Street legal ATV???

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Is it possible to register an ATV to be street legal?
Did anyone go through on this process before ?
I have seen many riders without license plate on public roads, is it legal-illegal??
Would I be in a big trouble to ride it on public roads w/o permits?

Thanks!

TheHun

bryan1258

Bronze
Dec 24, 2007
Why!!!

Is it possible to register an ATV to be street legal?
Did anyone go through on this process before ?
I have seen many riders without license plate on public roads, is it legal-illegal??
Would I be in a big trouble to ride it on public roads w/o permits?

Thanks!

TheHun

Hun I hope you're living in LT because every a##hole european drives an ATV. Please don't bring that to POP or Sosua. ATV'S probably will be outlawed shortly.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
ATV's are street legal, they have license plates and insurance just like other motos.
Just carry a photocopy of your paperwork and you'll be find. I don't attach my license plate when I am in the north coast, but would attach it if I am in Santiago.

Last edited:

TheHun

May 4, 2008
ATV's are street legal, they have license plates and insurance just like other motos.
Just carry a photocopy of your paperwork and you'll be find. I don't attach my license plate when I am in the north coast, but would attach it if I am in Santiago.

Ricardo,

Thanks for your response. My custom agent said that ATVs does not required registration, so they registered only my trailer and car.
What needs to be done to get a license plate for my 4 wheeler?
Could you give me some info / advice.
Sometimes I play by the rules. ;)

TheHun

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Ricardo,

Thanks for your response. My custom agent said that ATVs does not required registration, so they registered only my trailer and car.
What needs to be done to get a license plate for my 4 wheeler?
Could you give me some info / advice.
Sometimes I play by the rules. ;)

TheHun

I believe you will have to go to Puerto Plata and I believe (not certain) the local DGII office with all of your paper work.

I can't give you all of the details, because I bought my QUAD with a license plate and a "certificado de propiedad de vehiculos de motor". With the certificado and my passport, I was able to get liability insurance for the QUAD. When I ride I don't even affix the plate.(but probably I should) I carry a photocopy of the certificate and my insurance card.

Maybe the other more experienced posters could chime in.

Good Luck,
Ricardo

TheHun

May 4, 2008
I might just put a US lic. plate on it and carry a copy of the title :bandit:
How much do you pay for insurance?
BTW, today I have passed next to 3 amet guys in different intersections , at 2 I had to stop b/c of red light and they did not mind me. Least 1 of them could clearly see I was riding w/o lic. plate.
I just put a big, stupid gringo smile on my face and everything was OK.

The Hun

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I might just put a US lic. plate on it and carry a copy of the title :bandit:
How much do you pay for insurance?
BTW, today I have passed next to 3 amet guys in different intersections , at 2 I had to stop b/c of red light and they did not mind me. Least 1 of them could clearly see I was riding w/o lic. plate.
I just put a big, stupid gringo smile on my face and everything was OK.

The Hun

I've seen plenty of Dominicans affixing US, Puerto Rican and European plates on the front of their car, while having the Dominican Plate in the back, hahaha. But I pay RD$1,000 a year for liability. I never had a problem with AMET, they seem uninterested, unless I am missing a helmut and Policia Nacional seems more interested in my "papeles" or how much they can ask me for.