Hotel Garant

skymall

Feb 11, 2003
I've just returned from spending a couple of nights in Boca Chica at Hotel Garant. I got advice from some folks here (most suggested Candil), but I chose Garant because it was a little closer to the beach, and every report I read about the place commented on how clean it was. Also, since I was traveling with a small child, I was concerned about going up and down that hill to Candil.

I was not disappointed at all, the Garant was very clean just as reported. I paid $50 per night for a regular room with AC. There is a little pool that is very nice, too. My daughter really enjoyed the pool. We also walked to the beach, which was nice because she got to play with the other kids (no other kids at the hotel). As someone else said, it's certainly not the nicest beach in the Caribbean, but the water was calm and warm and if you want for anything, just wait a minute and someone will be walking by selling it.

I was looking for some good Dominican food on Duarte (forgot to investigate that before I left), but couldn't find anyplace that looked great. We ended up eating mostly at Toucan (sp?). The food was really good, nice staff, great service, and good prices. My daughter and I shared a big plate of pasta with meat sauce for 130 pesos, roughly $4 US.

One time walking back to the hotel, we were stopped by some kind of police officer in a military type uniform who asked me a bunch of questions about my daughter. I'm not sure what his deal was, he wasn't being friendly, but he didn't ask me for any documents either. My daughter's father is Dominican, I'm white, and she definitely looks Dominican. I don't know if this was the reason, but it was just odd.

As far as the prostitutes, this really doesn't bother me and my daughter is 2 and too young to know what's going on or ask any questions. So, that really wasn't an issue for me.

I'm sure I'll be back to Boca Chica and other parts of the island soon! Thanks again for the help of this board. :)

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
great report!

I am sorry about your run with the cop tho. I've found it best NOT to speak any spanish when dealing with police.

As you pointed out...there are nicer beaches etc...but B.C. is certainly family friendly. I always love watching the tourist kids playing with the dominican kids. Language is no barrier for them. Especially at 2 i can imagine that you daughter had a great time playing with the other kids

I hope you took my advise and hung out on the west side of the beach away from the hamaca. I just find it less crowded...and there would be more opportunities for your child to play with other kids.

Sounds like you had a nice few days. Hope you swung by Candil tho to check the place out. I will check out the garant while i am there next week.

Oh..let us know about food next time you are going. The choices are limited in B.C. (its a small town)...but there is some decent food to be had. Fernandos has many options for the kids and decent dominican food for the adults.

Sounds like you had a great time tho! YEAH!!!!

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
very nice report. it's good to hear some positive things about Boca Chica.

LauraP

Jan 10, 2005
Thanks for the report. Glad all went well for you!

As Kyle said, it's great hearing good things about Boca Chica.

Leaving for BC March 8th and SO can't wait to get there!

Thanks again!

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
Thanks for the report. Glad all went well for you!

As Kyle said, it's great hearing good things about Boca Chica.

Leaving for BC March 8th and SO can't wait to get there!

Thanks again!

arg...laura...i return to NYC on the 6th! there are going to be some DR1'r there when you are there tho. The last bunch left today i think.

Aye...less than a week for me!!!

dukes1963

Jan 3, 2007
As mentioned above Toucan Restaurant is really good and reasonable priced. Service is way above average for BC. They also have a Bakery with great fresh breads