Catching the elevator

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
So the other day I was with a pretty girl, waiting for the elevator in a building where she has worked for several years. We were going up, so I pushed the "up" button.

The pretty girl then pushed the "down" button. I asked her why. She told me "thats so the elevator knows to come down to us".

:)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
For people like her, there is this sign in pakistan:
n649721122_1907722_3659.jpg

Reactions: Celt202

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
I've tried explaing the way elevators work to Dominican friends and in spite of all evidence, no one believes me! At my gym, supposedly serving the elite of SDQ, there is constant confusion caused by people pressing the UP key while trying to go DOWN to the parking garage. The elevator will be going up and people will press a lower floor- then become outraged when the elevator continues to go up.

Reactions: Celt202

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Same here, there is no way to make them understand how it works. I guess for Dominicans the tedium of waiting outweighs the claustrophobia of spending extra time in an elevator going the wrong way. Or else they just really like it in there.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I've tried explaing the way elevators work to Dominican friends and in spite of all evidence, no one believes me! At my gym, supposedly serving the elite of SDQ, there is constant confusion caused by people pressing the UP key while trying to go DOWN to the parking garage. The elevator will be going up and people will press a lower floor- then become outraged when the elevator continues to go up.

That is so funny. I've gotten on elvators and pressed a button for a higher floor and gotten dirty looks from people who got on ahead of me and pressed a button for a lower floor when the elevator doors closed and the elevator continued up.

I flash an evil Gringo grin. :cheeky:

Last edited:

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
That is so funny. I've gotten on elvators and pressed a button for a higher floor and gotten dirty looks from people who got on ahead of me and pressed a button for a lower floor when the elevator doors closed and the elevator continued up.

Thats pretty interesting. I've had exactly the same thing happen and never understood why people got annoyed in that situation.

I think this same level of intellect applies to using ATMs as well.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
To be fair, most of us come from cultures where the elevator (or lift as we Brits call it ;) ) has a 150 year history. So as children we assimilated what our parents (& they from their parents) knew about how they worked. I somehow feel elevators are a bit more recent here..........

Similar is how many young people brought up on electricity would know what to do in a gas powered home, how to light a gas mantle for example.