saving money on phone calls

the canadian guy

Apr 17, 2008
as a newbie to the site i hope i have the right area to post this.i am a canadian married to a beautiful dominican woman. as we are in the course of immigration paperwork,we need to speak to each other at least 4 times a week. i dont know if this will help anybody, but i use phone cards bought at alittle variety store near my home. i pay $2.50 per card,and can speak for an hour at a time. as i said,i am new at this but thought i might be able to help some of you,and i read dr1 everyday and have never read anything on phone costs. hope it helps thanks

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
1 hour for $2:50 is about average when talking to a landline, 30-35 minutes when talking to a cellular. Bell charges $0.17 so if you are $10 PER WEEK OR SO ISN'T VERY MUCH, $50 per month.

Use the search button. There are a number of threads about phone costs from Canada.

laurar

Jun 19, 2008
I use a great company called "Startec" if you sign up they will be your main long distance provider - 4.9 cents a minute of a landline/11.9 cents to a cell, they give you an access number so that you can use your cell phone and get the same rates, I have been extrememly happy with them as sometimes I would use phone cards and had trouble getting through at times here is the link

Startec Global Communications - International Long Distance from your Cell or Home Phone

ElvisNYC

Jan 27, 2006
I think skype has a number for DR. Just do search.. It might help you ! It would be categorized as skypeout