Cabarete Visitors Beware!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
This is actually for all visitors. We have had the last two renters in our condo (one last week and one last night) run into the "chica pickpocket patrol" on Cabarete beach. Both were accosted by the women and lo and behold minutes later noticed their back pockets were empty.
The guests from last week actually filled out a police report and the cop interviewing them actually discribed the women to our renters. They knew them, but nothing was obviously done about it.

So a word of caution:
Do not carry your wallet if you can avoid it (if not carry it in your front pocket)
Carry only the cash you will need for that night
Do not carry credit cards, drivers lic, passport, social securtiy cards etc. You really dont need them (carry a copy of your passport or lic if you want).
Beware of the roaming hands of the chicas especially if you are still dressed.

Bob K

Last edited:

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
Bad reputation ??

Just another "drawback" for north coast visitors. Every day you hear of something new and something you don't want to hear about either someone getting killed, raped, mugged, robbed, car hyjacked, home invasions, or just the general corruptness involving the government or police. It's all here on DR 1.....
The numbers are on the rise and with the bad economy worldwide, things will only get worst before they get better here or in any third world country. If things continue the way its been, it will end up a slow self destruction of the tourism industry, due to less travelers and better location options without all the hastles and b/s to deal with. Too much bad publicity here on the forums and in the newspapers,and as usuall the information is not always accurate.
Not being negative, just what I have observed over the past several years, and not just in the DR.
Also have traveled the country for 12 years, you'd have to be blindsighted as not to notice the difference compared to the past...

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
the same things happen in most mass tourist holiday destinations- I challenge you to name one where it doesnt

I couldn't agree more!! However much pain that brings me to say ;)

1000's of Americans go to Cancun, now that's a place with a really low crime rate :)

It's not just the DR, it's the world over. A little common sense goes a long way.........

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004

1000's of Americans go to Cancun, now that's a place with a really low crime rate :)

It's not just the DR, it's the world over. A little common sense goes a long way.........

Count me in too for agreeing on that one!

Only problem with common sense.....its not all that common!;)

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
Best of the Bad

Not referring to either mass tourism, or holiday destinations, let's call it a general observation of the country itself over the past years compared to others I've traveled to. I walk down the streets at night where I live, not having to watch by back or have to worry about making it home safe at night, or getting robbed...... Pretty basic.
I also have property in the DR that I lived in before renting out, not a gringo tourist, and not anti DR.....again just an observation.
No thanks on the "challenge" junior, just my own view and reply to the OP.
Have a nice day

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
Good point drloca.....seems to be something that alot of travelers are lacking.
As far as Cancun goes, no thanks, it was nice in 1976 when only 3 or 4 hotels exsisted on the strip, and no springbreakers,however MX is a great counrty to travel and visit with great people, and like anywhere is not exempt from it's problems.....
but overall would have to call it safer in comparison.

Keiser777

Feb 18, 2008
the palce

go to Cuba- no crime, no extortive police corruption, and educated people, not those Sosua low lifes (I mean all Haitian hookers, etc.)

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
Cancun??

Robert....I may also add that there are better "worst" locations that Cancun. Cancun is all Americans in a non Mexican run strip that's all A/I's......kinda like saying PC has a higher crime rate compared to the rest of the country???
Now if you had picked Honduras, Costa Rica or even Haiti....that could make a liitle more sence....apples amd apples, not apples and oranges.....
Your first and last sentence....I agree

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
go to Cuba- no crime, no extortive police corruption, and educated people, not those Sosua low lifes (I mean all Haitian hookers, etc.)

There is no direct flights yet!!!!!!!! Via Canada or Mexico or Bahamas - it takes in total up to twelve hours travel easy! Longer than to Rio or to Margarita. :surprised

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
Keiser.....been to Cuba,no crime, false, corupt police, false again, educated people, very true. Not bad, you're 1 for 3
Only one small difference...Cuba is Communist, the DR a Democracy...supposedly.
Hookers in Sosua? I think they are running a contest with the girls in Caberete and Boca!! lol
Peace.

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
AK, the only place with no direct flights is the good ol US due to the president at the time in the early 60's putting the crazy embargo/trade act in effect. Direct flights from Montego Bay, Cancun, and used to be able to travel from Canada, unless something has recently changed??
Great country, supposedly Obama is lifting the travel restriction part for US citizens, but not the more important trade issue which has cost the country millions every year....

rugby.1

Feb 11, 2009
dropped plans

i'm coming down to sosua this thursday. had 3 friends coming along. as the news mounted up the last couple of weeks, they dropped out one by one. coming down alone now!!!!rugby.1

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
Canadian?

Rugby....exactly my point, thank you for confirming what I'm trying to get across here. Don't know if you're from Canada, but just read an interesting article rea Canadian travel. It's well know that most countries tourism boards dictate or control where one travels, or trys to with lowering airfares, and package deals for certain destinations. It is also well known that there are many expats from Canada, and it was considered a choice destination for Canadian travelers in the past decade.
Well not anymore....seems the new hot spot of all places is Mexico, not saying it will be any safer for their travelers, but either way is "fact"
Thanks to all of the attention of recent problems on the rise.....
Kind of like cutting off your nose despite your face.

If you. I would go anyway, and have a good time...or try to.
A little common sence goes a long way, as long as you are aware.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
the hot spot is usually somewhere different every couple of years isnt it - it was thailand at one time....it will probably be india after the oscars

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
depends what you mean by safe lol ......the waves are killers in Hawaii and I had my rucksack with passports/credit cards and money stolen in Australia. Its usually a combination of letting your guard down and being in the wrong place at the wrong time in most cases - im suprised there arent MORE bag snatchers here the way some tourists walk around

...why are you calling me junior by the way lol

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Safety is not something that anyone can guarantee anywhere in the world. There may be recommendations and guidelines but it really does boil down to exercising the same caution one would at home, in conjunction with using common sense and being street smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.