Renewing US Passport

lepeter1

Aug 23, 2007
My passport is coming up for renewal in Feb. of 2010. Two questions. 1) Can I get it renewed via the US Embassy here in Santo Domingo? If so, what is the process. 2) Can I renew it before the expiration date? Thanking you in advance!

Larry

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Answer to both: Yes you can, at the United States Consulate. Or in Puerto Plata. Same deal. Get there as early as possible (Sto Dgo), like 5:30 a.m. No cell phones, pen knives or other dangerous items, please.
If you do it right, you will be finished by 10 a.m. or so....

You need photos, and you can get them across the street or right there in the holding pen area...

HB

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Instead, I found this link which takes you to the correct url for printing the passport renewal form. This is actually the renew by mail form, but according to earlier posts, you can print it out and take it to the consulate for your renewal.

Application for Passport by Mail (Renewals Only): DS 82

Why not take a digital 2X2 picture, application & fee, and Fedx it to The National Passport Center, you'll have it back via EPS in under 3 weeks!

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I'm going to do one better instead.

After doing a search, I found an older thread by Ken that outlined the renewal process for those of us who live here.

That thread had a link to the travel.gov website, which is now dead.

Instead, I found this link which takes you to the correct url for printing the passport renewal form. This is actually the renew by mail form, but according to earlier posts, you can print it out and take it to the consulate for your renewal.

Application for Passport by Mail (Renewals Only): DS 82

As you go through the on line process, you fill in your personal information, after which, you can either print out the completed form, or you can print it first, and fill it in by hand.

You have to have Adobe to print the form.

Next will be to go to the Consulate on Maximo Gomez at some ungodly early hour, to get my pics taken, and do the stand in line routine.

I'll let everyone know how the process goes.

I answered this question for another poster recently. In checking the Embassy website, I discovered that it is now necessary to make an appointment to apply for a passport renewal.

Here is the thread with my earlier post.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/99360-usa-passport-renewal.html#post820880

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Tambo, I don't believe you can take a digital picture, you have to get one of the "official passport photos" taken which is attached to your passport.

I recently printed my own 2X2 pics with a white background, and mailed them in, with the renewal form, and presto got my shiny new passport in 2 weeks. They were as official as the ones you pay $10 for!

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Renewing Passport in POP

Has anyone gone to Pop recently to renew their passport. Do you walk in or make an appointment? How soon can you renew it before the expiration date? Did you need to take a birth certificate? On the Santo Domingo US consulate website it says " Please also bring birth certificate and a copy of it (if born in the U.S)"How long did it take to get the new passport? Do you pick up the renewal or do they courier it to you?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2009
The POP Office only takes your docs and sends them to Santo Domingo for processing. All docs mentioned are required. I'm surprised about the requirement of copy of birth or naturalization certificate though. One would think that once you have a valid US passport you have already demonstrated citizenship.

Website also states: "If renewing your passport in Puerto Plata is more convenient, please call to make an appointment at (809) 586-4204 or (809) 586-8017."

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
I had my Passport renewed in Santo Domingo right before 9-11-01, I had my photo taken in an old van parked close to the Consulate. I remember thinking, nobody's gonna believe me if I tell this story lol....

Do the new Passports issued in the DR have the security feature...RFID chip?........also in the States new Passports are all digitized photos, go to your local CVS or Walmart or wherever, they take the photos..(2) there....wondering if any places there, that do something similar??

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
I just did this in late Nov 2010.

The process in Santo Domingo is you have to make an appointment online... not by telephone, not by stopping by, Online Only !.

Once you have your appointment (which the days available are very limited) you arrive at the hour determined ( Do Not Be Late !) with the online application filled out correctly and with the photos requested, (they did not ask for a copy of or an original birth certificate).
You wait and give your papers and existing passport to a woman, she reviews everything and sends you off to another window to pay for a delivery service to deliver your new passport, ( you get a receipt, a telephone # and website contact) you then go back to the original woman in the window where you pay the fee and she takes everything and says "Thank You, you will receive your new passport in 6 to 8 weeks".
My new passport (valid 10 yrs) came back in 8 weeks to Santo Domingo but it took the "mandatory" delivery service two weeks to get it to me, so ten weeks with out a passport !.

Please note that I do not live in Santo Domingo and by going to the website and calling the delivery service I know that it sat in Santiago for 6 days. They could not tell me exactly when there would be a delivery to the Samana region.

If you do this process in POP you may be able to get out of the mandatory delivery service and your passport may be sent directly to the sub-consulate in POP which may save some time.
They do not process new passports here in the country, they are all done in the US, hence the 6 to 8 week waiting period.

Think a bit before you start the process because if you think you may have to travel during this 8 or in my case 10 week process you CAN NOT ! as they have the passport you are replacing.

trust this is of some help
LT

Reactions: rice&beans

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Correction from post #13 digitized photos are NOT mandatory when giving pictures...(it's just alot easier)....but they will have that pressed on digitized look when you recieve your new passport......

Last edited: