Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Who are the Police , Military etc

What exactly is the hierarchy of the police/military in the DR?

Ie; Is it National Police, AMET, Tourist Police, Local etc and Military having concurrent jurisdiction or?

I have a friend who is what in the US would be an O-9 or Lt. General who seems impervious to civilian law and it confuses me, are the military not covered by civilian laws?

there also seems to be completely separate organizations such as the Marine Police (Black and white camo uniforms) etc. Maybe I need an explanation of the different military functions to fully understand this

I recall reading some history, the 1965 occupation by the US specifically and it seem there is a "special" group that Wessin led that was not under command of National Authority or?

thanks

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Military men are not civilians, so why would anyone think they would be subjected to civilian law?

They have their own schools, their own hospitals, their own courts, their own everything.

-NALs

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post
    Military men are not civilians, so why would anyone think they would be subjected to civilian law?

They have their own schools, their own hospitals, their own courts, their own everything.

-NALs
    I never realized the DR was under MArtial law

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

-NALs
    In most countries Military are subject to two sets of laws- Military and Civil.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Who is who, not who is subject to what

I'm assuming the average soldier is subject to Civil Law, but General so and so is untouchable .It was the Police Hierarchy and the Military also IF they (Military) act as a domestic Police force also

Is there a National Police, Municipal PD's, regional PDS, "special" Police etc

As in the US you have in each State A State Police, County or Parish Police and Municipal Police

Ex: New York would have NY State Police having Jurisdiction State wide, Nassau County having jurisdiction within any town in Nassau County then Hempstead Town Police having powers in that Town

You also have various agencies such as Game Wardens, Motor registry Police in some areas, but I am looking for the general role of each Police Force in the DR

You would also have FBI having investigative authority for Federal Laws within.

NO Military police force would have any authority within civilian jurisdiction unless it involved active duty Military and then would be handled by the civilian force and assisted only if requested by Civilian authorities, but subject to local State and County laws

In the US, the Military is prohibited from acting upon the civil populace by USC 18 or Posse Comitatus Act which prohibits Army, Navy, Air Force or Marines engaging in civil Law enforcement unless specifically requested by President or Congress following a natural disaster, terrorism etc or the National Guard of a State that is under control of the Governor

Now, how about in DR?

There may be exceptions, but if you are able to answer my original question I am certain you understand what I am asking.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

It's always baffled me too!

As ex-military myself, it amuses me that there are more Generals in this country than NATO! It's also a good idea to have one in your pocket if you can befriend one!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    It's also a good idea to have one in your pocket if you can befriend one!
    So So true.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Right another case of nals hoof in mouth.

-NALs
    Most countries have their own military hospitals for active duty or vets. but never heard of police having their own. Military in the US has their own jails also, police dont.

Miltary in the USA are subject to Military law while on duty on a military installation, if they are off base and not on MILITARY duty then they are subject to civil law, dont care what rank they are. And not allowed to carry weapons off instalation while not on duty.

Little different than here. Which looks more like the wild west. and everybodys got one on their moto.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. I usually look to see who has a gun. That is the person I respect most. I am confused as well. Someone shed some light on this. Please.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not 100% sure but I believe the Hierarchy goes like this:
    Politur, AMET, P.N., and then Military. They all serve different roles in the country and carry firearms and could make arrests and confiscate property. I've seen tactical units of Nacional and some wearing fatigues carrying M-16s.

I've also seen "Policia Municipal" but don't know exactly what their role is. Maybe someone could shed some light.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast