money use in sosua--how???

rugby.1

Feb 11, 2009
i've been reading all i can- but with 4 days till i leave i'm not going to teach myself spanish. no sense kidding myself. if i was computer literate i could probably find old listings explaining this--- how do i handle my money. i know not to use us currency, but i don't want to hold out my money and simply ask how much. -any hints would be appreciated-rugby

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
i've been reading all i can- but with 4 days till i leave i'm not going to teach myself spanish. no sense kidding myself. if i was computer literate i could probably find old listings explaining this--- how do i handle my money. i know not to use us currency, but i don't want to hold out my money and simply ask how much. -any hints would be appreciated-rugby
Get a Spanish phrase book it has numbers in there this is the one i bought Learn Spanish For Your Costa Blanca Holiday

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
im sure they will write the number or show you on a calculator if you dont understand - Im sure you can find something better to get stressed about

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
Get a few peso at the airport when you arrive or the cambio in the hotel you stay at for taxis etc. US $ is accepted in most tourist locations, and your change will be in peso.......other than changing your money twice, you lose twice. Hummmm
Look at the current exchange rate......1 US equals X in peso, pretty simple.
Forget American Express or travelers checks.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Get a few peso at the airport when you arrive or the cambio in the hotel you stay at for taxis etc. US $ is accepted in most tourist locations, and your change will be in peso.......other than changing your money twice, you lose twice. Hummmm
Look at the current exchange rate......1 US equals X in peso, pretty simple.
Forget American Express or travelers checks.

The airport and your hotel are perhaps the worst places to change money, The OP can pay for a taxi in USD and buy RD Pesos at a cambio near his hotel. I do not recommend using USD for anything in Sosua other than a tourist taxi.

tambo's .02

Reactions: Rocky

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
It's all good....

Not looking for the better rate, I said a "few" peso. I have always used US all over the DR other than interior, and peso for change. Never have a problem changing back on your return trip either. I suppose you could go the Banco and change ALL your money. If not travel savy, could be harder to keep track of your money for some. The easiest way looks the best for the OP here...
Different strokes for different folks.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The only place that gives you a fare tasa for USD and change in RD pesos is Playero. Why would you change any money at the airport at RD32/USD when the rate is 35.40 on the street? You are doing others a diservice by posting your opinions as facts.

It's your money!

tambo'

A

apostropheman

As Tambo says your opinion makes no sense!

The only place you need USD for is the tourist taxi to and from the airport, and you can pay in pesos returning to the airport.

Whatever your home currency it IS to your advantage to change to USD and then to psos when in the DR.

For example changing CAD to USD and then to pseos can save you 5-6% over bringing CAD and changing directly to pesos. Also choosing wisely where you change to pesos can have a huge afect as well.

You are not helping anyone posting bogus info so please go back to lurking until you have something useful to contribute. :pirate:

The airport and your hotel are perhaps the worst places to change money, The OP can pay for a taxi in USD and buy RD Pesos at a cambio near his hotel. I do not recommend using USD for anything in Sosua other than a tourist taxi.

tambo's .02

Not looking for the better rate, I said a "few" peso. I have always used US all over the DR other than interior, and peso for change. Never have a problem changing back on your return trip either. I suppose you could go the Banco and change ALL your money. If not travel savy, could be harder to keep track of your money for some. The easiest way looks the best for the OP here...
Different strokes for different folks.

The only place that gives you a fare tasa for USD and change in RD pesos is Playero. Why would you change any money at the airport at RD32/USD when the rate is 35.40 on the street? You are doing others a diservice by posting your opinions as facts.

It's your money!

tambo'

cigarjoe

Left for a smoke.....
Feb 11, 2009
Hummm, I'm guessing you must live in Sosua and maybe retired. Living there and visiting for a week are 2 different things. Myself, I wouldn't bother to worry about the 2 peso diff and guess I wouldn't change on the street anymore than walk around without my head screwed on backwards....lol
In Santiago I have to admitt I did change a considerable amount for a street rate at a jewelery shop run by chinese.
Have a nice day, hopefully my incorrect opinion won't cost the OP the shirt off his back....hehe

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
For example changing CAD to USD and then to pseos can save you 5-6% over bringing CAD and changing directly to pesos. Also choosing wisely where you change to pesos can have a huge afect as well.
Can you explain where you get the 5-6% apostropheman???

Using today's Royal Bank exchange rate, it would cost me $127.56Cdn. to buy $100US. So, then below is the calculation for the peso amounts I would receive. The difference is not too much. But if I am missing something then please inform me, so all can benefit.

So, doing the math:

$100US X 35.6 = $3560.00RD

$127.56 X 27.56 = $3516.00RD

Last edited:
A

apostropheman

Maybe you can afford to be wasteful but I choose not to be.

