Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Sosua - Power is out!

Just received these photos and info from one of our readers.

Apparently most of Sosua is without power due to a mini bus hitting a main power line. The diver lost control of his mini bus at about 2am last night and was unable to control the vehicle after a bend in the road due to excessive speed which can be seen in the following pictures.

I also heard from another source, nobody was hurt???
    That looked like a pretty serious crash to me!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

power went off about that time in cabarete.

about 2pm when i drove by today looked like new pole was in place & they were reattaching lines

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I also heard from another source, nobody was hurt???
    This report is saying driver & 2 passengers were seriously hurt & now hospitalised.
    Puerto Plata Digital

More pics here (some blood evidence inside vehicle, not that that necessarily means much).
    Pagina nueva 2

The 3 American lads were apparently staying in Haciendas El Choco.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I know the family of these boys and I have just returned from visiting them all. Here is an update. Two of the boys were released with superficial injuries, one had his face and ear injuried that required numerous stitches. The second had his collarbone bone broken which was operated on and has had some metal pins inserted. The third boy, the driver, was seriously injured and had life threatening injuries. He lost his spleen, punctured one of his kidneys and lost part of his liver. His right leg was shattered in numerous places and his left kneecap was broken. Several ribs were broken, he had two fractures on his scull and his face was disfigured. He had a total of 500 stitches, 100 of those to his face. He is very fortunate to be alive. One of the doctors walked past the family with parts of his organs on a silver tray!!
    The locatation where the accident took place is notorious for accidents as people take that corner way too fast, as was the case with these three boys. It is a very unfortunate event but thankfully with what looks like a happy ending. As soon as he is stable enough he will be transfered back to New York where he will recieve further medical attention. The family expressed that the doctors involved, sorry, I can't remember any names, were extremely professional and did everything they could to assist the family. The head doctor spoke perfect English and made himself available to the family to answer any questions....
    At the end of the day it was a silly mistake, one they will never forget, but hopefully will learn from it.
    He is still in critical condition but he is stable.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Silly mistake? Seriously...

Quote Originally Posted by tee View Post
    At the end of the day it was a silly mistake, one they will never forget, but hopefully will learn from it.
    He is still in critical condition but he is stable.
    What if this stupid, irresponsible driver had lost control in a right curve instead, which he probably just as well might have, and hit a vehicle in the opposite lane, likely to maim or even kill innocent people? Would you still have called it a silly mistake? His luck was better than his wits, as we say in my neck of the woods.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have never been in an accident in your life you can throw stones like that but most of us have managed to mess up some time in our lives. Also, as anyone doing any driving in the D.R. knows, the odds are huge that the boys could have been cut off by another driver passing another vehicle there despite the double lines and curves in the area.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paulino View Post
    What if this stupid, irresponsible driver had lost control in a right curve instead, which he probably just as well might have, and hit a vehicle in the opposite lane, likely to maim or even kill innocent people? Would you still have called it a silly mistake? His luck was better than his wits, as we say in my neck of the woods.
    Drinking and driving don't mix.

Neither do drinking and posting.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll take it that you are an expert on both. I don't see anywhere that drinking was involved in the accident although the odds are good considering the place and time.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Some of you people need to get a life! Accidents happen, in everyones neck of the woods.

I have driven on that stretch of road hundreds of times and that bend is not a nice one, add in the night and little rain and you have an accident hotspot.

Let's hope the driver makes a full recovery.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone hit what looks like that same pole last summer and we had no electric for 24 hours

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast