Moving To DR In 90 Days

BelindaCooperstone

Feb 20, 2009
I purchased a business in Cabarete and I am wanting a good area to purchase a house with land. I have no idea where to buy a home in a good location, I am planning on staying at a resort until I purchase a home. I just want to know where a good area is to start my search. I have a high budget to buy my home so I don't want to look where it is less desirable. Any help would be great as it would take some stress off of the move.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
With respect Belinda, might I not answer your question? Please take your time and rent first. That will give you plenty of time to do your reseach feet on the ground. Research into good locations, good lawyers, no title issues etc etc and find locations you feel happy with. Might I also respectfully suggest you don't advertise the fact that you have a high end budget? Not wise here. You might get PMs from people 'who have just the right spot'. If you're planning to start a business at the same time, you'll find that that of itself provides sufficient stress for you. You don't want to overload it by adding the house purchase issue. Wish you well.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
ditto

With respect Belinda, might I not answer your question? Please take your time and rent first. That will give you plenty of time to do your reseach feet on the ground. Research into good locations, good lawyers, no title issues etc etc and find locations you feel happy with. Might I also respectfully suggest you don't advertise the fact that you have a high end budget? Not wise here. You might get PMs from people 'who have just the right spot'. If you're planning to start a business at the same time, you'll find that that of itself provides sufficient stress for you. You don't want to overload it by adding the house purchase issue. Wish you well.

what the Chief said.

BelindaCooperstone

Feb 20, 2009
Ok I respect your replies, and thank you for the advice. I just wanted it to be known that I am not the average person wanting to live in DR but has a limited budget. If renting first is the advice then where should I start? Like I said I plan on staying at a resort, The business is paid for so that is not a stressor for me. I have a very good lawyer one I trust and have used before so that is not an issue. Finding a place is. Help me here. Where do I go?

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

She said she purchased a business in Cabarete. I don't understand how people can buy a business in another country without knowing nothing or almost nothing about that country.

Ay Dios mio ayudala

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Ok I respect your replies, and thank you for the advice. I just wanted it to be known that I am not the average person wanting to live in DR but has a limited budget. If renting first is the advice then where should I start? Like I said I plan on staying at a resort, The business is paid for so that is not a stressor for me. I have a very good lawyer one I trust and have used before so that is not an issue. Finding a place is. Help me here. Where do I go?

Ask your lawyer

BelindaCooperstone

Feb 20, 2009
La Mariposa, Where in my post have you seen I know nothing about the Country? I have been coming here since I am 14yrs old. I am simply asking for advice on purchasing a home in a good location. When I came here it was at resorts. Sorry if I do not know the great economic stature of the country, so I am to assume you were born and raised here?

Also on the ask my Lawyer comment I have! and he has told me from what he has heard, I want locals points of view. Do I sense a bit of hostility here?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I just wanted it to be known that I am not the average person wanting to live in DR but has a limited budget.

Understood but can you try to lose this idea? Expats who are really wealthy here expend considerable effort not to show it. It serves you best in the longterm.

As to rentals have a look here:
Dominican Republic Rentals

Go to the RE forum & find Curt's email address & email him, & do a search for recommended RE companies who cover rentals. The search function is at the top of the page in the blue bar.

Do I take it from your comment above that your lawyer doesn't live here? Personally I wouldn't use a lawyer for rental recommendations - I'd use expats who have lived here a while. That's why I suggested using the board's search function to find those names which keep coming up.

Last edited:

BelindaCooperstone

Feb 20, 2009
Understood but can you try to lose this idea? Expats who are really wealthy here expend considerable effort not to show it. It serves you best in the longterm.
Perhaps there should be a warning at the top of the page then? So people with no money it is ok to post here? What about ones who want to contribute to DR's economy? Is that frowned upon?

It is not like I am giving my name, address, and SIN number, so I have no idea about the secrecy, The amount of PM's I received is crazy.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Oh dear, I'm obviously not making myself clear. What I'm trying to say is, it is better not to flaunt/show/demonstrate wealth because there are always people wanting to take advantage. That is true of life in the DR & it is true of public message boards. Is that clearer?

Are you seriously saying you received a lot of PMs on a post which has only been up a couple of hours? Don't delete them, Belinda. Robert, who is the webmaster might be interested.

b.batista

Feb 21, 2008
The amount of PM's I received is crazy.
That is the most dangerous area. Watch out for fast talking con artists. Good information can be posted right here for all to see. PMs are sometimes used to warn others of dangers or dangerous people and that is good but if someone is selling a product or service and does it in private then it is suspicious and most likely no good.

