Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Where can you get TEFL certified in the DR?

Hi !
    I'd like to know where you can get TEFL certified here in the Dominican Republic (Santiago/santo Domingo) ?
    any answers would be appreciated !

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sybillecutey View Post
    Hi !
    I'd like to know where you can get TEFL certified here in the Dominican Republic (Santiago/santo Domingo) ?
    any answers would be appreciated !
    im not sure but in Santiago at Language American partnership in San Luis street in their ad i see it says TEFL test

Next monday while im in town i can stop by and ask them about it if u want..

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont bother wasting your money on it. It isnt worth the paper it is written on! Im a qualified teacher and know that no school worth its salt is impressed by that.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eralc777 View Post
    Dont bother wasting your money on it. It isnt worth the paper it is written on! Im a qualified teacher and know that no school worth its salt is impressed by that.
    Are you sure about that? My son took the 135 hr TESL Canada course, which he took specifically because many schools finds it essential for their teacher to have for teaching English as a foreign language. He had no problem finding a job. Anyways she said TEFL certified and I assume they are almost the same. Of course there are plenty of paper mills out there that you can gt your degree from, and still not understand anything. Teaching is a vocation and there are many teachers that have a great deal of paper qualifications but can't teach a lick.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by santiago2008 View Post
    im not sure but in Santiago at Language American partnership in San Luis street in their ad i see it says TEFL test

Next monday while im in town i can stop by and ask them about it if u want..
    Thank you, are you talking about the New York center institute ?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I am sure about it. It doesnt qualify you to be able to teach nor does it give the knowledge needed to teach English as a second language. As a qualified teacher, I have rarely come across a school where they accept that without a teaching qualification. AND then if a qualified teacher has got a TEFL certificate its not considered half as important as actual experience.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sybillecutey View Post
    Thank you, are you talking about the New York center institute ?
    nahhh....im talking about American Language Partnership...its in San Luis almost with Carreras...
    i will check tomorrow and let you know

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

American doesn't do it. They don't even give the TOEFL test, which is the test that non-english speakers take. They'll PREPARE you for the TOEFL and then send you to Santo Domingo to take the test.
    As far as being certified as a teacher, it will help if you're applying for jobs IN THE STATES but most schools outside of the states don't really care about it.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eralc777 View Post
    Yes I am sure about it. It doesnt qualify you to be able to teach nor does it give the knowledge needed to teach English as a second language. As a qualified teacher, I have rarely come across a school where they accept that without a teaching qualification. AND then if a qualified teacher has got a TEFL certificate its not considered half as important as actual experience.
    While they ask for a BA to teach ESL in Japan, Korea...etc the only place it is a real requirement is Canada, England, and the USA. My son has taught at Jilin University in China and in Korea at a reputable school. He has a two year business diploma, and a TESL Canada Course. He is a published poet and has the ability to teach. Does he have a teaching degree, no, but it doesn't seem to stop him from getting a job teaching. My wife is a teacher, a principal, and has many years of teaching.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

hum I see.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast