Crazy things you have seen living here?

blacklilah

Jan 25, 2008
What are some of the strangest things you?ve seen here? The English- language radio station in Sosua has a great ?Bud Light? parody, about saluting the motoconcho?s and the seemingly impossible things they carry on their bikes.

In that vein, what are some things that you could say to someone ?now that I live in the DR, this is what I learned?, based on things that you would not regularly see in North America.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
people rushing to help if you fall over in the street or 23 people stopping to assist when your car breaks down

blacklilah

Jan 25, 2008
Horse-towing

We saw a guy on a motorcycle that was being towed by a horse, down the main road by pop.

scubarod

Jan 9, 2009
i saw a man with boobs...no joke in boca chica. i even took a picture to prove to people. i will post if any interest!!!

in fact there we many many thing that we saw there and had great laughs about.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
-Drive-through places to get a cold beer or a cocktail to go.

-Packages of chicken feet for sale in the supermarket meat counters

-Dead horses along country roads which were struck by cars the night before, and then the ritualistic can of gas-oil and a disposal fire a week later when the smell gets too ripe for those living nearby.

-Shoeshine kids wordlessly pointing at tourists open sandals or tennis shoes "asking" them if they want a shine.

-7 taxis/publicos/buses side-by-side across a 3 lane street, all waiting for the red light to change.

-a military HumVee with exposed machine guns mounted on the hood, cruising the 27 de Febrero elevado in Santo Domingo. (at the tailend of the Hipolito regime)

Reactions: Berzin

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
There was a guy in Puerto Plata that was crazy and used to walk the streets pretending he was driving a motorcycle (Knees bent like he was sitting, arms out holding the handle bars, making motorcycle noises like he was switching gears...."Rrrrrrrrrrrrr, Rrrrrrrrrrr, Rrrrrrrrr".)

One day we were sitting in a cafe and we heard a bunch of horns honking and people yelling. We walked to the door to see what the commotion was. The imaginary motorcycle had imaginary broken down and was blocking a busy street. He was standing on one leg, while trying to imaginary kick-start his imaginary motorcycle with the other leg and working the throttle like a mad man.

Finally after a few minutes of people yelling and honking a pair of cops walked up and I thought "uh-oh, this won't end well for the crazy guy".

To my surprise, the first cop motioned for the drivers who were honking to take it easy, while the second asked the crazy guy to step aside. The second cop then calmly grabbed the imaginary handle bars and moved the imaginary motorcycle off to the side of the road so the cars could pass.

End of story.

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Does anybody have any photos of these thought provoking descriptions?

Tropical Regards
Reidy
anpalmisl.gif

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
No camera

One way sign with 2 Amet standing under it watching the cars passing going the wrong way. Every one happy.
Still wonder what you really have to do to get a ticket, as it seems to be at the whim. not that you done anything wrong.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
turned into a one way street in puerto plata and immediately three people pointed and everyone started honking at me lol and yet other people seem to do whatever they want on the road

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
Better

My metro ride, great!, good air conditioning, comfortable. But a little sad humor, at the Villa Milla station, was an old gentelman try to go up the down escalator, he tried 3 times before another person and I caught him from falling, and explained to him that the other one went up this one was down. please try the other one. Not sure from how far back in the campo he was from.

Aug 21, 2007
My metro ride, great!, good air conditioning, comfortable. But a little sad humor, at the Villa Milla station, was an old gentelman try to go up the down escalator, he tried 3 times before another person and I caught him from falling, and explained to him that the other one went up this one was down. please try the other one. Not sure from how far back in the campo he was from.

ohhhhhhh.....how bitter sweet!

Lindsey

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
One way sign with 2 Amet standing under it watching the cars passing going the wrong way. Every one happy.
Still wonder what you really have to do to get a ticket, as it seems to be at the whim. not that you done anything wrong.

Drive around without the seat belt, talking on the cellphone or without the revista. You will see results right away...

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
Right

Drive around without the seat belt, talking on the cellphone or without the revista. You will see results right away...

Yes those will get a gringo stopped, forget about running the stop sign/light, one way streets, speeding, no lights front or back. these are all ok, yep enforce those traffic laws. JOKE

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i dunno. i mean, once you really LIVE here all those crazy things become... eee... normal...

Reactions: Celt202

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
i dunno. i mean, once you really LIVE here all those crazy things become... eee... normal...

That is SOO true LOL.

My brother and his wife came to visit me and were falling out about things they saw that don't even faze me any more.

"Were there three people on that motorbike?"

"The one where they were carrying a chair?"

"Yes!" :surprised

"That's routine here."