Cable car - Puerto Plata

B

Bob Morris

DR1 reported at the beginning of the year that the new President was to participate in the reopening of the cable car. It seems to me that a later report indicated that it was closed again. Anybody with current information on this? It has been advertised as one of the tours each year we have been down - but reported as not available. We'll be back in Feb. 2001 and I would like to take a ride. I was given to understand that there is a garden area at the top, is this the case?

Thanks in advance
Bob

E

ECH, M.D.

Re: Cable car - Puerto Plata OPEN

I used the cable car two weeks ago and it was very pleasant. Fee was 100 pesos for adults and 50 pesos for children. On top is a gift shop and restaurant ( a little pricey for what you get but they are the only game in town) and the view is spectacular of the Puerto Plata city and harbor. Well worth the price.

E

Eric

Not only is the visit worth because the gift shop and the view of town, but like you mentioned, there is a garden on the top.
The whole place is a national park and is decently maintained.
You'll notice a change in temperature of maybe 15 or 20 degrees from the base to the top. The view from the ride is breath taking.

E

ECH, M.D.

Oh yes, forgot about the drop in temperature. Depending on the time of day....early morning or late evening one might want a light jacket or sweater. Mid day, it is just comfortable!

L

Lynda

Take a taxi - not a tour

Go to the cable car on a day when you can see the top of the mountain. Go early before the clouds roll in. Take a taxi. A pre-booked tour could end up on a cloudy day and then you won't be able to see the great view from the top.

D

Dano

Re: Take a taxi - not a tour

I"ll be at the Hacienda resort and my question is" Can I get to it from there and how far is it and the duration of the tour and the cost in peso's or cdn funds......Thank you.....Dano

L

Lynda

Fee was 100 pesos for adults and 50 pesos
for children. On top is a gift shop and restaurant ( a little pricey for what you get but they are the only
game in town) and the view is spectacular of the Puerto Plata city and harbor. Well worth the price. 5 minutes from your resort. I will be leaving your hotel the day you arrive.

N

NewT

I'll never forget being stuck in that cable car

It was 1990 and a power outage kept me and five or six other people up there in the sun for nearly three hours. Thank goodness I had fresh water in my backpack. At least we had extra time to enjoy the view.

D

Dano

Thanks Lynda............how long can you stay up there how is the view?..............Dano

D

Dano

Re: I'll never forget being stuck in that cable ca

How was the view from there? Dano