Inundaciones in Lago Enriquillo area, how's that affecting tourism?

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
I've read several news about floodings (inundaciones?) in Lago Enriquillo area and was wondering the extent of the floodings. Are they affecting the ring road and tourism in general? We're visiting the area in 7 weeks (and counting) and a lot can be done in that period of time, but should we reconsider the visit?

Hope there's not people dying or getting injured, the material loss can always be replaced.

TIA

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've read several news about floodings (inundaciones?) in Lago Enriquillo area and was wondering the extent of the floodings. Are they affecting the ring road and tourism in general? We're visiting the area in 7 weeks (and counting) and a lot can be done in that period of time, but should we reconsider the visit?

Hope there's not people dying or getting injured, the material loss can always be replaced.

TIA
All we see is the lake itself is up 6-8'. The border market in Jimani is flooded and had to be sort of moved because the lake-that used to be 1/4 mile away-is up, and flooded the market. The buildings adjacent to the market are 3' under water. Crude dikes have been built to keep the lake from further encroachment. It makes the market area a little confusing and disjointed, the same number of folks packed into half the area.

The road around the lake is fine.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey, glad to get your personalized and up close take on that situation. There seems to be some confusion as to just what is causing this. One source seemed to indicate that underground sources were once more bringing more water into the lakes then they were evaporating...which is a good thing...IMO, of course. I suppose if you were a farmer trying to eek out a living on land that used to be under water and was now returning to the former state this is not good....

HB

Arrica

Jun 3, 2006
Wrong lake

. The border market in Jimani is flooded and had to be sort of moved because the lake-that used to be 1/4 mile away-is up, and flooded the market.

Cobraboy,
The lake that you mention as adjacent to the market at the border with Haiti is Lac Azuei. Lago Enriquillo is a few kilometers further to the east of Jimani.

cheers;)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Cobraboy,
The lake that you mention as adjacent to the market at the border with Haiti is Lac Azuei. Lago Enriquillo is a few kilometers further to the east of Jimani.

cheers;)
I never said it was the same lake as I certainly know the difference.

Fact is BOTH lakes are up 6-8'. It was a generalized comment.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Lago Enriquillo/Lago Azuei

Please see photos I took this past Sunday (March 1, 2009) of both lago Enriquillo and Lago Azuei (at the border of Jimani). In some parts Lago Enriquillo is right at the border of the main highway between Jimani and La Descubierta:
Lago Enriquillo - a set on Flickr

Reactions: Chirimoya

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
Thank you so much, Marilyn, for the pictures. They're great ones, despite the fact that there's a serious problem down there. And thanks for writing where the Enriquillo statue is.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
First - mods- perhaps this thread should be moved to the Environmental Forum? And 2 there is another Lake in Haiti that is flooding seriously - Down in Grand Anse, Lac Miragoane - see clips here http://elleninhaiti.blogspot.com/2008/10/etang-de-miragoane.html

and here is the location of the lake:
http://www.traveljournals.net/explore/haiti/map/m101354/etang_de_miragoane.html

perhaps this is a new source of fresh water rising? trying to look on the bright side....

although the pix are from last October the news of the floods is still making the front page in the Port Au Prince papers...

Last edited:

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
I just went to Lake Oviedo last week. My clients wanted to see flamingos at Enriquillo but we were advised against it due to flooding. So I took them down near Pedrenales to Oviedo. It is also a salt lake. I had my doubts about the excursion being worth our ride down from the hotel in Barahona but I was very pleasantly surprised. My clients were thrilled. We say a ton of iguanas out on an island and then we saw a huge flock of maybe 70 flamingos. They took off and flew around in a big circle at one point. Awesome. I highly recommend if you can't make Enriquillo work out for you.

sosua.sam

Mar 30, 2009
Yo Marilyn - Enjoyed your photos of the flood at Lago E. Hope the bouganvilla is still in bloom when I get there. I can hardly pass bouganvilla without stopping for a photo!

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Yo Marilyn - Enjoyed your photos of the flood at Lago E. Hope the bouganvilla is still in bloom when I get there. I can hardly pass bouganvilla without stopping for a photo!

I will most likely be in bloom, from what I hear the flooding is even worse but the roads are still un-flooded.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I notice that one of the lead stories in yesterday's Listin was how the Haitian Lake Etang was crossing into Dominican territory and flooding the road to Jimini. Too bad that Haitian lake did not consult the map and stay on its side of the border!

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
I notice that one of the lead stories in yesterday's Listin was how the Haitian Lake Etang was crossing into Dominican territory and flooding the road to Jimini. Too bad that Haitian lake did not consult the map and stay on its side of the border!

Haitians don't stay on their side, why should the lake? I'm sure it bribed some CESSFRONT officers to cross the border