Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

First - mods- perhaps this thread should be moved to the Environmental Forum? And 2 there is another Lake in Haiti that is flooding seriously - Down in Grand Anse, Lac Miragoane - see clips here http://elleninhaiti.blogspot.com/200...miragoane.html

and here is the location of the lake:
    http://www.traveljournals.net/explor...miragoane.html

perhaps this is a new source of fresh water rising? trying to look on the bright side....

although the pix are from last October the news of the floods is still making the front page in the Port Au Prince papers...
    Last edited by mountainannie; 03-19-2009 at 09:28 PM. Reason: edit

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Le Nouvelliste en Haiti - A quand une intervention concrète ?

Here is the article in French on Etang Miragoane

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

I just went to Lake Oviedo last week. My clients wanted to see flamingos at Enriquillo but we were advised against it due to flooding. So I took them down near Pedrenales to Oviedo. It is also a salt lake. I had my doubts about the excursion being worth our ride down from the hotel in Barahona but I was very pleasantly surprised. My clients were thrilled. We say a ton of iguanas out on an island and then we saw a huge flock of maybe 70 flamingos. They took off and flew around in a big circle at one point. Awesome. I highly recommend if you can't make Enriquillo work out for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Yo Marilyn - Enjoyed your photos of the flood at Lago E. Hope the bouganvilla is still in bloom when I get there. I can hardly pass bouganvilla without stopping for a photo!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sosua.sam View Post
    Yo Marilyn - Enjoyed your photos of the flood at Lago E. Hope the bouganvilla is still in bloom when I get there. I can hardly pass bouganvilla without stopping for a photo!
    I will most likely be in bloom, from what I hear the flooding is even worse but the roads are still un-flooded.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I notice that one of the lead stories in yesterday's Listin was how the Haitian Lake Etang was crossing into Dominican territory and flooding the road to Jimini. Too bad that Haitian lake did not consult the map and stay on its side of the border!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    I notice that one of the lead stories in yesterday's Listin was how the Haitian Lake Etang was crossing into Dominican territory and flooding the road to Jimini. Too bad that Haitian lake did not consult the map and stay on its side of the border!
    Haitians don't stay on their side, why should the lake? I'm sure it bribed some CESSFRONT officers to cross the border

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12