what is the best travelers medical insurance?

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
does anyone know how or where to obtain the best travelers medical coverage in the dr. I have my insurance in the dr. but i have a lot of friends that vacation here and have no coverage here, and it was my nieces friends that were involved in that bad accident in puerta plata.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Would they not obtain their travel insurance policies in their country of origin for coverage abroad? That is always how I have done it and I am not aware of one being able to purchase it at their point of destination.

It would not be valid if purchased after the accident unfortunately. Sorry to hear about the accident.

bubba153

Jan 24, 2009
I use the policy from travelex.com. i have been buying the policy for many years and unfortunately in june i needed to use it when i dislocated and broke 4 bones in my wrist. they paid for everything while i was on the island and my US based provider paid for the treatment in the US.
You basically submit the bills you incurred on vacation and they reimburse you. you will need a doctors letter describing your injury while on vacation
Wayne

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I've used Access America a few times, but I never had to file a claim with them or ever heard anything negative about the company. I usually pay around $20 a trip, which includes several things including $50,000 (emergency medical transportation) $10,000 (medical & dental) and trip delay plus cancellation. I believe they also offer rental car collision coverage.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
does anyone know how or where to obtain the best travelers medical coverage in the dr. I have my insurance in the dr. but i have a lot of friends that vacation here and have no coverage here, and it was my nieces friends that were involved in that bad accident in puerta plata.

Sorry about your friends nieces.

I know some people vacationing in the D.R. or other countries have medical coverage without knowing it. A lot have medical insurance from their job that include the medical travel insurance and it usually covers the children even if they are major of age as long as they are still studying and not 25 years old. Of course we have to read the policy who like it though ??

Those that have medical insurance at work do you a favor, READ THE POLICY

I admit that many years ago I was paying a medical coverage when travelling while my insurance at work was covering it. Well one day I decided to read the policy and surprise I was covered when travelling. Now I am retired and my retired medical plan includes medical travel coverage.

Last edited:

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
You need to check with your insurance company where ever you live. Some do include coverage abroad, others don't.
Blue Cross/Blue Shield plan covers you anywhere, but you pay for it.

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I've used Access America a few times, but I never had to file a claim with them or ever heard anything negative about the company. I usually pay around $20 a trip, which includes several things including $50,000 (emergency medical transportation) $10,000 (medical & dental) and trip delay plus cancellation. I believe they also offer rental car collision coverage.

Ricardo900.... Can I get their web-page or phone number, please?

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
this does not answer the OP's question....but i got really sick on my last trip to the D.R. (intestinal infection from some bad lambi). To make a long story short I was amazed...the place i was staying at got me a doctor quite promptly. The doctor made TWO house calls, gave me two injections and gave me 6 perscriptions. The whole bill (without insurance) came to about 50 USD.

If i have had the same ailment here it would have cost over 100 USD even with insurance.

Ok...so no advice here. I just was impressed with the doctor...and he had me fixed up in two days.