i seriously need help.

imissdr

Feb 5, 2009
Hi! I've been searching and searching here on dr1 and all over google for any info. Please help. I would like to be a destination representative. You know, the person that great you when you get at the airport, the person that take care of you at your resort, complaints, special request etc etc. I know that the companies will do hiring at around june -july but until then i need some more info! None of these companies are answering me when im asking questions on the job...Let me explain one thing: Here in Quebec, canada, there is a law that require ME letting my landlord know if im re-newing my lease or not. And they need to know 3 months in advance (before the end of my lease) AND thant is now for me. So since I have deceided to go work in dr for the next "buzy periode" I have told them that i'll be gone by 31 of may. I can find a place to stay until departure time but i still need to know things like: what kind of room will i get when i get there? what kind of pay will i get (i know, i know, aproximatly, between this and that) i need to know for sure. (there is storage to pay here in canada while away, cell phone and other bills) I just need to know these things to plan everything the best way. But these hiring companies wont answer until its hiring periode!!! How can I picture myself working/living there without proper informations....im not 18 years old...no car,no house...im 30 with responsabilities! Anyone can help? do you know anyone that have worked on a resort? AND NOT as a g.o Im not interested in knowing about babysitter on a resort or waiter, ONLY destination rep. Maybe you know websites, blogs, forum.Thank you so much!!!:::ermm:

carrie

Sep 16, 2004
Gee... you are going to leave Canada to work in D.R. for three months. You need six months D.R. salary to just pay your airfare and maybe one month of storage.

Its not worth it. Think again.

As bad as the economy is in canada, usa etc - the D.R. has a lower count of vacationers. And by the looks of things if they vacation they will do it closer to home for less money.

Please rethink. and NO i am not being negative just talking straight which is what i do.

carrie

p.s. i worked for a large international law firm in nyc and that firm merged in 2007 with another one and they closed their doors in November 2008 - so like 400+ folks in nyc don't have jobs...including big time corporate partners are jobless as well as many support staff friends, paralegals etc. I was in the law firm world for 28 years and I have never seen so many layoffs and folks real scared that their unemployment will run out and they will be homeless. These are professionals...who use to hop a plane to d.r., jamaica, st martin, etc for a 4 day weekend.

so times have changed and you can't count on what is a maybe but rather with what is in your hand at the moment.

Blessed Be

imissdr

Feb 5, 2009
thanks anna. But like i said in my thread...i've read and read everything i could ever find on this site and others...my request is actually to have more ideas...more websites. and Carrie: There is canadien companies that hire destination rep and they pay in canadien money with canadien salary...not in pesos. So i know an average on how much i would get paid. And i am OK with it. Also these companies pay for the airline ticket and room and food. What i need to know is what do these rooms look like. Idealy i would get some canadien people that have done this job to talk to me. and tell me about their experience. by the way, im not going there empty handed...you think ill have enough of 6 grand canadien to survive there???

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
thanks anna. But like i said in my thread...i've read and read everything i could ever find on this site and others...my request is actually to have more ideas...more websites. and Carrie: There is canadien companies that hire destination rep and they pay in canadien money with canadien salary...not in pesos. So i know an average on how much i would get paid. And i am OK with it. Also these companies pay for the airline ticket and room and food. What i need to know is what do these rooms look like. Idealy i would get some canadien people that have done this job to talk to me. and tell me about their experience. by the way, im not going there empty handed...you think ill have enough of 6 grand canadien to survive there???

I suppose you mean canadien $$ when you say canadien salary... not in pesos. If you think the companies are going to pay you the same salary working in D.R. than working in Canada, well well forget about it, you'll have a big surprise.

Are you graduated in tourism, do you speak Spanish ??

imissdr

Feb 5, 2009
yes i have graduate in tourism, i have 8 years of experience in customer service, i presently work in a hotel, i speak french-spanish and english AND i spend alomost a year in dr 10 years ago...qualified enoug???

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Thre is plenty of information about renting apartments here on DR1. The fact that you plan on being here only three months will more than likely be a problem as 6 mos is the norm. Expect to pay RD8k to15k for an apartment, not necessarily with ac nor a dependable power supply, ie you maybe required to buy an inverter.

Use the search feature of this forum as all the answers you want are there.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I know nothing about Canadian destination reps but British reps will always be given a room in the hotel they are looking after. They are usually paid a basic salary of around 1000us$ I think in the Uk and then make commission on selling excursions in local currency. The best way of finding a job is to contact the head rep who is based here. No idea how you go about finding their names though!!!

BabyBlu

Jan 20, 2004
When I was living in the States, I worked for a tour company, and the destination reps were given a room at one of the A.I's. But it was not like a regular hotel room, the one I saw when we went to visit the rep. was actually in the basement of the hotel, was about the size of what I imagine a jail cell to be, had no fancy furnishings, no hot water, they had to share a room w/ another rep. Have to provide your own t.v/radio. Most of the reps just sayed there until they could find their own accomadations.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that she is going for only 3 months. Read again. She said her lease in Canada is running out and she has to give the landlord a 3 month notice if she will be renewing it or not but plans on ending her lease as of May 31 anyway.

She also said that they hire in June or July for the busy season, no mention on how long she is going for but sounds like she'll try for a least a season right?

Last edited:

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
you just go onto the tour companies websites and they list the jobs they are hiring for.

if destination rep jobs are available they will be posted.

you could call direct to those companies and speak with someone.

imissdr

Feb 5, 2009
3months??

thanks anna!! she is so right! where did you getthe idea that i want to stay 3 months??? i know for a fact that i might never come back when i go! i love DR. i am aware of their culture. the bad and the good side. I know exactly what im getting myself into, im just in need of more infos. Thank you to everyone that replied so far! keep it coming!

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I know nothing about Canadian destination reps but British reps will always be given a room in the hotel they are looking after. They are usually paid a basic salary of around 1000us$ I think in the Uk and then make commission on selling excursions in local currency. The best way of finding a job is to contact the head rep who is based here. No idea how you go about finding their names though!!!

From what I have heard that's the same about Canadian reps. except about finding a job by contacting the head rep in the D.R.

She has to contact the company in Canada.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
yes i have graduate in tourism, i have 8 years of experience in customer service, i presently work in a hotel, i speak french-spanish and english AND i spend alomost a year in dr 10 years ago...qualified enoug???

You don't have to be so agressive. It seems, from your first post, that you want the job with knowing nada about the job.

sammystorm19

Apr 8, 2007
A lot of the Destination Rep jobs you can't pick where you want to you. If you get employed by one of them, they put you where you are needed. You need to know about the country you will be employed in and also a little bit about the hotels.

From what others have said, yes you get paid in Canadian Dollars, but it isn't a lot. You are also always working, not a lot of time for the beach or just hanging out. You need to be on call about 24-7 incase something comes up at one of the hotels.

They usually just posting jobs in the summer months for the busy season that starts in November. You will need to look on their websites, Monster or Workopolis. The interview process is usually a few of them and many and I mean many people apply.

I hope that this gives you some more information.

Cheers
Erin

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
La Mariposa, this is meant in my kindliest, most aunty-like fashion and with no intention to offend in any way but............let us in the mirror look ;) .

I just had a look and I must admit I look pretty nice as usual:laugh:

Let's just say it was not obvious from your first post that....

As Sammystorm said in post 15, you don't choose the country you want to work.

Last edited: