Cabarete or Sosua during Holy Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

dulce25

Mar 24, 2008
Hello All,
So I booked my trip to RD during Holy week not knowing it was Holy week! I love the locals so I am super stoked that they will be hanging out at the beach!

So which would be more fun and safe Sosua or Cabarete? I am going to take Spanish classes, but I am undecided between the two.

Any hotel recommendations???

Thanks!

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Recommendation is to book as quickly as you can. Hotels can become completely booked before you know it.

Cabarete Thurs/Fri/Sat & Sun til mid-day are typically crazy. Traffic is bad, beach is packed, and restaurants/bars are full. Me, I'll stock up on groceries and stay home that weekend!

Sosua I can't speak to as I've not done Semana Santa there.

Anyhow, you can have fun. Just expect a crowd.

Jan 17, 2009
Dulce,

There'll be people everywhere. I'm in Cabarete and yes, it gets very crowded and very loud and noisy. Yet, I think it's a lot of fun. I personally think that it's a lot more fan in Cabarete than Sosua. There's nothing going on the beach at night in Sosua, but Cabarete is full of beach restaurants and bars, and there's always live music on the beach on those two days. No music and no drinks are allowed on Good Friday anywhere in the DR. The party starts on midnight Saturday and goes on nonstop till noon Easter Sunday. Safety has not been a problem in Cabarete (at least the last three years that I've been here). The police usually steps up security and patrols on the beach and the main road.

About taking Spanish lessons, you may only find classes for a few days that week. Most places close on Thursday afternoon and don't open again till Monday.

Do make your hotel reservations right away if you haven't done so yet. Many hotels are already fully booked.

Sep 19, 2005
here is cabarete 2 easters ago:

117xp1g.jpg

here is Sosua the same day:

6qbcpu.jpg

the traffic will be your biggest headache

dont try to drive that day...be where you want to be before the day starts!!

bad bob

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That is excellent advice.
Either get somewhere where you can walk to what you want or be prepared to suffer traffic jams all day long.
Both places are a lot of fun...

HB

Status
Not open for further replies.