BelindaCooperstone

Feb 20, 2009
Oh dear, I'm obviously not making myself clear. What I'm trying to say is, it is better not to flaunt/show/demonstrate wealth because there are always people wanting to take advantage. That is true of life in the DR & it is true of public message boards. Is that clearer? Are you insinuating that I am a fool and can not tell the difference of someone scamming me or not? If so I am amazed how I got this far in a successful business.

I am seriously saying I received PM"s with interest. Have Robert PM me, maybe I can help?

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
La Mariposa, Where in my post have you seen I know nothing about the Country? I have been coming here since I am 14yrs old. I am simply asking for advice on purchasing a home in a good location. When I came here it was at resorts. Sorry if I do not know the great economic stature of the country, so I am to assume you were born and raised here?

Also on the ask my Lawyer comment I have! and he has told me from what he has heard, I want locals points of view. Do I sense a bit of hostility here?

And how old are you now ?? 20 since you don't know yet about the good and the bad locations.

latka

Feb 13, 2009
Perhaps if you'd take the advice you are being given with more than the proverbial grain of salt... or at least, pretend to do so...

Reactions: Rocky

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
I don't get it. How many years have you been coming to the DR?
Yet you don't know the area you bought the business in nor do you know of some good areas to live in. And you only stayed on resorts? Boy oh boy, are you in for some serious adventures.

Try not to get defensive since many people on this forum live and experience the true dominican life every single day. And they only want to guide you.

Perhaps you should give your requirements as to what you are looking for (ie. # of bedrooms, gated or non gated community, etc). And seriously, don't even mention money. You'll only set yourself up for lots of potential issues (including robberies or worse). Cabarete isn't that big and it would be easy to find that new business opening up in 90 days (or so). Protect yourself a bit better.

Best of luck...from a fellow Canadian...who has been back and forth to the DR for the past 9 years...who has gained much experience by throwing myself amongst the locals. :)

believer

Oct 12, 2005
nice areas

Hi ....sorry for all of the other people on this board, I find them either cynical or over protective alot of the time.

I think Lomas Mironas (as it is 1/2 way between sosua and cabarete and a nice quiet gated community.... and pretty) is a good bet, though if you can afford it why not Sea Horse Ranch...it is very very beautiful but high high end. A friend lives in the Lomas Miranos area and has a house on the market that she designed and build herself with its own pool a very large gated yard and garden with several fruit trees for around 300,000 or so. Cabarete is kind of over priced. There are better rentals than a resort for your looking time.....my penthouse here is costing me $600 a month with a view and a pool and gated and safe and relatively quiet. There are others available in this building for $300 and $500 in Sosua.

That's all I can offer. I didn't think you were "flaunting" anything myself, its not like you are walking down the street covered in high end gold jewelry, just being factual in what appears to be a safe and welcoming on line community.

Peace and good luck....for any specifics PM me.

Reactions: mountainannie

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Knowing nothing

If you have only stayed at resorts, you have not been to the Dominican Republic, you have been to resorts. You could just as easily have been to Cancun and think that you know Mexico.

You have purchased a business in a town in which you do not even know which are the best neighborhoods which is hard to believe since one can find the best neighborhoods in any town within a few hours driving about. When you were buying the business which you saw (oh please say that you did indeed go to inspect it), didn't you just have the normal curiousity (now why is the spell check on that word?and where is the spell check function here?) to drive around town?

You appear to have a lawyer who is not local. Is he at least Dominican? (say yes, please!)

Be frightened. You have already made three very big blunders.The hostility that you are picking up is not hostility but empathetic fear.

and another one, and another one, and another one bites the dust

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
wow,
sounds like bloody sat on the northshore.
guys, even that i agree on above given advices, the OP is not asking for 'em.
the business of what ever kind and in what ever 'hood is purchased.
the OP can afford to enjoy the service of a resort while looking on properties/house to purchase.
but only one post started to answer the question:
where in the Cabarete area are good 'hoods to live safe and purchase a house there?
somebody has some names/addresses to recommend by own experinece?

sure i would not buy a business or house in a area/country where i know only resorts.
but that's done.
that point is over.
now it is to find a recommendable neighbourhood for the house.
happy weekend
Mike

Reactions: mountainannie