Slumdog Milionaire?

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
has any other DR1'rs seen this film? I am only just half way thru....but it reminds me so much of the DR. The struggle between the have's and the have nots. The scenes of the street kids really reminds me of the D.R.

Just wondering if anyone has seen it and gets a smililar feeling. It has got a ton of acadamy award nominitions.

Sorta off topic...but when i am watching it i cant stop thinking about the street kids in santo domingo or in brazil.

Please chime in.

Edit: Here is the link to the movie, provided by Dominican Joe(muchas gracias, brother!!!)

http://www.free-tv-video-online.info...d=XNjE3ODkyMTY

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Berzin

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I've read the book (Q&A) and along with many recent novels from India there is a lot that will strike a chord with people who have lived in any third world country/emerging economy - some scenes and situations are reminiscent of life in the DR, others are completely different.

Q&A was quite good and I am really looking forward to seeing Slumdog Millionaire. If you enjoyed it, some really good reads from Indian authors writing in English that I recommend are White Tiger by Aravind Adiga or anything by Rohinton Mistry.

ruzbehb

Dec 27, 2008
It's a very well shot film in Mumbai (my hometown)

starts off with very shocking (but real) scenes...I could relate to most of them...I won't be surprised if such scenes are common in other developing countries

then moves on to fiction, suspense, dreams, love and romance...

Also gives you a taste of Bollywood with all the singing and dancing :)
check out the dance :) - YouTube - Slumdog Millionaire - Jai Ho Dance Scene Video (Ultra Remix)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
What you see in the movie is very real and what you have seen, does happen to real people. example: poor homeless kids are regularly kidnapped and then made blind or have their limbs amputated so they could go out begging for the owners. The little girls are also kidnapped or bought and sold to rich filthy men for their pleasure or to work in some whorehouse later. This is the ugly side of bombay and other cities alike in far east asia.
AZB

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
I just hope it wins the film of the year! Especially, that way we are not drowned with all the BS with Brad Pitt in his movie (TCC of Benjamin Button)!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i saw the grand torino and the brad pitt's movie and even the will smith's movie. Shame how Hollywood is spending millions of dollars and still producing lame movies. Slumdog millionaire is the best among all.
AZB

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
There have been quite a few movies that have gotten good reviews and just so happen to be Hollywood-driven. Nothing wrong with that. Just check out the movie section in "Social Groups". I have listed the ones I think are worth checking out.

But let's be real here, ladies and gents. The chica in "Slumdog" would not of gone with him if he hadn't gotten paid in the end. Nothing against women, just being realistic.

I guess I'm just not into sappy, unrealistic love stories with the proverbial happy ending. I did enjoy watching the struggles the young man persevered, dealing with a double-crossing best friend, the cop who interrogated him and the game show host who did everything he could to sabotage his quest. I enjoyed the fact that he kept his chin up throughout his ordeals and did not stoop to the levels that these other people were operating at. But the love story itself? Eh...

Now you want to see a love story that's more in tune with reality, check out "The Reader" with Kate Winslet. Two flawed, selfish human beings who cannot get things to go well. But they had a passionate love affair which effected them both greatly, even years after it ended.

Last edited:

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Slumdog was very good I thought, but I would have preferred if in the end they wouldn't have gotten together. After all the BS he goes through because of her and he's still begging, made me think "you pu$$y!"...Kind of with Berzin on this one.

I thought a better ending would have been if he missed the last question, and she would have left him (again) for the host of the show...That's just the cynical me I guess...

I downloaded The Reader and will watch one of these days...

Good movie I watched recently was "The boy in the striped pajamas"

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i keep on hearing about "the reader" the reply here makes me really want to check it out. As i am in my own 8 year disfunctional relationship that goes no where but keeps going on.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I keep on hearing about "The Reader". The reply here makes me really want to check it out. As I am in my own 8 year dysfunctional relationship that goes no where but keeps going on.

Winslet's character was indeed a mess but she had redeeming qualities that with the right person would of blossomed, not the 16 year-old she had an affair with.

The story is beautiful, just don't expect a happy ending or any Bollywood-style dancing at the end as the credits roll.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
when was the last time anyone got an award for good acting in a comedy role- it usually involves bonking and/or misery

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
when was the last time anyone got an award for good acting in a comedy role- it usually involves bonking and/or misery

well...the golden globes have a seperate category for musical/comedy.

Didnt Gwyeth Platrow win for Shakespear in Love? I think that would rate as a comedy rather than a drama.

I wouldnt say that dustin hoffman in rain man would equate misery...just a great performance.

Cuba Gooding Jr's role want a pain and misery story either...just a complex character.

BUt i agree...it would be cool to see more comedies nominated. As a former actor...comedy is much harder to pull off than drama. It is easy to pull at someones heart strings...but it is really hard to make them laugh.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Five comedies for you, off the top of my head. Yes they are offbeat, but excellent-

1) Rushmore
2) Bottle Rocket
3) Napoleon Dynamite
4) Superbad
5) Juno

Some of the humor isn't as obvious as say the Three Stooges hitting themselves over the head with foreign objects, but if you want a good laugh pick any of them and go for it.

?

? bient?t

Five comedies for you, off the top of my head. Yes they are offbeat, but excellent-

1) Rushmore
2) Bottle Rocket
3) Napoleon Dynamite
4) Superbad
5) Juno

Some of the humor isn't as obvious as say the Three Stooges hitting themselves over the head with foreign objects, but if you want a good laugh pick any of them and go for it.

"Sweet!"

"Vote for Pedro."

"A liger... is pretty much my favorite animal - it's like a lion and tiger mixed."

Simply genius, and I still watch it.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
There have been quite a few movies that have gotten good reviews and just so happen to be Hollywood-driven. Nothing wrong with that. Just check out the movie section in "Social Groups". I have listed the ones I think are worth checking out.

But let's be real here, ladies and gents. The chica in "Slumdog" would not of gone with him if he hadn't gotten paid in the end. Nothing against women, just being realistic.

I guess I'm just not into sappy, unrealistic love stories with the proverbial happy ending. I did enjoy watching the struggles the young man persevered, dealing with a double-crossing best friend, the cop who interrogated him and the game show host who did everything he could to sabotage his quest. I enjoyed the fact that he kept his chin up throughout his ordeals and did not stoop to the levels that these other people were operating at. But the love story itself? Eh...

Now you want to see a love story that's more in tune with reality, check out "The Reader" with Kate Winslet. Two flawed, selfish human beings who cannot get things to go well. But they had a passionate love affair which effected them both greatly, even years after it ended.

Berzin, the girl wanted to have money to live a happy live by herself or next to the guy, (Spoiler) but remember that she did show up at the train station before he even is in the contest (Spoiler), I guess that could change perception a bit...for me Slumdog is the best movie of the year, I watched The curious case of BB, and the Wrestler, and Slumdog is by far the best of those.

Best actor should go to Mickey Rourke by the act he portrays in the wrestler, it was one of the best performances I have ever seen from an actor, you really thought he was a washed up WWF wrestler (reminded me of the Ultimate Warrior).

In comedy one of the best ones ever for me should be "There's something about Mary" I mean I can see the movie 20 times and I still roll on the floor laughing...