Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Water Cooled Computers

I'd be grateful to hear from computer geeks and wizards, please. Does anyone have a water cooled computer? This sort of thing:

YouTube - Water Cooled Computer

Second question: does anyone living in DR have one? Third question, almost daren't ask because I can guess what some of the responses will be would there be a future for these devices in the DR?

More info here:
    BBC NEWS | Technology | Making the computer really personal

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Why Would You Want Or Need One.

I am not a Computer Geek but I remember the difference between air cooled engines vs. the need for radiator etc.

What would happen if there were a power surge and water meets electricity.

Just Curious as this makes no sense to me.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I honestly don't think there'd be a market for the stuff here. The 2 biggest reasons to use watercooling are a) sound reduction, and b)heat reduction when overclocking.

As far as sound reduction, do you really think anyone in THIS country is offended by noise?

Most of the computer stuff I see for sale here is not exactly upper end stuff and I wouldn't want to risk overclocking it.

What I have thought about is how I could incorporate an Eheim pump into my 5 gallon water bottle. Now that would be a convenience I think might sell. Problem is the relative cost of a decent (ie, Eheim) pump.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Reality check (long and geeky)

Liquid cooling is used to keep components from frying up, when overclocking CPUs, ram and video cards.
    It appears that almost all overclockers are gamers, trying to squeeze that extra little bit out of their PCs.
    Overclockers need a certain amount of intelligence to do the job, yet have to be dumb enough to not understand economics.
    Mobos (motherboards) that allow for serious overclocking are pricier than regular boards and if you add in the cost of liquid cooling, the additional money spent to get the desired results is greater than the cost of buying a higher performance CPU.
    There could be exceptions to that rule, like in the case of anyone using the world's most powerful processor and not being able to purchase any better and also in the case of those gamers who strap two video cards together and overclock them to the max, for gaming purposes.
    Those "freaks" who do take their gaming that seriously and don't mind spending thousands of dollars on a puter, are but a minuscule percentile of the PC market, so it is a tiny niche market that barely exists in the DR.
    One of the articles in the links, states that overclocking is free, yet it is clear that they have to use expensive motherboards and invest in pricey cooling systems.

Case in point.
    I just finished building a PC with an Intel Q8200 CPU, on an inexpensive AS Rock mobo, with 4 gigs of OCZ ram bought on special (40 bux) and an EVGA Nvidia Gforce 8500 GT graphics card.
    Case, power supply, DVD burner, wifi card, Sound Blaster audio card and a 10,000 rpm Western Digital Velociraptor, along with the above mentioned guts, the total cost was $725 US.
    The Passmark Benchmark score of the Q8200 out of the box is over 3,000.
    In order to overclock a 2000 scoring dual core to that performance, the board alone would cost $200+ US more, the ideal ram would cost $100+ US more, and an adequate cooling system would cost yet another $160+ US and the total of that extra expenditure is already greater than the total I spent for the Mobo with Q8200 and 4 gigs of ram ($280 US).
    Include an extra $200 US for the base price of the dual core and ram and you are looking at an expense of $660 US to get the same performance I got for $280.
    Where is the sense of that?

Extreme overclockers are a strange breed of geeks who do it with pride and could be classified obsessed.
    I am not overlooking the fact that top of the line graphics cards are made to be overclocked and one can argue that it is free, but that is just semantics, as the manufacturing companies are playing the marketing game with the suckers who buy them by understating the specs of the card, then go on to giving you overclocking software along with instructions on how to do so.
    If the "sport" of overclocking is what thrills you in life, then giddy up.
    If getting the maximum performance for the dollar is your game, extreme overclocking is somewhere between idiotic and ridiculous.

PS: I will try to follow up this post with real life examples in layman's terms, maybe with pix.
    PPS: Anyone wanting me to build them an inexpensive super puter, I do it for free. It's my hobby and I love doing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Real life examples.

Puter #1 (no overclocking) Q8200 benchmark = 3,129. Price $285 US.

Purchase

PortaTech.com - Barebones with Intel CPU
    Cheapest mobo, fan & ram.

OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2x2048MB) OCZ2N800SR4GK at TigerDirect.com

Benchmark

PassMark CPU List

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Puter #2 (to be overclocked) E8400 benchmark = 2,018.
    Overclocked to 2,684 aspiring for 2,884. Price $517 US.

Purchase

PortaTech.com - Barebones with Intel CPU
    Better mobo for overclocking, bigger fan and faster ram.

Benchmark

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

According to this article,
    Motherboard and RAM for Overclocking E8400 to 4 GHz
    the E8400 could be overclocked from 3 GHz to 4 GHz, an increase of 33%, taking the CPU benchmark score to 2,684 and to be generous, we will allow for another 200 points for general performance increase because of the high speed ram, making a grand total of 2,884, still falling short of the 3,000+ scored by the Q8200 in the 1st example, with the cheap mobo and ram.

$285 US is more appealing to spend than $517 and the above scenarios do not even take into account any liquid cooling which would bring the cost up around $700 US for puter #2.

Conclusion

Puter #1 outperforms # 2 at half* the price. (* = approx.)
    Like I said... Purchasing a system for extreme overclocking is somewhere between idiotic and ridiculous.

PS: Quad cores can have advantages and/or disadvantages when compared to a dual core, depending on the nature of the program being used, so it is possible that an individual piece of software (a game) could be slightly faster with the lower scoring dual core, but it would be minimal and not even come close to justifying double the price. Of course, the reverse could occur, where the quad beats the pants off of the dual.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Lambada; please.read comment on you TUBE BY

.................................................................................................

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DOMINCAN JOE View Post

.................................................................................................
    That's a lot of reading, Vince.
    There are 78 comments on that clip.
    Could you copy the comment here instead of us having to search?
    BTW: One of the comments mentions,
    i used 400$ to my water cooler with a good pomp,
    That says it all.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Barebone PCs

Builds that make sense.

A barebones build (case, power supply, DVD burner, motherboard, CPU, fan, ram & decent 7,200 rpm hard drive) with an Intel E2200 (benchmarks @ 1,200) would cost only $265 US.

The same with a Q8200 (benchmarks @ 3,000+) with a 10,000 rpm Velociraptor hard drive would cost $565 US.

The 1st benchmark shows the performance difference between the E2200 CPU and the Q8200.
    The 2nd shows the difference between a 7,200 rpm SATA hard drive and a 10,000 rpm Velociraptor.
    Both tests show the better system more than doubling the power at approx. double the price.
    This makes sense.
    Paying double the price or more to overclock and gain 50% performance (if you're lucky) does not make sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good balance

The following screenshot is the Windows Index Score for my quad core PC.

The maximum score possible is 5.9.
    As the results show, this PC gets the highest possible score for speed and slightly below for graphics.
    I am not a gamer and I don't need better graphics, in fact, I don't even require graphics as good as I have, but I happened to come across a great video card for $65 US that normally sells for double, so I bought it. The system shown would cost $630 US. My actual cost is greater, as I also added a Sound Blaster sound card, as well as a wifi card at a grand total of $725 US.

In short, a top of the line high performance PC with normal graphics can be built for $565 US.
    When you hear the gamers talking about buying cooling systems at $400 US and paying hundreds of dollars more for overclocking type mobos and ram, only to get less results than the build above, then you have to wonder if their heads are truly attached to their bodies.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    That's a lot of reading, Vince.
    There are 78 comments on that clip.
    Could you copy the comment here instead of us having to search?
    BTW: One of the comments mentions,

That says it all.
    Quote Originally Posted by DOMINCAN JOE View Post

CLICK ON Comment(s) marked as spam

v7nse (2 hours ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Lambada;
    I'd be grateful to hear from computer geeks and wizards
    Does any one living in DR have a water cooled computer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky;
    : Anyone wanting me to build them an inexpensive super puter, I do it for free. It's my hobby and I love doing it.
    Rocky i am on my way Lambada lol
    Sorry Marco that all it is

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast