Who are the Police , Military etc

May 5, 2007
What exactly is the hierarchy of the police/military in the DR?

Ie; Is it National Police, AMET, Tourist Police, Local etc and Military having concurrent jurisdiction or?

I have a friend who is what in the US would be an O-9 or Lt. General who seems impervious to civilian law and it confuses me, are the military not covered by civilian laws?

there also seems to be completely separate organizations such as the Marine Police (Black and white camo uniforms) etc. Maybe I need an explanation of the different military functions to fully understand this

I recall reading some history, the 1965 occupation by the US specifically and it seem there is a "special" group that Wessin led that was not under command of National Authority or?

thanks

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Military men are not civilians, so why would anyone think they would be subjected to civilian law?

They have their own schools, their own hospitals, their own courts, their own everything.

-NALs

May 5, 2007
Military men are not civilians, so why would anyone think they would be subjected to civilian law?

They have their own schools, their own hospitals, their own courts, their own everything.

-NALs

I never realized the DR was under MArtial law

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

-NALs

In most countries Military are subject to two sets of laws- Military and Civil.

May 5, 2007
Who is who, not who is subject to what

I'm assuming the average soldier is subject to Civil Law, but General so and so is untouchable .It was the Police Hierarchy and the Military also IF they (Military) act as a domestic Police force also

Is there a National Police, Municipal PD's, regional PDS, "special" Police etc

As in the US you have in each State A State Police, County or Parish Police and Municipal Police

Ex: New York would have NY State Police having Jurisdiction State wide, Nassau County having jurisdiction within any town in Nassau County then Hempstead Town Police having powers in that Town

You also have various agencies such as Game Wardens, Motor registry Police in some areas, but I am looking for the general role of each Police Force in the DR

You would also have FBI having investigative authority for Federal Laws within.

NO Military police force would have any authority within civilian jurisdiction unless it involved active duty Military and then would be handled by the civilian force and assisted only if requested by Civilian authorities, but subject to local State and County laws

In the US, the Military is prohibited from acting upon the civil populace by USC 18 or Posse Comitatus Act which prohibits Army, Navy, Air Force or Marines engaging in civil Law enforcement unless specifically requested by President or Congress following a natural disaster, terrorism etc or the National Guard of a State that is under control of the Governor

Now, how about in DR?

There may be exceptions, but if you are able to answer my original question I am certain you understand what I am asking.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
It's always baffled me too!

As ex-military myself, it amuses me that there are more Generals in this country than NATO! It's also a good idea to have one in your pocket if you can befriend one!

Reactions: badpiece33

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Right another case of nals hoof in mouth.

-NALs

Most countries have their own military hospitals for active duty or vets. but never heard of police having their own. Military in the US has their own jails also, police dont.

Miltary in the USA are subject to Military law while on duty on a military installation, if they are off base and not on MILITARY duty then they are subject to civil law, dont care what rank they are. And not allowed to carry weapons off instalation while not on duty.

Little different than here. Which looks more like the wild west. and everybodys got one on their moto.

djlawlaw

Jul 6, 2006
Hmm. I usually look to see who has a gun. That is the person I respect most. :) I am confused as well. Someone shed some light on this. Please.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I am not 100% sure but I believe the Hierarchy goes like this:
Politur, AMET, P.N., and then Military. They all serve different roles in the country and carry firearms and could make arrests and confiscate property. I've seen tactical units of Nacional and some wearing fatigues carrying M-16s.

I've also seen "Policia Municipal" but don't know exactly what their role is. Maybe someone could shed some light.

Feb 7, 2007
AMET has authority as transit police. PN has authority as national police force. DNI is a federal police. DNCD is a drug agency (like DEA). Politur is a tourist police. There is also an airport police (CESA), border security (CESFRONT), METRO security, and immigration. Then you have intelligence departm,ents like G-2 and J-2 (marina and fuerzas armadas).

As far as what each organization does, duties are pretty clear.

As far as command goes, a military general can be assigned command of DNCD, usually a PN officers are assigned command at Politur and AMET, CESA,a nd METRO, armed forces general are assigned command of CESFRONT and G-2 and J-25, etc. DNI command may have people from PN and army, etc. So a general may be first at Marina (dominican navy), then at DNCD, then at G-2 etc.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
AMET has authority as transit police. PN has authority as national police force. DNI is a federal police. DNCD is a drug agency (like DEA). Politur is a tourist police. There is also an airport police (CESA), border security (CESFRONT), METRO security, and immigration. Then you have intelligence departm,ents like G-2 and J-2 (marina and fuerzas armadas).

As far as what each organization does, duties are pretty clear.

As far as command goes, a military general can be assigned command of DNCD, usually a PN officers are assigned command at Politur and AMET, CESA,a nd METRO, armed forces general are assigned command of CESFRONT and G-2 and J-25, etc. DNI command may have people from PN and army, etc. So a general may be first at Marina (dominican navy), then at DNCD, then at G-2 etc.

Great info,
Do you know what the roles of P.M. (Policia Municipal)??

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It's always baffled me too!

As ex-military myself, it amuses me that there are more Generals in this country than NATO! It's also a good idea to have one in your pocket if you can befriend one!
The military is the most important, respected, and solid institution in the DR.

They are above and beyond the rest of the government or anyone/everything else.

-NALs

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Perhaps you are not considering the 1%ers?
Moneyed people always run the country.
The Military are trained to obey, and they do.

Reactions: FernieBee

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Forgot something

The military is the most important, respected, and solid institution in the DR.

They are above and beyond the rest of the government or anyone/everything else.

-NALs

And follow the PN as the most corrupted. hell to be in 2nd place

you are kidding right. I know of nobody that respects them yes fear, but respect, naw don't think so, When did you last hear man Im glad my son joined the army?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
And follow the PN as the most corrupted. hell to be in 2nd place

you are kidding right. I know of nobody that respects them yes fear, but respect, naw don't think so, When did you last hear man Im glad my son joined the army?

I've been the Airforce for 30 years and I've heard many a parent proudly proclaim that their son or daughter joined up. Of course this is Canada, not other countries. And yes I believe that the majority of people here in Canada respect the Military. As far as the DR, I always show respect to people in uniform, especially if they have a gun pointing at me. I have been stopped at a number of night time checkpoint- never been hassled so far.

May 5, 2007
I have been stopped at a number of night time checkpoint- never been hassled so far.

None of the posts so far have sorted out my original question, but.

This post is what confuses me; military checkpoints; do the military have police powers or are they checking for Terrorists, motor vehicle violations?

Who has the authority to enforce which laws?

Can a soldier issue a citation for speeding? Can the Tourist Police investigate major crimes

Who/what/where is my question

Maybe a flow chart if anyone is able? Like

FBI = Investigates crimes against the US Code, not State laws (Most people don't realize FBI can not investigate a murder)

State Police Investigate major crimes and crimes in areas not served by local PD
County Police tend to overlap State Police within their respective County
Municipal Police operate withing incorporated city limits

Military Have no authority over civilians at any time (With exception of Military bases and Federal installations, not simply US Govt. property but active military installations (Ie: Military Police have no jurisdiction in National Parks etc)

thanks for any help