A Little DR history since it's Feb 27th...

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Reactions: Frank the Tank

rortiz79

Aug 8, 2008
Wonder how it would be now if that would've passed...
I'd rather us have our independence than be controlled more than what we are now by the Government in DR.

May 12, 2005
The DR came close to being part of the United States.

In 1869, President Buenaventura Baez negotiated a treaty for U.S. annexation of the Dominican Republic.

Buenaventura Bez - FREE Buenaventura Bez Biography | Encyclopedia.com: Facts, Pictures, Information!

The senate failed to ratify the treaty ( rare ocassion) .

Vote was 28 Yay and 28 Nays

Just a bit of info on Independance Day

U.S. Senate: Art & History Home > Origins & Development > Powers & Procedures > Treaties

Funny you mentioned that. I posted the same stuff in another thread a while ago. Thanks for reminding everyone Carlos, of this interesting part of DR's history. I am always amazed by this story and how close DR came to being another Puerto Rico and part of the US.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Sorry for not being nationalist, but I would have preferred Puerto Rico's status for us as opposed to what we have now. I see very little difference between the two countries in terms of their local politicians. Ours are just as corrupt as theirs, except theirs go to jail..ours don't.
I would take my chances with PR's judicial system and law enforcement. I would have loved to have our armed forces eliminated and have the U.S. umbrella. Our army is so a waste of resources. I would have loved to have automobile exonerations eliminated. Puerto Rico's infrastructure is much better than ours in spite of the current financial situation there. We wouldn't have to have people taking boats to Puerto Rico and getting eaten by sharks.
I rather have a governor than a president. Dominican presidents have too much power. Although Puerto Rico has as big a government bureaucracy, our government jobs are 100% patronage. There is no civil service. Government works much better in P.R.
I could go on and on. I just thgink Puerto Rico is better off than we are and we should have stayed American in 1916. Dominicanship is worthless to me. I just like living here because I cannot do without Dominican women!!
Golo

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Sorry for not being nationalist, but I would have preferred Puerto Rico's status for us as opposed to what we have now. I see very little difference between the two countries in terms of their local politicians. Ours are just as corrupt as theirs, except theirs go to jail..ours don't.
I would take my chances with PR's judicial system and law enforcement. I would have loved to have our armed forces eliminated and have the U.S. umbrella. Our army is so a waste of resources. I would have loved to have automobile exonerations eliminated. Puerto Rico's infrastructure is much better than ours in spite of the current financial situation there. We wouldn't have to have people taking boats to Puerto Rico and getting eaten by sharks.
I rather have a governor than a president. Dominican presidents have too much power. Although Puerto Rico has as big a government bureaucracy, our government jobs are 100% patronage. There is no civil service. Government works much better in P.R.
I could go on and on. I just thgink Puerto Rico is better off than we are and we should have stayed American in 1916. Dominicanship is worthless to me. I just like living here because I cannot do without Dominican women!!
Golo

I think you are not alone in your reasons for being in DR, but assuming that PR women are not a million mile away from DR women in physical attributes, I guess you like their other personality traits...! And I think the reason for them being the way they are is because they were born and brought up in DR and not in a, kind of, semi, US state like PR.

So I think you should not envy PR, because then you would not have what you have now, DR women, the way you like them...... (hope that make sense.... !).