Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default money use in sosua--how???

i've been reading all i can- but with 4 days till i leave i'm not going to teach myself spanish. no sense kidding myself. if i was computer literate i could probably find old listings explaining this--- how do i handle my money. i know not to use us currency, but i don't want to hold out my money and simply ask how much. -any hints would be appreciated-rugby

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

money for what ? errrr ask for la cuenta - what is the question ?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rugby.1 View Post
    i've been reading all i can- but with 4 days till i leave i'm not going to teach myself spanish. no sense kidding myself. if i was computer literate i could probably find old listings explaining this--- how do i handle my money. i know not to use us currency, but i don't want to hold out my money and simply ask how much. -any hints would be appreciated-rugby
    Get a Spanish phrase book it has numbers in there this is the one i bought Learn Spanish For Your Costa Blanca Holiday

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

im sure they will write the number or show you on a calculator if you dont understand - Im sure you can find something better to get stressed about

Left for a smoke.....
    Post Thanks / Like

Get a few peso at the airport when you arrive or the cambio in the hotel you stay at for taxis etc. US $ is accepted in most tourist locations, and your change will be in peso.......other than changing your money twice, you lose twice. Hummmm
    Look at the current exchange rate......1 US equals X in peso, pretty simple.
    Forget American Express or travelers checks.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

1 dollar = 35 pesos more or less
    3 dollars = 100 pesos more or less
    15 dollars =500 pesos more or less
    30 dollars=1000 pesos more or less

hope that helps

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cigarjoe View Post
    Get a few peso at the airport when you arrive or the cambio in the hotel you stay at for taxis etc. US $ is accepted in most tourist locations, and your change will be in peso.......other than changing your money twice, you lose twice. Hummmm
    Look at the current exchange rate......1 US equals X in peso, pretty simple.
    Forget American Express or travelers checks.
    The airport and your hotel are perhaps the worst places to change money, The OP can pay for a taxi in USD and buy RD Pesos at a cambio near his hotel. I do not recommend using USD for anything in Sosua other than a tourist taxi.

tambo's .02

Left for a smoke.....
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink It's all good....

Not looking for the better rate, I said a "few" peso. I have always used US all over the DR other than interior, and peso for change. Never have a problem changing back on your return trip either. I suppose you could go the Banco and change ALL your money. If not travel savy, could be harder to keep track of your money for some. The easiest way looks the best for the OP here...
    Different strokes for different folks.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The only place that gives you a fare tasa for USD and change in RD pesos is Playero. Why would you change any money at the airport at RD32/USD when the rate is 35.40 on the street? You are doing others a diservice by posting your opinions as facts.

It's your money!

tambo'

apostropheman

Lightbulb

As Tambo says your opinion makes no sense!

The only place you need USD for is the tourist taxi to and from the airport, and you can pay in pesos returning to the airport.

Whatever your home currency it IS to your advantage to change to USD and then to psos when in the DR.

For example changing CAD to USD and then to pseos can save you 5-6% over bringing CAD and changing directly to pesos. Also choosing wisely where you change to pesos can have a huge afect as well.

You are not helping anyone posting bogus info so please go back to lurking until you have something useful to contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamborista View Post
    The airport and your hotel are perhaps the worst places to change money, The OP can pay for a taxi in USD and buy RD Pesos at a cambio near his hotel. I do not recommend using USD for anything in Sosua other than a tourist taxi.

tambo's .02
    Quote Originally Posted by cigarjoe View Post
    Not looking for the better rate, I said a "few" peso. I have always used US all over the DR other than interior, and peso for change. Never have a problem changing back on your return trip either. I suppose you could go the Banco and change ALL your money. If not travel savy, could be harder to keep track of your money for some. The easiest way looks the best for the OP here...
    Different strokes for different folks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamborista View Post
    The only place that gives you a fare tasa for USD and change in RD pesos is Playero. Why would you change any money at the airport at RD32/USD when the rate is 35.40 on the street? You are doing others a diservice by posting your opinions as facts.

It's your money!

tambo'

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast