Is there such a thing as ?cruelty to Animals? in the DR?

tomas2

Nov 29, 2005
As I wander into town every morning I usually pass a few packs of wild dogs along the way. I will walk inches from their heads as they lie on the sidewalk sleeping, and they barely look up at me. And then a moto will go by (not all, just very specific ones) and they leap to their feet and chase him down the street. I always wonder what these guys did.

In general, it seems like animals are not treated very well here. From what I have seen, it is normally the Dominicans mistreating them, but I guess I have seen Gringos participating as well. For example, there is a local Ad newspaper that comes out once-a-week here, and every week for the last 3 months I have seen a picture of a very obese white man sitting on a tiny Dominican donkey (I guess he is some sort of real estate agent or something) with the caption ?No worries! The donkey suffered more than I did. LOL!? (I kid you not). Yes, of course the donkey suffered more than him. And that was supposed to be funny? I have seen edgy marketing before, but this one made no sense.

So, I guess my questions are:

1. Is mistreating animals such the norm here that it is funny for people to abuse them?
  2. What should you do when you see a situation where an animal is being mistreated? Should you stop and say something, or should you keep walking?

Sep 19, 2005
the dominican replublic isnt Westport CT!!!!...

why does everyone want the DR to be like where they used to live???

if you go there and you see something you dont like...just get used to it....

everyone else( residents) is fitting in and they all live like that and accept it...why cant the visitors accept things...what ever they are, that are different..

the world is full of places that have "their own ways"....

bad bad bob

Nov 25, 2008
I guess mistreating animals is not mistreating......its just like kicking a can on the streets in the US, we may find it despicable but its "normal" in the DR [except for us with conscience.
If you see something and you scold the person normally they will look at you funny and stop.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would say that most people here have pretty normal approach when it comes to animals. i get upset seeing homeless dogs on the streets but they are not really homeless - they have some folks who support them occasionally with leftovers.
sight of skinny dogs in a barrio may be shocking but remember that people who live in barrios struggle themselves.
every friday i buy a bag of bones in jose luis (50 pesos) and i cook then with a pound or two of cheap rice from local colmado (18 pesos a pound). this gives a huge pot full of food that lasts few days.
you would be surprised to find out that few local people came to me saying i am doing a good job and thanking me for feeding those poor bastards.
of course you will get people who will kick or hit animals and most certainly poor dominicans will not easily part with money needed to sterilize animals - but if dog/cat is sick, they will take it to the vet.
cats are slightly different story because they are standard employees - pest control. you will see cats in most restaurants, shops and warehouses, they work there.

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
cats are slightly different story because they are standard employees - pest control. you will see cats in most restaurants, shops and warehouses, they work there.

Hmmm.....I think our cat missed that memo! He's rather certain that WE are HIS employees!! ;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Hmmm.....I think our cat missed that memo! He's rather certain that WE are HIS employees!! ;)

a dog thinks: those people feed me, pet me, take care of me. they must be gods!
a cat thinks: those people feed me, pet me, take care of me. i must be god!
:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
seriously - how many times you have seen a homeless cat in DR? cats seem to be way better organized in picking up fools to take car of them :cheeky:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Its about priorities, kind of like the way you get the women and children off of a sinking ship first, there are alot of abuses that need to stop in the DR, and the animals are going to be last in line.

Bayx-**

May 30, 2008
Is heart breaking to see an animal being abuse, but is even worse to see a child being abuse by a public official.

Bayx

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
animal abuse is from ignorance and/or lack of education, same goes for throwing trash all over the place, crime, and even though this isn't westport i still don't have to accept it as if it were, "OK in the DR", to behave like an idiot...............

b.batista

Feb 21, 2008
Sickening

animal abuse is from ignorance and/or lack of education, same goes for throwing trash all over the place, crime, and even though this isn't westport i still don't have to accept it as if it were, "OK in the DR", to behave like an idiot...............
This is true and expecially applies to foreigners that should know better. The case of that fatso riding the donkey is a prime example of how a gringo can move here and pick up local bad habits. I saw that foto of him on that little donkey and it was pitiful. That man is heartless and cruel.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
now thats what I call cruel

Maddie-In-Dress-and-Visor.jpg