Residencia & Cedula - The Guzman Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I received my Cedula De Indetidad and my Permiso Residencia Temporal on February 23, 2009. The Guzman Law Firm handled everything. They take you by the hand and walk you through the process. I can't say enough about how well I was treated. I am so happy I chose to use their services. To avoid any unnecessary stress just do as they say. They are truly professionals and know what they are doing.

A brief time line:

June 16, 2008 - Contacted the Guzman Law Firm by email requesting information about obtaining temporary residence and a cedula.

June 17, 2008 - Received a detailed reply telling me exactly what I needed to do and exactly what they will do.

June 30, 2008 - I mailed my birth certificate to the Dominican Consulate in NYC to be legalized. The Guzman Law Firm advised me they would take care of the translation.

July 7, 2008 - Opened a peso bank account with La Nacional (part of the requirements)

July 12, 2008 - Wire transferred the required retainer fee to Guzman Law Firm.

July 28, 2008 - I went to La Nacional bank to obtain a letter stating I had an account in good standing. The Guzman Law Firm emailed me all of the information that should be included in the letter.

July 29, 2008 - I met with the Guzman Law Firm to review all documents. I did exactly as they said and all my documents were in order.

August 1, 2008 - I arrived at the Guzman Law Firm's office at 8:30 am. A little before noon I was finished with the physical, blood work and a chest x-ray. An associate from the law firm held my hand and walked me through everything. Only thing I did was sign wherever there was an X.

Now the wait begins..............

October 24, 2008 - I received this email from the Guzman Law Firm, they keep you informed of every little detail:

"Just a note to inform you that as a result of the Presidential Elections in the DR, on August 16, 2008, the Executive appointed a new Head of the Immigration Department and accordingly a new staff was appointed in all the Departments and offices of that government entity. The delay in the taking office of the new employees has caused a delay in the filing of your residency application.

Your residency application was filed at the Immigration Department on October 14, 2008 (File number XXXX), the first step is the investigation performed by the Dominican authorities and the Interpol. During this time, we would not have any news about the progress of your file, because of the fact that the investigation performed by the authorities is confidential, at this point, attorneys do not have access to the applicant?s file."

Back to waiting again..............

February 16, 2009 - I received an email from the Guzman Law Firm that I had been approved and can come to pick up my documents anytime. As luck would have it I had a trip to the DR for the upcoming weekend.

February 17, 2009 - I wire transferred the balance due on my account.

February 23, 2009 - I am back in the office of the Guzman Law Firm to be held by the hand again. First stop I receive my cedula, next stop I have my provisional residencia. A quick trip back to the office for some minor details and a little before noon I am on my way with documents in hand.

It was the easiest thing to do when you have people working for you who know what they are doing. It was worth every penny. In a year I will receive an email from the Guzman Law Firm reminding me it is time to apply for my permanent documents. From what I understand it is the same process one more time.

Many thanks to the Santo Domingo office of The Guzman Ariza Law Firm.

Last edited by a moderator:

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I had the Guzman firm handle my house purchase and it went painlessly. I am on the verge of starting the residence procedure and plan to use Guzman for that. So, the obvious question is....what did it set you back using their firm?? peso o dolar

A

apostropheman

I received my Cedula De Indetidad and my Permiso Residencia Temporal on February 23, 2009. The Guzman Law Firm handled everything. They take you by the hand and walk you through the process. I can't say enough about how well I was treated. I am so happy I chose to use their services. To avoid any unnecessary stress just do as they say. They are truly professionals and know what they are doing.
Thanks for the great post, your results are exactly what I would have expected from a firm with such an excellent reputation.
I had the Guzman firm handle my house purchase and it went painlessly. I am on the verge of starting the residence procedure and plan to use Guzman for that.
I trust that you would also recommend them?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
....what did it set you back using their firm?? peso o dolar
I would rather not say because my understanding is the government increased the fees for certain items and I would imagine Guzman Ariza Law firm probably increased their fee accordingly.

I did get a price quote from two other law firms and all three were pretty much the same in price. I just felt comfortable with the Guzman Ariza law firm. I have no complaints whatsoever.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I'm trust that what ever price they charge will be reasonable. In answer to the other post, I highly recommend Guzman Ariza.

senorblanco

Jun 11, 2006
I have used Guzman personally (my residencia [even easier than Bigbird's], and problemas typico)
I also use them professionally for my Condo Association, real estate transactions etc..
I can not express my satisfaction with everything they have done for me/us.
I also use other lawyers who are very good.
Argentina Brugal in POP, Guido Perdoma in Sosua, and others, but....
You need A lawyer?
Go to Guzman ! (IMHO)

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
could you tell how much you pay here?

Everybody know that government increase fee. I want to know the number as price reference.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Everybody know that government increase fee. I want to know the number as price reference.

Well, since everybody knows the government increased fees than everybody should know the best way to get a price quote is to contact Guzman Ariza directly. Seems simple enough to me.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

sorry dude, after I read your reply again it was too late to change my reply to you. If all you want is the cheapest price you can find don't bother with Guzman Ariza. I really don't care if I paid a few extra bucks, I got great service and was very pleased.

Stop responding with your "everybody knows" and spend a little time researching the threads and you will find price quotes and the sad stories that came from hiring a cheapo abagodo.

hasta luego y no contesta mi no mas, gracias

travel1000

Jan 31, 2007
I like your atitude

"If all you want is the cheapest price you can find don't bother with Guzman Ariza" That is very good info. It looks like big deal to disclose the lawyer fee.
sorry dude, after I read your reply again it was too late to change my reply to you. If all you want is the cheapest price you can find don't bother with Guzman Ariza. I really don't care if I paid a few extra bucks, I got great service and was very pleased.

Stop responding with your "everybody knows" and spend a little time researching the threads and you will find price quotes and the sad stories that came from hiring a cheapo abagodo.

hasta luego y no contesta mi no mas, gracias

Status
Not open for further replies.