Advantages - Dual Nationality

domilinguist

Feb 22, 2008
Dear All,

I've been told that I can now apply for dual nationality and get a Dominican passport. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to this? Will I lose any rights here as a British citizen?

If anyone has any information/experiences to share, I would love to hear from you!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
However, you might lose some of the services of the British Embassy, should you need them, so check with them first. There is also a thread where Matilda posted her experiences - she did not receive full Embassy services after being shot 'because she was married to a Dominican' (& the assumption made that she had Dominican citizenship). We challenged this & I seem to recall the Ambassador confirmed she should have received services (the shooting happened before his appointment), but Matilda has all the correspondance, so check with her. I'll email her about this thread. Look up the thread where all this is reported (on legal forum I seem to recall).

I think a question got raised in the House of Commons about this following Matilda's experience. ;)

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
However, you might lose some of the services of the British Embassy, should you need them, so check with them first. There is also a thread where Matilda posted her experiences - she did not receive full Embassy services after being shot 'because she was married to a Dominican' (& the assumption made that she had Dominican citizenship). We challenged this & I seem to recall the Ambassador confirmed she should have received services (the shooting happened before his appointment), but Matilda has all the correspondance, so check with her. I'll email her about this thread. Look up the thread where all this is reported (on legal forum I seem to recall).

I think a question got raised in the House of Commons about this following Matilda's experience. ;)

I think that is a very important point right there.
When taking a new nationality, you become part of that particular country. You are not a guest anymore. So, first you want to look at how government and authorities of that particular country treats it's own citizens by their own laws and rules, before choosing to become part of it.
As Lambada pointed out, your "other" country's consulate can't help you anymore. Yes, you are still a citizen of your country of origin, but they can not interfere in something that, once you are a citizen of that new country of you choice, would be internal affairs.
Being a guest, certainly only gives you limited civic privileges but also rights and an international protection which locals may not always have.

... J-D.

Reactions: MikeFisher

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Correct Lambada and JD.

The embassy assumed (wrongly) that I had dual citizenship. If that is the case then the country in which you are residing (ie here in DR) takes precedence and you cannot call on the embassy for help. Not if you are the vistim of violent crime, nor need emergency help, nor if you are arrested. The UK Foreign Office website explains this. And as far as I understand it this is international diplomatic protocol so would work the same whichever country you come from. However you do not lose your British nationality. Once British - always British!

So the only advantage I can see of having Dominican citizenship is that you get a passport (but can't travel to many countries with it!!), you can vote, and you can hold government office. However you cannot ever become President - which is a shame as I quite fancy that job!

However if you are a Resident (as opposed to a citizen) that gives you the advantage of being here legally, not have to pay entry tax, going in the short Dominican only queue when you come back to the country as opposed to with all the tourists, and you can get into some tourist attractions more cheaply.

Hope that helps.

Matilda

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Dear All,

I've been told that I can now apply for dual nationality and get a Dominican passport. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to this? Will I lose any rights here as a British citizen?

If anyone has any information/experiences to share, I would love to hear from you!

One advantage is that a Dominican passport can save your life if you are the type of person that likes to travel a lot to dengerous places or high risk of terrorist attacks.

One example, the Mumbai terrorist attacked the terrorist were targeting tourist holding British and American passports, if you find yourself in that type of situation (God forbid never happen) and you're a British/Dominican citizen or a American/Dominican citizen you can always show your Dominican passport and save your life :bunny:.

It may not be good for free travel be it's very good to save your life. ;)

edm7583

May 29, 2007
One advantage is that a Dominican passport can save your life if you are the type of person that likes to travel a lot to dengerous places or high risk of terrorist attacks.

One example, the Mumbai terrorist attacked the terrorist were targeting tourist holding British and American passports, if you find yourself in that type of situation (God forbid never happen) and you're a British/Dominican citizen or a American/Dominican citizen you can always show your Dominican passport and save your life :bunny:.

