Resort Help? Need to choose!

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Never stayed in a resort in Puerto Plata, have anyone of been to any of these? Thanks!!

Sosua by the Sea Boutique Beach Resort
Luperon Beach Resort - All Inclusive
Allegro Playa Dorada - All Inclusive
Casa Marina Beach & Reef an Amhsa Marina Resort All Inclusive
Celuisma Tropical Playa Dorada - All Inclusive

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
never stayed at any of these mentioned my dear....
I have heard excellent reviews about Sosua by the Sea
Why isn't Oasis Marien listed here? The Puerto Plata location is the nicest of the Oasis properties on the island! :)

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Sousa by the Sea is great but not cheap. Casa Marina is good. depends on what you expect and what you want to spend. Don't know the others.

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Never stayed in a resort in Puerto Plata, have anyone of been to any of these? Thanks!!

Sosua by the Sea Boutique Beach Resort - in Sosua not Puerto Plata - very nice

Luperon Beach Resort - All Inclusive - not in Puerto Plata - a very long drive away from city

Allegro Playa Dorada - All Inclusive - ok, but really a 3 star

Casa Marina Beach & Reef an Amhsa Marina Resort All Inclusive - Sosua , but very nice

Celuisma Tropical Playa Dorada - All Inclusive - terrible resort, run down

If you want to be in Puerto Plata area, the Playa Dorada Resorts would be your best choice. The Blue Bay is one that I would recommend to you.

dragonfly5555

Aug 13, 2008
Celuisma

I stayed here 2 years ago and I was not impressed with the place. I am not a fussy person at all but I probably wouldn't stay here again. The room was very musty and mouldy, the pool was dirty and the entertainment was not good. The telephone did not work the entire time we were there even though we had been promised many times it would be fixed.

I found the time share sellers very very annoying because they just wouldn't take no for an answer and I had never had that happen before. It was the least favourite of all the resorts I have stayed at over the years in Playa Dorado.

On the upside, the food was good, and the staff were friendly.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004

To be honest...I would not even recommend #'s 2 and 3 to my very worst enemy...and that is being nice.

A night in the Fortaleza may be more pleasant.

Cant comment on the others but good luck. Another option you may want to consider is the RIU complex in Maimon. We also saw the newly renovated and re-opened Grand Paradise Playa Dorada and it looks really nice.

santiago2008

Apr 24, 2008

Im dominican and from all those hotels you are asking info the only one i can recomend to you is Sosua by the Sea but it isnt in Puerto Plata.....

if you want to go to a really nice hotel then go to Iberostar or Coral Marien in Costa Dorada ,Puerto Plata..those 2 are the best in the area but at the same time the most expensives .

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
Wow guys, thanks for the feedback! I'll check them out - the packages for these are so cheap, just needed another opinion.

Thanks again...

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
how many people are travelling with you Talldrink? There is a really nice house that folks rent in Sosua with 2 bedrooms which is real nice. It would serve you all well if you had your own means of transport, otherwise you could cab it back and forth to places....also lots of places in Cabarete which are real nice and priced reasonably [just not all inclusive]. What dates are you going?

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Wow guys, thanks for the feedback! I'll check them out - the packages for these are so cheap, just needed another opinion.

Thanks again...

When things are usually very cheap...there is usually a good reason;). Rather pay a bit more and get better quality...and dont put good money after bad.

dragonfly5555

Aug 13, 2008
Gran Ventana

for me too. I have stayed there twice and of all the places I have stayed in Playa Dorado, it was, by far, the best of everything, the cleanest, the best food, very friendly staff, great entertainment!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
TD: Not sure how picky you are and how much you're looking to spend, but from the ones I've stayed at in around PP I would recommend the Riu complex(Three hotels together). They are relatively inexpensive, food is pretty good, beach is decent (beaches around PP are not that great), animation is very good I thought (better than a lot of other more expensive AI's I've been to), you can use the facilities at all three, it's pretty close to PP, On site disco Club, etc...I'm not a huge AI fan, but I did enjoy it quite a bit.

Case Marina was a very good value for the money I thought, but I would pick the Riu over it any time.

I've heard good things about Iberostar, but have never stayed there.