Some time ago Rocky did the calculation but I guess the spread has changed some for the better since then, however:

$100 CAD = 79.85 USD
Currency Converter for 164 Currencies
$79.85 USD in Sosua will get you 2843 pesos.
$100 CAD in Sosua will get you 2756 pesos or only 96.9%
http://www.dr1.com/forums/728565-post147.html

So at this time you would lose 3.1% by not converting to USD first.

Perhaps not as dramatic as 5-6% but costly none the less.

I easily spend $1500 USD in a week including hotel but excluding airfare, and that's about $1878 CAD. 3.1% is $87. At 3 or 4 trips a year it adds up fast covering food and drink or a nice condo for a week!

Using today's Royal Bank exchange rate, it would cost me $127.56Cdn. to buy $100US. So, then below is the calculation for the peso amounts I would receive. The difference is not too much. But if I am missing something then please inform me, so all can benefit.

So, doing the math:

A

apostropheman

Regardless of the actual numbers, which often change, the principle is the same. You will get more pesos changing USD than with any of the other major currencies. Whether the spread is enough for you to bother is a different story.
Some time ago Rocky did the calculation but I guess the spread has changed some for the better since then, however:

$100 CAD = 79.85 USD
Currency Converter for 164 Currencies
$79.85 USD in Sosua will get you 2843 pesos.

I easily spend $1500 USD in a week including hotel but excluding airfare, and that's about $1878 CAD. 3.1% is $87. At 3 or 4 trips a year it adds up fast covering food and drink or a nice condo for a week!
DISCLAIMER :D:
If the percentage I stated is wrong it is my mistake, NOT Rocky's.
I didn't bother to redo the math as I have seen the savings to myself many times over.

I generally don't take much cash and use ATMs as I get an excellent rate and don't have to worry about having too much cash on hand....but perhaps that's another topic :cheeky::bunny::bunny:

Last edited:

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com

I doubt one can get the Dominican Central Bank rate for CDN$ at cambios in the DR so I believe the 5-6% is accurate, and that is at a good cambio like Victor's.
Some cambios will give 24-26 for CDN$.

Victor's cambio, Puerto Plata, this morning US$ 35.2, Euro 45, ? 46, CDN$ 27, Swiss Franc 27.

xe.com mid-market rates now are US$ 35.43, Euro 46.92, L 50.35, CDN$ 28.85, SW. Fr. 31.14.

US$ spread of .23/35.43=.65%

Euro spread 1.92/46.92=4.1%

L spread 4.35/50.35=8.6%

CDN$ spread 1.85/28.85=6.4%

Sw. FR. spread 4.14/31.14=13.3%

Cost to buy US$ should be around 2%, at least, that's been my experience.

ATM currency conversion spreads are typically 2.5% or so plus service charge, if any, per transaction.

Victor gives good rates.
Some cambios pay less, often much less.
Most hotels pay way less.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Hummm, I'm guessing you must live in Sosua and maybe retired. Living there and visiting for a week are 2 different things. Myself, I wouldn't bother to worry about the 2 peso diff and guess I wouldn't change on the street anymore than walk around without my head screwed on backwards....lol
In Santiago I have to admitt I did change a considerable amount for a street rate at a jewelery shop run by chinese.
Have a nice day, hopefully my incorrect opinion won't cost the OP the shirt off his back....hehe

Hey,

using 500 US as an exmaple, you are roughly throwing away 40-42 US dollars.

it's not a ton of money,but why throw it away?

tx

rugby.1

Feb 11, 2009
rugby.1

i think i started an arguement. didn't mean to. i was not so much worried about the rate when i started the thread, but to the actual physics of paying for things. my memory does not work as such that i'm gonna learn to count in spanish in the next week. i wondered if the normal store operator would know my hundred, thousand etc... instead of the spanish. i don't want to hold my hands out and say take what ya need-rugby

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The grocery store has a cash register with an LED readout, just like home... so I think you will be ok, also the numbers are pretty easy to read on the bills.

Watch out for the amount of Chiclets they give you for change, it can get confusing to a non-native speaker!

Reactions: FernieBee

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
If you don't think you can handle learning a few numbers, then the best thing to do is carry a little note pad and a pen and have them write it down for you.

"Cuanto cuesta?" means "How much does it cost?" It's pronounced pretty much how you would in English. Then hand them the pad and pen.

Learning the numbers in denominations of 10/100/1000 is really simple. Just say so if you want it spelled out for you, or better yet just google "Spanish numbers"

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004

So, doing the math:

It's the same in Canada as it is in the D.R. the worst place to exchange $$ is in a bank.