You're kidding, right?
Assuming such a rare, far-fetched situation would happen, do you really think a gringo showing a passport that says he/she is a citizen of the Dominican Republic will hide the fact that he/she is clearly an American or a Brit? (especially if the passport states your place of birth??) In a situation like this, attackers are going to do what they want and when your time's up, it's up. A better approach to prevent something like this from happening, rather than making a feeble attempt to hide your nationality, is to proactively destroy the ideology that would commit such atrocities.

There may be some modest advantages to obtaining DR citizenship if you live there, but a situation like the above should not be your sole reason for getting a second passport.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
In a situation like this, attackers are going to do what they want and when your time's up, it's up.

And if you thought you would be travelling in areas where such situations were likely, a fake second passport would have as much luck as a real one, so you could always carry a fake. IF you were that way inclined, of course. ;)

Last edited:

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
However, you might lose some of the services of the British Embassy, should you need them, so check with them first.)

someone is not doing their job properly. Good

is the consulate there to provide you with A service
:smoke:

One of the reasons the British Embassy is here is to support British nationals abroad. !

Regrettably I have to inform you that there are no vacancies at the Puerto Plata Consulate.
;)Last edited by http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj149/10456_album/1DJ1.jpg
Reason: forgot the wink

Dominican Joe saved me... Thanks..
.................................................................................................

The truth
:bunny: I always found it better to phone Mendez a very helpful man

Phone no for S /D 001 809 4727111 FAX NO 4727574 Mendez office POP 001809 5864244 FAX 001809 5863096 i always found it better to phone Mendez a very helpful man best of luck
:smoke::smoke:

?

? bient?t

Right out of a Segal/Norris/Snipes/Stallone/Ahnold/Straham shoot 'em up:

And to make a long story short, Zeque then disables the would-be assassins, one by one, lands the jet on the Ozama River, phones Leonel: "Se?or Pres., el ?guila aterriz?."

Accolades galore:
La orden de Duarte, S?nchez y Mella
Febrero 24: dia feriado
Hato Mayor ? Guayabo Dulce: autopista Ezequiel
D?Esequiel Sal?n de Beyesa
Pulper?a Esequier
Caba?as Ese-Ki?l
Beras-Goico y Corpor?n shows
Guandulito/Cieguito de Nagua?s HUGE bachata hit: ?Aterrizando con dolor?
Fefita la Grande replies: ?Aterriza aqu?, mi amor?

Fast forward nine months: 10% of newborns in Las Ca?itas, Los Guandules, y Arroyo Hondo Abajo are christened Hesekiel.

At the estreno of ?Pasajero Cincuenta y Ocho: Parte Dos? in Santiago, Rahim Patel drops the name like he just don?t care: ?I know Ezekiel, my friend,? then comes back to DR1 and tells us how he got in for free.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Right out of a Segal/Norris/Snipes/Stallone/Ahnold/Straham shoot 'em up:

And to make a long story short, Zeque then disables the would-be assassins, one by one, lands the jet on the Ozama River, phones Leonel: "Se?or Pres., el ?guila aterriz?."

Accolades galore:
La orden de Duarte, S?nchez y Mella
Febrero 24: dia feriado
Hato Mayor ? Guayabo Dulce: autopista Ezequiel
D?Esequiel Sal?n de Beyesa
Pulper?a Esequier
Caba?as Ese-Ki?l
Beras-Goico y Corpor?n shows
Guandulito/Cieguito de Nagua?s HUGE bachata hit: ?Aterrizando con dolor?
Fefita la Grande replies: ?Aterriza aqu?, mi amor?

Fast forward nine months: 10% of newborns in Las Ca?itas, Los Guandules, y Arroyo Hondo Abajo are christened Hesekiel.

At the estreno of ?Pasajero Cincuenta y Ocho: Parte Dos? in Santiago, Rahim Patel drops the name like he just don?t care: ?I know Ezekiel, my friend,? then comes back to DR1 and tells us how he got in for free.

Dominican Passport Rocks!!!! ;)