastal area nor we like to spend the whole day sun tanning in the beach, rich expats are not more richer than rich Dominican in the island.