Sosua - Power is out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Just received these photos and info from one of our readers.

Apparently most of Sosua is without power due to a mini bus hitting a main power line. The diver lost control of his mini bus at about 2am last night and was unable to control the vehicle after a bend in the road due to excessive speed which can be seen in the following pictures.

I also heard from another source, nobody was hurt???
That looked like a pretty serious crash to me!

sosua_power_1.jpg

sosua_power_2.jpg

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
power went off about that time in cabarete.

about 2pm when i drove by today looked like new pole was in place & they were reattaching lines

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I know the family of these boys and I have just returned from visiting them all. Here is an update. Two of the boys were released with superficial injuries, one had his face and ear injuried that required numerous stitches. The second had his collarbone bone broken which was operated on and has had some metal pins inserted. The third boy, the driver, was seriously injured and had life threatening injuries. He lost his spleen, punctured one of his kidneys and lost part of his liver. His right leg was shattered in numerous places and his left kneecap was broken. Several ribs were broken, he had two fractures on his scull and his face was disfigured. He had a total of 500 stitches, 100 of those to his face. He is very fortunate to be alive. One of the doctors walked past the family with parts of his organs on a silver tray!!
The locatation where the accident took place is notorious for accidents as people take that corner way too fast, as was the case with these three boys. It is a very unfortunate event but thankfully with what looks like a happy ending. As soon as he is stable enough he will be transfered back to New York where he will recieve further medical attention. The family expressed that the doctors involved, sorry, I can't remember any names, were extremely professional and did everything they could to assist the family. The head doctor spoke perfect English and made himself available to the family to answer any questions....
At the end of the day it was a silly mistake, one they will never forget, but hopefully will learn from it.
He is still in critical condition but he is stable.

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
Silly mistake? Seriously...

At the end of the day it was a silly mistake, one they will never forget, but hopefully will learn from it.
He is still in critical condition but he is stable.

What if this stupid, irresponsible driver had lost control in a right curve instead, which he probably just as well might have, and hit a vehicle in the opposite lane, likely to maim or even kill innocent people? Would you still have called it a silly mistake? His luck was better than his wits, as we say in my neck of the woods.

Reactions: Rocky

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
If you have never been in an accident in your life you can throw stones like that but most of us have managed to mess up some time in our lives. Also, as anyone doing any driving in the D.R. knows, the odds are huge that the boys could have been cut off by another driver passing another vehicle there despite the double lines and curves in the area.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
What if this stupid, irresponsible driver had lost control in a right curve instead, which he probably just as well might have, and hit a vehicle in the opposite lane, likely to maim or even kill innocent people? Would you still have called it a silly mistake? His luck was better than his wits, as we say in my neck of the woods.

Drinking and driving don't mix.

Neither do drinking and posting. :tired:

bakersindr

Jan 2, 2008
members.shaw.ca
I'll take it that you are an expert on both. I don't see anywhere that drinking was involved in the accident although the odds are good considering the place and time.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Some of you people need to get a life! Accidents happen, in everyones neck of the woods.

I have driven on that stretch of road hundreds of times and that bend is not a nice one, add in the night and little rain and you have an accident hotspot.

Let's hope the driver makes a full recovery.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Someone hit what looks like that same pole last summer and we had no electric for 24 hours

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

What do you know about that accident that we don't to speak like that ??

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Some of you people need to get a life! Accidents happen, in everyones neck of the woods.

I have driven on that stretch of road hundreds of times and that bend is not a nice one, add in the night and little rain and you have an accident hotspot.

Let's hope the driver makes a full recovery.

And to drive in the D.R.

I still believe that the airbags have not been replaced after a previous accident or have been disconnected

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
One more thing that I forgot to mention, the boys were also robbed whilst they were lying on the ground and the other trapped in the car...their phones were stolen inlcuding Iphones, a gold chain, money etc....the usual discracefull animals taking advantage of a terrible situation.

May 5, 2007
Air BAgs

And to drive in the D.R.

I still believe that the airbags have not been replaced after a previous accident or have been disconnected

Lets assume you are probably correct about the air bags. How would that have affected the power being out in Sosua? Would the air bags somehow have lessened the impact to the utility pole?

Seeing my sarcastic comment about "not being a severe impact" brought the wrath of la Mariposa down on me, please explain what air bags have to do with vehicles knocking down utility poles

I still think the Easter Bunny should be an Easter Chicken as it hides eggs

b.batista

Feb 21, 2008
One more thing that I forgot to mention, the boys were also robbed whilst they were lying on the ground and the other trapped in the car...their phones were stolen inlcuding Iphones, a gold chain, money etc....the usual discracefull animals taking advantage of a terrible situation.
This is sadly a common occurence to rob the down and defenseless. I have seen one stealing the battery and one stealing the radio and the other going through the victim's pockets while he lay there seriously injured.
Mr. Paulino has a point that makes sense. If a person decides to drive too fast late at night while intoxicated and he has an accident then it is wonderful that he only hurt himself and not some innocent citizens who had nothing to do with his bad decision process. If a person is willing to risk his life he should not take others with him.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If a person decides to drive too fast late at night while intoxicated and he has an accident then it is wonderful that he only hurt himself and not some innocent citizens who had nothing to do with his bad decision process. If a person is willing to risk his life he should not take others with him.

What speed did the accident happen?
Was the driver intoxicated?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
we should tidy this thread to factual comments - it would be rather short but all the better for it

james

Jan 14, 2002
According to an acquaintance of the 3 young fellows and their parents the rented mini bus was only 4 to 5 months old and in good condition.... whether it was equipped with airbags they do not know but certainly none were deployed.
Considering this then it is very lucky that they will all survive this vacation. Hopefully a rather big lesson will be learned especially by the driver. (the most severely injured)

I also believe it was this same location that the post was wiped out last year.

That is a strange curve. It is an illusion...it appears to be a very soft curve but when driving through it you realize it requires more turning effort that you would think. (especially at night)

Status
Not open for further replies.